Most flat tires on one ride

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

What is the most flats you have had on one ride?

I had 4 flats on one 30 mile ride. Thank the lord for patches as I only had 2 tubes with me (thorns are a bitch around here).

4 for me too,but I rode through a thorn(goat head)patch just before getting to work and broke all the head’s off riding through the parkin lot and didnt notice or know that my tire’s were full of em till after I fixed 3 flat’s and then figured out that my tire’s were full of thorn’s and it took me forever to make sure I had all of em out of the tire and I ended up patching about 6 or 7 hole’s.At least the last stop I had to make was at a park so I had a comfy spot in the grass to lounge in while I patched hole’s in my tube’s.

TSD

I’ve had many flates. However I hate carrying the extra luggage to repair them. I’d always end up pushing the bike home. After the last 2.8 mile push I decided the extra stuff wasn’t that bad.

TSD

I to have a camelback, I used it for about a year. The extra weight on my back gets on my nerves when I get in the mood to really thrash through some trails or the urban jungle. I’ve found the small packs the fit under the saddle seem to work for me. Them seem to hide the weight so I don’t really notice it as much. It’s amazing how much you can fit in them. Note the pump gets attached to the extra bottle holder mounts. 😀

TSD

Here in Indiana there’s not hardcore DH riding availible. So I can not really relate. I have friends in the cool mountain bike parts of the country (AZ, CO) who don’t take full advantage of their resources. Glad to hear you are. 😀

TSD

Sorry I should say in my area there not alot to chose from.

Go tubeless and don’t worry about flats!!!

Well, at least your chances of getting a flat are greatly reduced. I used to flat at least once every other week until I went tubeless and use Stans. I’ve had 2 ‘flats’ in the last 3 years (including 2 trips to Moab, 1 to fruita, Monarch Crest, and hundreds upon hundreds of local rides – with cacti and the occasional rattler). Those 2 flats were ripping a 1" gash into the back tire and hitting a rock wrong and tearing the front tire of the bead.

Refill your tires about every 6 mos. (which takes no more than 5 minutes if you use the syringe) and never worry about flats again.

It’s really cool to come home and see the little wet spots (please – don’t go there 😳 ) where the Stans covered a potential flat.

my brother had 2 flats…and the pump broke on the 2nd…it was a long hike back 😠

I had three flats in one 11 mile ride on the Bartram Trail in Auburn. For me that’s miserable. The following week, I went to the shop and bought four kenda downhill tubes. I used two of them to replace the tubes that I already did have in the tires. I think that the other two were a waist of money, since I haven’t used them in about five months. Not really, I’m glad that I have spares.

"FinsFan" wrote

my brother had 2 flats…and the pump broke on the 2nd…it was a long hike back 😠

That sucks.

I see you are from Richmond. I’m in Roanoke Rapids, NC (right down I95 from you). We try and get up there about once a week to ride (Pocahontas, Powhite, et al). Of course the broken arm has put a halt to that for about 2 more weeks. Maybe we’ll see you around the trails sometime.

"spazjensen" wrote

I went to the shop and bought four kenda downhill tubes. I used two of them to replace the tubes that I already did have in the tires. I think that the other two were a waist of money, since I haven’t used them in about five months. Not really, I’m glad that I have spares.

Are the Kenda downhill tubes thicker tubes than the standard tubes? Might have to look into a couple.

Yes they are greatly. I can’t remember the exact thickness measurement, but I do know that it is twice as thick as the standard tube. They work great. The only thing is that when you put them in, depending on your size of tire, they are hard to get up inside the tire and rim. Took me about 20 minutes to get the thing to stay in there so that I could fill it with air, which I had to do slowly.

"Jason_B." wrote

I see you are from Richmond. I’m in Roanoke Rapids, NC (right down I95 from you). We try and get up there about once a week to ride (Pocahontas, Powhite, et al). Of course the broken arm has put a halt to that for about 2 more weeks. Maybe we’ll see you around the trails sometime.

Yeah, we’ll be at Pocahontas Sunday morning 😃 , Hope your arm heals ok

They are thicker tubes like spaz mentioned. I use them in my Maxxis & Michelin DH tires on both my DH/FR MTB’s especially for DH racing, and I have been debating about putting them in all my VelociRaptors on my other MTB’s as well. Great tubes by far!

I just bought some downhill tubes,Q tube’s downhill 26×2.4-2.75" for my WTB Moto Raptors 2.4’s because I pinch flated up in fruita this weekend on a curb in town.hahahaha.First time I’ve had downhill tube’s,but I used to run thorn proof all the time so I’m back to a little heavier set up again.Just got em and have only had em on the trail once but they seemed good so far,I mean they didnt seem too heavy but I didnt get a real big ride in yet either,but I think they’ll be alright.I got em for $5 a peice,so if your up in fruita head on over to singletrack’s and see if they still have em.

slight bit more weight.

Funny you should mention more weight,I went to see the doctor the other day and weighed in at 292 plbs.,I guess I gotta change my signature on my profile now.hahaha.
      I use to feel a difference with my old marin pine mountain xc hard tail with the skinny tire’s and the thorn proof tube’s in em.I could really feel the mass rotating on that bike.But with the all mountain trail bike I have now I dont feel the difference I guess.

Its funny. When I was looking around for some DH tubes, I went to two LBS’s. The first one I went to, the guy said that it would feel like an extra tire on there. I asked him what kind of riding he does, he said all road. His bike weighs in I think it was 8.6 lbs on the scale. I told him that I would get a second opinon. Went to another LBS, the guy there is a big time DH/FR rider. Told him what I wanted, and what it was for. He handed me the Kenda’s and said the weight would not be noticable in the slightest bit, and he right. I’ve been hooked since. The only thing is that I have no reason get some more since the first set I have on there has not failed me yet, and I have an extra set lying in my bedroom. Cured all of my flat problems.

HAHA. Went riding yesterday and didn’t have a problem, but watch me get one over the weekend.

Well, okay so it definitely wasn’t from one person but a guy we spoke to at the Interbike Outdoor demo estimated there had been more than 200 flat tires over the course of 2 days at Bootleg Canyon. IMBA had tents set up every mile or so on the trail and I snapped this pic at just one of the 4-5 aid stations on the course.

Kenda supplied the tubes gratis and every time we rode up the trail we saw someone walking a bike down the hill with at least one flat (sometimes two). We even saw a fair number of folks riding with flat tires, no doubt unconcerned since the bikes weren’t their own ;)

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.