modifying bashguard

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys/gals,

Just wondering if anyone has modified their bashguard in any way. I was thinking about taking the rotary tool to mine and cutting 3-4 small teeth along the portion which takes the brunt of the log-overs and such. I could definitely use some more grip since it tends to slide on such obstacles. In my mind, a thick bashguard with a few teeth is better than a big chainring susceptible to bending.

You can buy bashguards that are designed with half-teeth to chew their way over roots. There’s also a new product which is a hard rubber bashguard that acts as a third tire almost, allowing your bashguard to have some traction on wet roots and rocks.

I’d suggest buying one of these rather than mutiliating your existing bashguard, removing any material is likely to compromise it’s strength.

Well a bashguard is designed to slide over objects. If you were to put teeth on them and then try to slide over something, it will grab and throw you off the bike. Also, when you hit a rock it will grind the teeth off or shear them off.

"ltud" wrote

You can buy bashguards that are designed with half-teeth to chew their way over roots.

Man, you must have some gnarly roots where you ride if your bash guard is hitting them.

"ltud" wrote

There’s also a new product which is a hard rubber bashguard that acts as a third tire almost, allowing your bashguard to have some traction on wet roots and rocks.

I think Goo highlighted one of these in a recent write up.

Good points. The guard in question is a nashbar bashguard. I wanted something cheap and tough, not necessarily lightweight. It’s worked nicely thus far… except for sliding on big log-overs. I’ll just leave the guard unmodified and focus my energy on improving my skill on such obstacles.

Well,you could cut the teeth so that when you need to slide over somthing it will,and if you need the traction it will.Make a rabbit cut and angle the cut forward and back so that unless you were pedaling backwards it wouldnt catch on anything but still catch while you were pedaling forwards.Just a thought,I dont think your idea is totally useless,hahahaha.

It will help you if you "preload" your fork and then pop the front end over and then push your body forward, the bike should follow. But be sure you have adequate speed.

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="ltud":my5ymepa]You can buy bashguards that are designed with half-teeth to chew their way over roots.

Man, you must have some gnarly roots where you ride if your bash guard is hitting them.[/quote:my5ymepa]

You don’t know the half of it lol.

I actually don’t hit my (36T) bashguard a whole heck of a lot, maybe once a ride, and usually on rocks. I used to hit my (44T) big ring a lot though.

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="ltud":my5ymepa]There’s also a new product which is a hard rubber bashguard that acts as a third tire almost, allowing your bashguard to have some traction on wet roots and rocks.

I think Goo highlighted one of these in a recent write up.[/quote:my5ymepa]

That must have been where I saw it, that Otter thing he went to 😀

"dozzerboy" wrote

Well a bashguard is designed to slide over objects. If you were to put teeth on them and then try to slide over something, it will grab and throw you off the bike. Also, when you hit a rock it will grind the teeth off or shear them off.

The ones with half-teeth that I was referring to are shaped so that they will slide forward, but grab and pull forward when rotating. Kinda like a ratchet gear, sorry I can’t describe it better and I’m too lazy to embed a pic lol.

A rubber bashgaurd would certainly have the potential to fetch up on obstacles though.

As long as it was a harder rubber that won’t tear. I have been looking at bashguards for my next build. A Santa Cruz nomad.

Is this what everyone is taking about?
      http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping … hp?id=3743

That’s similar to what I was talking about.

"ltud" wrote

That’s similar to what I was talking about.

Me too,although when I suggested how to do it manually by making angled rabbit cuts,I was thinking of having the cuts not so close together so that there was still some surface area left to slide on instead of the whole OD being all teeth.Anyone actually have one of tose bash gaurds in the pic above to say how well it works???I kinda like the idea of having one of these but probably wouldn’t buy one until I heard how well they work or don’t work…

Almost all of our ‘bashguarding’ out here consists of rocks, not logs, so everyone I know has a smooth one.

True madd,although I would think you could still get some kinda bite even on the rocks.Not all the time but would’nt be totally ueless out here.

On another note,I have just kept pedalling over some stuff and the angle of the cranks and turning will help push you over somtimes too,seems that having a bash with some teeth could help eliviate the "other" times.Also,like dozzer mentioned earlier in this thread,you can short hop your way up and over stuff with momentum and bunnyhopping technique.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.