Moab vs Fruita?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Have limited time and was trying to decide between Moab, Ut and Fruita, Co. Any thoughts from those of you who have been to both? Best time of the year? Looks like you can’t go wrong in either spot. Always heard about Moab, but looking at Fruita made me question which is the bestspot.

You truly can’t go wrong in either spot.

Best time is spring or fall for either–almost identical weather between the two.

It would help if we knew what kind of rider you are and what type of riding you prefer–but then again, maybe it wouldn’t–both places have a great array of rides covering all styles and every ability level.

A decade ago, I would have said Moab, hands down. Then Fruita came on real strong. A few years ago I was pretty solid in the Fruita camp, but Moab has added so much in the last few years, I refuse to choose.

I know I’m not being much help. How ’bout this: if you don’t have time to do both, pick whichever one is easiest to get to from where you are–either that or flip a coin. There’s really no wrong answer here.

Then resolve to come back again and do whichever one you didn’t do this time!

I live in Colorado Springs and ride locally- toughest trail I’ve ridden and loved was Blackjack in Buffalo Creek. It challanged me to my max! As far as style I love everything, haven’t met a trail I don’t like. Leaning towards Fruita, but like your idea of just making 2 trips. Thanks for your input.

Gotta go with Fruita on this one (if you include the whole Grand Junciton area), it has more progressive, bike-specific trails than Moab (PBR at 18 mile road is the latest example of this). I love the classics in Moab as much as the next guy, I think Fruita’s got it as far awesomeness per mile.

Both are great. Fruita has more singletrack and in general, a more varied trail surface. 18 Road is truly unique while the Kokopelli area is more "Moabesque" as are some of the rim rides over in Rabbit Valley. Both are best in fall and spring, but if you’re really pushing it early or late in the season, Moab is a bit drier and warmer than Fruita. If I had to choose, I’d say Fruita but very tough call.

Tough call indeed. But as has been posted already . . . you can’t go wrong with either one. If you are a person who likes to ride to the trails many of Moab’s are easier to get to by bike than Fruita’s. We also found good brewhouses in both towns for after ride drinks and bragging. Sounds like Fruita might be closer to home for you but not necessarily enough to completely cancel out Moab. Tough decision, good luck!

Can you still ride either of these trails this late in the season?

"Gdb49" wrote

Can you still ride either of these trails this late in the season?

It’s hit or miss. Call a local shop for current info.

Fruita: http://otesports.com/locations/fruita/

Moab: http://chilebikes.com/site/

So are you aware there were 40 miles of singletrack added in 2011?
      The Pipe Dream hangs on the west valley wall. It is sick! You will want to ride that one.

Also, this year another 40 miles has been completed.
      The Magnificent 7 combines the idea of the old Gemini Bridges Road, but swerves onto some fabulous sections of single track.

The Klondike area has one parking lot with a whole lotta trail choices.

Go to Moab dudles.

Adventurer is right on–that’s why I said I would have easily picked Fruita up until a couple years ago, but Moab has added so much since, and he didn’t even mention my personal fave of the new, Deadman’s Ridge, part of the new additions to the Brands Trails area or Dead Horse State Park, which is novice friendly but also crazy good fun for an advanced rider.

I loooooves me some PBR at 18 Road/Fruita, but that’s just a couple miles compared to all the new stuff Moab has added.

But then again, all this talk about new stuff is pretty irrelevant–both places have far more than you could ride in a single trip, so don’t sweat that.

GBD49,
      I’m also a Springs guy and I’ll definitely ditto your Blackjack experience. I ride the the black trails at Palmer Park and my fave on my end of town (SW) is the technical descent down Section 16, but nothing put the fear in me like Blackjack!

If you want a Blackjack-like experience that doesn’t threaten to maim you and has really sweet flow, hit the Lunch Loops area between Grand Junction and Fruita and do Holy Cross–I’ve never heard an advanced rider not put that in at least his/her top 5.

But wait–you’re a Springs guy–you definitely live close enough to hit both of these destinations without too much expenditure. Flip a coin and have a ball–then go back to the other at the earliest opportunity.

Besides, deciding which one to go to is just the start. Then you’ll have to ask which specific trails to ride at your choice, and answering that won’t be any easier!

because moab is the epicenter of the mtb universe, i go there first. also fall is better than spring due to the lower wind speed. i was in both in sept and they are both great so be sure to ultimately do both

I live in Moab. We just had the high school mtb state championships. 70 and sunny.All trails are open. MOAB Brand Trails, Klondike Trails, Mag7, Slickrock…etc. All trails are expanding with more trailheads all the time. Moab is still crowded with visitors.

"snillumdivad" wrote

I live in Moab. We just had the high school mtb state championships. 70 and sunny.All trails are open. MOAB Brand Trails, Klondike Trails, Mag7, Slickrock…etc. All trails are expanding with more trailheads all the time. Moab is still crowded with visitors.

Is the Whole Enchilada back open?

If so, I suggest that the OP definitely hit the Whole Enchilada. One of the best experiences I’ve ever had on a mountain bike!

However, I assumed the top would be snowed in already?

The Whole Enchilada has been kaputt since late September. Weather was gorgeous up until yesterday and about a foot of snow fell overnight.

I like them both but prefer St George/Hurricane to either.

"abegold" wrote

I like them both but prefer St George/Hurricane to either.

Agreed. And I would also add Sedona to the list.

"skibum" wrote

Adventurer is right on–that’s why I said I would have easily picked Fruita up until a couple years ago, but Moab has added so much since, and he didn’t even mention my personal fave of the new, Deadman’s Ridge, part of the new additions to the Brands Trails area or Dead Horse State Park, which is novice friendly but also crazy good fun for an advanced rider.

I loooooves me some PBR at 18 Road/Fruita, but that’s just a couple miles compared to all the new stuff Moab has added.

But then again, all this talk about new stuff is pretty irrelevant–both places have far more than you could ride in a single trip, so don’t sweat that.

GBD49,
      I’m also a Springs guy and I’ll definitely ditto your Blackjack experience. I ride the the black trails at Palmer Park and my fave on my end of town (SW) is the technical descent down Section 16, but nothing put the fear in me like Blackjack!

If you want a Blackjack-like experience that doesn’t threaten to maim you and has really sweet flow, hit the Lunch Loops area between Grand Junction and Fruita and do Holy Cross–I’ve never heard an advanced rider not put that in at least his/her top 5.

But wait–you’re a Springs guy–you definitely live close enough to hit both of these destinations without too much expenditure. Flip a coin and have a ball–then go back to the other at the earliest opportunity.

Besides, deciding which one to go to is just the start. Then you’ll have to ask which specific trails to ride at your choice, and answering that won’t be any easier!

Having ridden Palmer and Black Jack as well as Fruita/GJ and Moab here’s what we do. We go to Moab every year and generally hit something in GJ/Fruita on the way out or way back. Free Lunch to Pucker Up is as good as any free ride trails I have ridden. We also have done a three day weekend in the GJ/Fruita as well. There’s tons to ride there. Moab is adding more trails each year. If you can get to Moab in the fall there’s not a lot like the Whole Enchilada Downhill. You really can’t go wrong in either place.

Both places are absolutely incredible.

I spent each spring riding in both places and I think it will depend on what you’re looking for.

There is a lot more slick rock in Moab, the desert looks similar to Mars. It’s incredible to visit, there’s a great amount of trails that have technical rides with good climbs.

However, Fruita trails are hands down better. They have many more options, much more progressive rides, technical rock gardens that are perfectly placed for the most challenging and enjoyable mountain bike experience.

Here’s how I deal with the decision:
      Fruita = Spring
      Moab = Fall
      Each is too good to exclude!

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.