Moab Trail Conditions

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone know what the trail conditions are like in Moab, UT? We’re heading there this upcoming Saturday (3/11/07). I think most everything is dry, but I’m wondering about the higher elevation portions of some trails.

Also, this is my first trip there. Besides the well-known trails listed on this site, are there any lesser/little known trails that are ‘must dos’?

thanx

Hey Dauw!

I rode the Kokopelli trail last May and ran into snow when I hit the La Sals. Eventhough the fresh snow had melted by mid-morning, the upper portion of Porcupine Rim (the connect from the La Sal Mtn Loop Rd to Sand Ck Rd) was a royal mess of sticky mud. I remember coming down the Sand Ck Rd and seeing loads of people riding up looking at me with covered in mud wondering where I came from (it got considerably drier the closer I got to Moab). Even walking/carrying my bike down the trail was a royal PITA. I slipped on my a** so many times. I wanted to finish off Kokopelli with a ride around Slickrock, but the mud has solidified by then and I’m sure I would’ve broken something.

Geyser Pass TH is still showing 31" of snow. Although this trailhead is roughly 2,000ft above the top of Porcupine Rim, I think it’s a good indicator of the conditions in the La Sals and the high points on Kokopelli.

Don’t forget to give us a trip report! 😃

Jim
      …who wishes he was going too! 😆

does anyone know or have a prediction for the weather in moab next weekend the 3rd and 4th. of november.

Well, as expected this time of year the trail conditions in Moab are "Good to go." Well, at least for the trails outside of the La Sals.

On Sunday evening we were driving into Moab and it was snowing and there was about 2 inches of slush on the road. We decided to get a hotel instead of camp. Then we hit the trails the next day. Since it is Moab, despite the previous days weather Slickrock was ‘good to go.’

I don’t know how I managed to not ride this classic during my first visit to Moab.

Then, of course, we had to shuttle Porcupine Rim:

I wish I could get myself to stop to take more pictures on this ride, but if you’ve ever ridden Porc you know it’s hard to stop! 😉

Although there may be a chance of rain, you can usually bet on good riding weather during a trip to Moab.

The rest of the trip was spent in Grand Jct. and Fruita……..

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.