Minnesota: The country’s top bicycle tourism destination?

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Minnesota: The country’s top bicycle tourism destination?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Public and private partners aim to make Minnesota the country’s top bicycle tourism destination

Interesting stuff. I’m all for the growth of bicycling opportunities (especially mountain biking) all over the nation, but I grew up in Wisconsin and spent a not inconsiderable amount of time in Minnesota. While I can vouch for the beauty of their northern forests and some nice hills that they have, there are no mountains in Minnesota. In fact, the hilly/densely forested areas are more the exception to the rule than anything else: most of the state is flat and open… it’s basically the beginning of the great plains.

In short, I could see Minnesota trying to posture itself as the best bicycle tourism destination in the Midwest, but in the NATION? Let’s be realistic here…

What do you think? Does Minnesota have even a remote chance of becoming the top bicycle tourism destination in the United States?

I grew up in MN competing in XC running and skiing. There are lots of opportunities for great trails around the state, namely the mining country areas. Additions to the Superior hiking trail would be a good start.
      I don’t think there is enough potential for MN to compete with CO in terms of epic trails, but MN has other tourist attractions/destinations that would work well in tandem to MTB trails.
      I don’t know how much biker-friendly cities plays into tourism or the "Top Bicycle Tourism" rating scheme, but I don’t envision many folks traveling to bike the inner city.

Does MN have a remote chance of becoming the top destination: Nope.
      I was surprised it was in the top 5 rated destinations. Trails must only be a portion of the rating scheme.

Being a Minnesota bike rider for many years and having ridden elsewhere I can only say the riding here offers a multitude of options.
      City trails in Minneapolis allow a rider to circle the lakes and rivers separate from motor vehicles. Over 25 miles in the park system alone. The rails to trails conversion has hundreds of miles throughout the state that offer riders another vehicle free experience.
      The Minnesota Off Road Cyclists (MORC) has an active membership that has been building trails statewide for many years and has 18 trails in the Twin City metropolitan area and more outstate including Cuyuna, a new IMBA Epic ride designated trail. All forms of racing are done here including the high school mountain bike league that is in development.
      Winter does NOT mean people stop riding either. Off road trails are tamped down with snow shoes and kid sized snowmobiles. Then the puglsy riders form a sweet track that any fat tire rider can navigate.
      Whether or not Minnesota is a top bicycle tourism destination is a matter of opinion. As far as variety and accessability Minnesota offers many choices and has some of the best riding in the country. If you plan on visiting I recommend September for the most pleasant weather.
      Point your compass to the L’etoile du nord and bring your bikes 😛

To be the best, I think you have to have it all–or at least pretty darn close to it. The northern Minnesota woods are beautiful, but there is zero chance for big vertical, slickrock or great desert singletrack. The few places I would think of that meet all criteria would include:

Fruita. Plenty of killer high desert singletracdk right out the door, Moab just an over an hour to the west and the Uncompaghre Plateau, the Grand Mesa, and countless miles of alpine singletrack the same distance in the opposite direction. Alternative: Moab, with Fruita and the LaSalle Mtns nearby.

St George. Some of the worlds best singletrack AND slickrock right out the door and Cedar City nearby with the neighboring mountains harboring such essential epics as Thunder Mountain, Virgin River Rim and the 5k ft descent of Dark Hollow.

Sedona. Incomparable views laced with singletrack and slickrock. Just up the road from Phoenix during those stretches when there’s snow on the ground and just down the road from Flagstaff with tons of superior alpine singletrack.

Tahoe. Again, scenery to die for surrounded by some of the finest alpine singletrack in the world. Easy access to desert rides in the winter months. And just up the road from the epic riding that is Downieville.

Durango. The most absolutely top-notch alpine singletrack you could ever hope to sink your knobbies into. Plus easy access to lower elevation rides from ponderosa/spruce forests to pinion/juniper forests to all out desert singletrack.

Salida. This should be an up and comer. Right next to the Monarch Crest with a myriad of epic, above timberline routes, plus perpetually dry, ridable trail networks ont he leeward side of the mountains.

Although not new, Crested Butte shares much of Salida’s qualities. I would also throw in Taos/Santa Fe–lots of great stuff with near infinite variety there.

I havent’ ridden there, but it looks like Idaho may have some possibilities as well.

Lots of well-thought-out responses, thanks! Although I think I tend to lean towards what skibum is saying.

Yeah Skibum has listed all great destinations which are nice if you can get there. With unlimited resources and time i would love to hit every place on the list in 2012. Unless I become a single trustafarian (zero chance of that happening) I will be limited to maybe one of those destinations per year. I have the list though. So… the meantimewhere, are my snowshoes…. 😼

Minnesota may very well be able to become a regional destination, but so far, the folks in the Michigan Upper Peninsula have the jump on them. Of course, the UP may be even less accessible than the North Woods, eh?

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.