Mill Mountain Trails in Roanoke VA

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Looks like Roanoke city finally got around to putting a map out for the Mill Mountain Trails. These are really nice well built trails in the city, but have always been confusing to navigate if you are a non-local. Earlier maps would just get you lost more. Not that many miles here but routes combined with Mill Mountain Greenway and Roanoke River Greenway make these trails great for after work 1-3 hours. 800 foot vertical from the river will give your legs and lungs a workout too. These trails stay drier than most. Mill Mountain is accessible from milepost 120 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I ride there 2-4 times a week after work if anyone is passing through and wants a tour. Monument Trail is the best downhill and is my personal favorite. Ridgeline Trail from the Discovery Center by the Mill Mountain Zoo and Star accesses all the other trails.

http://www.roanokeva.gov/85256A8D0062AF … Public.pdf

View from the top
      Roanoke’s touristy metallic Star
      A nice loop is Ridgeline to Mounument Trail to the paved Mill Mountain Greenway. Climb to the next switchback on the Greenway and take Big Sunny to Riser and back to Ridgeline Trail.
      Ridgeline Trail gives access to the other trails. The end of the trail near the zoo is well built, but the other end needs work. Some pics from fall a couple of years ago.

Monument is a fun downhill. It’s not too bad as a climb.

Monument drops you out on Prospect Avenue which is the also known as the Mill Mountain Paved Greenway. Go up here

Big Sunny

Riser Trail

On the other end of Rigdeline from the zoo you can cross the Fishburne Parkway and get onto Wood Thrush Trail.

New Virginia Pine Trail, accessed from Wood Thrush

Overall, a nice urban trail system that should only get better. The park director is a mountain biker. It is also the test park for Roanoke’s new IMBA Mountain Bike Patrol unit.

Nice shots, I should stop sometime when I am driving through

"brianW" wrote

Nice shots, I should stop sometime when I am driving through

Definitely; and PM me if you want a riding partner. My post work stress relief rides usually start around 5:30 PM on weekdays.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.