Middle Mountain Ride

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

[i:zvadwd0a]X-Post with another forum, but pics have been changed up some
      [/i:zvadwd0a]
      Last Saturday’s ride. Parked near the dam at Douthat State Park.
      After being buzzed by a bald eagle in the parking lot, it was time to ride. We rode north through the park on the paved road.
      Hanging a left onto FS125, Wilson Creek Road
      Out to the Middle Mountain trailhead.
      Headed south and up
      A couple of the guys could ride this, I mostly pushed the first mile. After that it was still a climb for a few miles but ride-able
      Some Middle Mountain goodness

No trail sign and no markings, Middle Mountain South continues on down the ridge right about where Stony Run intersects with the ridgeline trail.

Image Image
      I really love this stretch of trail
      Lots of leaves, sometimes its hard to find the trail

At the bottom, hang a left to ride the scenic doubletrack out through McGraw Gap.

Some new stuff has been built around McGraw Gap, reason to come back for another ride.

Good stuff. At least for now, Middle Mountain is my favorite trail. 😀

Great pics. Some familiar sites there. I’ve never ridden Middle Mountain north to south from FR125. Those switchbacks were total sketch going down though. I’m sure I wouldn’t have much luck going up them either, so I’d be walking right along with you. 😃

I’ve got to try that route down from Middle Mtn to McGraw Gap. Did you tell me McGraw comes out on 629? If so, where abouts in relation to the Stony Run parking lot?

Sweet! I always enjoy your pics.

"fleetwood" wrote

Great pics. Some familiar sites there. I’ve never ridden Middle Mountain north to south from FR125. Those switchbacks were total sketch going down though. I’m sure I wouldn’t have much luck going up them either, so I’d be walking right along with you. 😃

I’ve got to try that route down from Middle Mtn to McGraw Gap. Did you tell me McGraw comes out on 629? If so, where abouts in relation to the Stony Run parking lot?

First time doing it all north to south for me. Aside from the mile H-A-B, it really wasn’t that bad.

The exit is actually called McGraw Hollow per the map below. The FS road comes in about 1/4 mile north of the new campground by the south entrance to Douthat.

This map shows a different ride but contains the Middle Mountain South portion. The map has some errors around the Clifton Forge Reservoir as I don’t think it was updated for a partial trail relocation a while back.

"fleetwood" wrote

I did not measure it, but I would guess it comes out on Rt 629 about 2 miles south of the Stoney Run parking lot. It’s just north of the new campground.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.