Middle chain ring only?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

I tend to ride using the middle chainring only, and giving my rear derailuer the work out. I was wondering if this was unique to my style of riding, or is that pretty much how everybody does it. I find riding the middle ring gives me enough power for everything I’ve encountered so far. If I was bombing down hills, I would most likley throw the chain up on the outer ring, but I’m riding singletrack trails for the most part. So what are the rest of you doing?

Funny you bring that up. I almost always use the middle ring for every ride. Last week however i was in a trail that that I had never ridden before and finally used the smallest ring. I found that it was very useful and was glad I never changed it. Of course like you said I move up to the largest ring when flying down long fast hills. I wouldnt change anything if I were you. Its only cost time and money and the result is a small weight change the probably wont effect your riding.

I tend to ride using the middle chainring only

Hey 83stumpjumper,I am steve,or 07stumpjumper,hahahaha.What you are doing in riding the middle ring only is called 1X9,and yes there alot of people riding 1X9 these days.I am a big clydesdale rider at 300plbs. so I really need the granny gear to get up climbs.

So,are you still riding an 83 stumpjumper like your user name leads me to beleive?

I tend to ride with just the middle ring for most of my rides. Will switch to the granny for step climbs and the big ring for forest service roads and other flat stretches, but seldom on singletrack.

I think it depends upon where you’re riding in the country, and what trails you’re on. If you don’t have to use the small ring to get up hills you are obviously not riding anything that’s very steep for very long, so just using the middle ring for you is good because it helps you to keep your speed up on the climbs. If you eventually start traveling to other parts of the nation with tougher trails to ride, I am confident that you’ll either A) use the little ring OR B) get off and walk.

There is no way we could use a 40t arouNd where I live…Too many rocks and roots that would smack that.. We tend to play around 34t- 36t.

Thanks for the responses everybody! Just got back from the Rosaryville state park trail here in Maryland, love that trail!!! As always, the middle ring was perfect for all the climbs and decents. The rear gears were kept busy though. I’m sure there are trails out there where that granny gear comes in handy, I just haven’t found any yet. I prefer to grab my bar ends, and stand on the pedals to get up the bigger hills. It’s better to have that tiny chain ring and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Glad to hear I’m not the only one who spends all their time riding that middle ring.
      For what it’s worth, I ride a 1997 Stumpjumper Comp HT. On my third set of tires and second fork, but everything else is factory original and in great condition. That bike has never failed me on a ride. I am 100% loyal to the big red S!

"83stumpjumper" wrote

Thanks for the responses everybody! Just got back from the Rosaryville state park trail here in Maryland, love that trail!!! As always, the middle ring was perfect for all the climbs and decents. The rear gears were kept busy though. I’m sure there are trails out there where that granny gear comes in handy, I just haven’t found any yet. I prefer to grab my bar ends, and stand on the pedals to get up the bigger hills. It’s better to have that tiny chain ring and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Glad to hear I’m not the only one who spends all their time riding that middle ring.
      For what it’s worth, I ride a 1997 Stumpjumper Comp HT. On my third set of tires and second fork, but everything else is factory original and in great condition. That bike has never failed me on a ride. I am 100% loyal to the big red S!

I just hit up Rosaryville the other day. I also use the middle ring for Rosaryville, and for most of the trails in MD. If you ever want to go riding, just hit me up.

Jkeneivel,
      I sent you a message. Yes, lets make a plan to ride Rosaryville! I’m fairly new to trails in MD, and I could use the company on the trails. Feel free to use what ever chain ring you want, I won’t judge you!

My problem is that I’ve bent my middle chain ring twice and had to beat the crap out of it with a rubber mallet. The pisser is the bike is 2 months old. I’d like to just replace that chain ring because it’s just going to keep happening. The more I beat the crap out of it the weaker it will become.

New chain rings are relatively inexpensive (unless you’re buying an uber nice one)

A big ring works just as well as a bashguard as far as protecting the middle ring is concerned…it doesn’t offer as much ground clearance though.

How are you bending the middle ring?

Riding with the chainring bolts loose will do it…I’ve bent a steel single speed ring that way. 😼

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="cynergy68":3pd8scvs]My problem is that I’ve bent my middle chain ring twice and had to beat the crap out of it with a rubber mallet. The pisser is the bike is 2 months old. I’d like to just replace that chain ring because it’s just going to keep happening. The more I beat the crap out of it the weaker it will become.

Just remove the third chainwheel and install a bash guard to protect the middle chainwheel. If you have three chainwheels, do you really need the third chainwheel. If so, just step up the middle chainwheel to a higher tooth chainwheel and install a bashguard. If you have bent your chainwheel that many times in such a short time, then either step up your riding skill (no offense) or install a bashguard. All is good then and no more worries of bent chainwheels from that point. Good luck and the best of any bent free chainwheel riding… 😆[/quote:3pd8scvs]

That’s the funny thing. It’s never been bent from hitting it on something. It’s bent by trying to change chain rings while on climbs. I get this loud popping sound and then the rear starts ghost shifting due to the bent chain ring once I get back on flat ground. I also use the third chainwheel when I ride the road so putting the bash guard on wouldn’t really benefit me. Maybe I just got a defective middle ring. What would be a good replacement for a middle ring?

"dgaddis" wrote

A big ring works just as well as a bashguard as far as protecting the middle ring is concerned…it doesn’t offer as much ground clearance though.

Riding with the chainring bolts loose will do it…I’ve bent a steel single speed ring that way. 😼

I’ve never checked the bolts. That’s something I’ll look at. Thanks.
      Funny story. I was riding a trail couple weeks ago and my rear wheel fell off. It became loose and popped off. I could just laugh. Once I finished the trail the front wheel felt loose too. When I checked that it also worked itself loose. This also recenctly happened to the angle of my seat. I have learned that it might be a good idea to periodically check these things. Evidently when the bike is assembled the tech only finger tightens parts.

"dgaddis" wrote

A big chain ring works a little differently than a bash guard though. When going over a large log, you have to consciously keep pedaling when your chain ring hits in order to wiggle over, but with a bash guard you can slide over.

Also, in areas where large boulders are a bigger concern just bashing your big ring doesn’t work very well. A good bash guard, on the other hand, will allow you to just slide your way over those big honking rocks.

I dunno about that….The main reason for a bash guard firstly is for protection and secondly for clearance. Bash rings should be sized accordingly to the middle chainring. More so if you look at a bash ring it is wider to help the bike when it strikes an object to lift it over that object a chainring will tend to dig in. Possibly causing the rider to stop all of a sudden (specially if its a soggy log for example).

Good bash rings are MRP, Gamut, Raceface, e*thirteen. Either in aluminum about 6mm thick or 10+mm thick impact absorbing plastics.

I finally got a e thirteen bash gaurd after letting my big ring take all the bashing till it was missing teeth and getting bent.Not that I could’nt keep using the big ring but it just does’nt hold up without having to be replaced or fixed all the time,I never use the big ring anyway.

I use the middle ring most. My bailout in middle rind is 32-32 so I can get up most hills with it. On super steep and technical spots will I drop to the inner ring. The only time I use the big ring is short road sections between trails. Once you drop to the inner ring the Polish assistant Mo Mentem has left the building and you have to try and trials your way out. 😄 Later,

The shimano saint M-8## bashguard is a great option for those who aren’t doing serious downhill/freeride and instead just want to hope the occasional log or rock. Cost of the ring and adapter bolts is usually less than $20, and it holds up well. I’m not sure why any serious rider would want to keep three chainrings. You never use the largest, and it just gets in the way. You can make up any need for gearing by adding or subtracting teeth from a two-ring setup.

As for the person who is bending their middle ring, its definitely something loose or incorrect shifting/pedalling technique

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Just remove the third chainwheel and install a bash guard to protect the middle chainwheel.

Or you can save the time and money and just be comfortable with the fact that the big ring IS the bash guard. That’s what I do.

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="ChiliPepper":dzq7jn9x]Just remove the third chainwheel and install a bash guard to protect the middle chainwheel.

Or you can save the time and money and just be comfortable with the fact that the big ring IS the bash guard. That’s what I do.[/quote:dzq7jn9x]
      Except that the teeth dig in to logs and scrape annoyingly on rocks. An actual bashguard slides over obstacles much more smoothly.

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.