Mid November Vacation

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Going to hit FATS and then head up to the middle of West Virginia. Any suggestions on where to go? Also looking at taking the coast back down to mid-Florida.

Also where is the best place to stay at and what order should I hit the trails to get the best flow?

FATS you can ride each loop in either direction. I find Deep Step the only trail that flows best in one direction ccw. You can choose which loops to ride or ride all 6 loops. My favorite is Great Wall. I tend to point riders to camp at Petersburg Campground which is about 10 minutes away and offers the riding option on Bartram Trail. As far as other places near FATS to stay, there are numerous hotels in the Augusta area.

Have no suggestions for W. Virginia but near Roanoke, VA there is Carvin’s Cove that looks like a very great place to ride. http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … ystem.html never rode there.

Do you know which route you will be driving back for riding options? You would have more options imo if yu don’t go towards the coast but head through the southern Appalachians.

Speaking of Roanoke, there are tons of trails in that area. I’ll be up there riding in Mid-November.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Speaking of Roanoke, there are tons of trails in that area. I’ll be up there riding in Mid-November.

Mid November is also mid-rifle season. I usually do national forest rides on Sunday. Carvins Cove, Douthat and Mill Mountain are hunt-free zones although Douthat does have a limited hunt season.

PM me if you have time to hook up for a lesser known back country ride, I’m sure we can come up with something.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":fbp4qoim]Speaking of Roanoke, there are tons of trails in that area. I’ll be up there riding in Mid-November.

Mid November is also mid-rifle season. I usually do national forest rides on Sunday. Carvins Cove, Douthat and Mill Mountain are hunt-free zones although Douthat does have a limited hunt season.

PM me if you have time to hook up for a lesser known back country ride, I’m sure we can come up with something.[/quote:fbp4qoim]

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll bring my blaze orange! Rifle season just started down here. I’ll let you know if I have time for a ride! Well, I’ll be riding for about 3-4 days with a friend, so I’m sure we can make something happen!!

"RazorRay" wrote

Going to hit FATS and then head up to the middle of West Virginia. Any suggestions on where to go? Also looking at taking the coast back down to mid-Florida.

As mentioned in one of the other posts, Carvin’s Cove is a quite popular riding area for the western Virginia region. Trails are well marked and maps available on line. You can easily ride there 2 days without hitting the same stuff twice. Easier trails are by the lake, harder trails are on Brushy Mountain. Silent Dell, Songbird, Schoolhouse, 4 Gorges and 4 Gorges extension are all in the category of flow trails. The Trough has some free-ride stuff. Comet, Gauntlet, Hemlock Tunnel, Hi-Dee-Hoe, and Buck are old school skinny, rooty, rocky white knuckle rides.

Usually when people talk about the middle of West Virginia the trails at Slatyfork come to mind. These are likely some of the most difficult trails on the East Coast. Rocky, swampy, mossy, steep and no flow. Just make sure thats what you want if you pick that area. Hunting season might be an issue there too in Mid November.

Wherever you choose – have fun. If flow is your thing, you may want to check the trails out in the Wilksboro NC area. 😃

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="RazorRay":sg9f58fu]Going to hit FATS and then head up to the middle of West Virginia. Any suggestions on where to go? Also looking at taking the coast back down to mid-Florida.

As mentioned in one of the other posts, Carvin’s Cove is a quite popular riding area for the western Virginia region. Trails are well marked and maps available on line. You can easily ride there 2 days without hitting the same stuff twice. Easier trails are by the lake, harder trails are on Brushy Mountain. Silent Dell, Songbird, Schoolhouse, 4 Gorges and 4 Gorges extension are all in the category of flow trails. The Trough has some free-ride stuff. Comet, Gauntlet, Hemlock Tunnel, Hi-Dee-Hoe, and Buck are old school skinny, rooty, rocky white knuckle rides.

Usually when people talk about the middle of West Virginia the trails at Slatyfork come to mind. These are likely some of the most difficult trails on the East Coast. Rocky, swampy, mossy, steep and no flow. Just make sure thats what you want if you pick that area. Hunting season might be an issue there too in Mid November.

Wherever you choose – have fun. If flow is your thing, you may want to check the trails out in the Wilksboro NC area. 😃[/quote:sg9f58fu]

I’ve ridden in the Davis area twice and at the trails near Kerr Scott Reservoir in Wilkesboro once and can confirm CCR’s comments on both locations.

Go here to see my write up of our latest trip to Davis. Below are some links for the Wilkesboro area.

http://www.bmcc.us/kerr_scott.htm
      http://rockyknob.wordpress.com/

Kerr Scott is miles and miles of fast, flowy, bermy trail with a little more technical trails found at Dark Mountain north of the lake. Definitely visit Rocky Knob while you are there, and then head into Boone for burriotos at Black Cat and pay Magic Cycles a visit.

Oh, and Carvins Cove is a hoot!

Arrowhead trails in West Virginia is a fairly new system that is great fun and has plenty of flow. About 15 miles in all I believe. Longer if you mix and match. Its a stacked loop system. Great camping close by at Adventures on the Gorge. Plenty of other activities as well at the Gorge. New River Bikes will be able to help you with whatever you need. Great Pizza at pies and pints!

Thanks for all the help! looked up each trail and may hit a few. Have not set a time line up or where we are going to stay yet. Looks like it is going to be pretty cold for this Florida boy. Any suggestions on cold weather riding?

"RazorRay" wrote

Any suggestions on cold weather riding?

If you mean what to wear, I ride pretty much all year in VA and it can get pretty cold, but not as cold as other areas.

My biggest problem is keeping my feet warm. Last year I got a pair of wool sock liners from REI that add a great thin layer of insulation under another pair of wool riding socks. That helps a lot. I have a pair of shoe covers that I have only used a couple of times. I have even tried the ol’ sandwich bag trick.

Additionally, I have a thin beanie that is designed to be worn under the helmet, some cold weather riding gloves, and some thermal tights for when the mercury really drops.

Other than that, I wear multiple layers that I can take off during the ride if I warm up. Make sure you have a place to stash the layers though.

Whatever you do at FATS, dont forget to hit the northern loops…they are often overlooked and the climbs are not as treacherous as some describe. "Do Tower clockwise and Big Rock counter clockwise followed by going down fs road 661 you have one of the longer decents in the CSRA" After you get to the fire tower on tower loop, its balls to the wall pretty much the rest of the way out..the descent back to the parking lot is awesome, and by far the best out there…also check out the US national white water centers bike trails in Charlotte on your way down/up.

http://usnwc.org/activities/mountain-biking/

"RazorRay" wrote

Any suggestions on cold weather riding?

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … er-mtbing/

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.