Mentality of a Mountain Biker

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I have a question of how you the Mountain Biker thinks. This was brought to my attention when I rode Noble Canyon this past week with my riding buddie from the UK.

Situation- Noble Canyon is an “Advanced / Black Diamond” DH track in San Diego’s East County. My riding buddie is an experienced rider from the UK. He has a decked out FS bike with a full face helmet, body armor and all the pads. I ride a HT 2009 Trek 69er SS I have a Giro Flak helmet and gloves.

Mission- Ride Noble Canyon with speed and intensity. And have a Blast!
      Conclusion- Crazy insaine DH ride, I had two broken pedals and bloody legs. Riding buddie had bloody leg from a rock that jumped up and bit him.

At the end of the ride he said that I ride my bike really hard, and I do I guess. Im not that experienced I probably shouldn’t have rode that trail, but im just out to have fun and enjoy life.

So my question is: Do you think that if you know the “dangers” of riding it would hold you back (to a point)? Or because you may not know the “dangers” your going to do it cuz its fun. Kinda like “yeah I could fall and break something, or fall down the side of the hill so I wont do it.” I know that this wont really apply to pros but to the average rider.

Bottom line, I rode a trail that I probably shouldn’t have cuz it looked fun and I didn’t really care what would happen, I was just out to have fun and didn’t account for the dangers.

I don’t know if I put the question in a readable format, it kinda seems confusing. But I hope you will be able to understand, if not let me know and ill try to re format it.

There are two questions at stake here. First and foremost, do you know your limits. If you know your ability level, and the level of the ride you are about to do, you should be able to make the right decision. Knowing your limitations also means knowing the limitations of your bike – two broken pedals shouldn’t be happening. That said, pushing what you can do a bit isn’t a bad thing, taking that challenge and bumping your skills up a notch is fine.

Now, as far as the mentality goes, assuming that you have enough experience to comply by the above, will you go after something that is potentially dangerous? Hell yea, that’s a part of the fun. Looking danger in the face and walking (or riding) through it is one thing, making a stupid descent on a difficult trail that is above my ability level on a rig that can’t take it is another.

I ride my bike pretty hard. It’s pretty rare that I don’t come back with a few scratches/bleeders and a bunch of components that need to be tightened. Having a lot of fun is always great, and luck has been on my side (as it seems to have been on yours), but just remember – luck can always run out.

Come on…we all know the dangers of riding. That’s why we wear helmets, pads, glasses, etc. If you don’t know that there is a possibility of you getting hurt out there, or even dying, that’s plain ignorance. Let’s face it, this is a dangerous sport. With that said, we all also know that we could dye on the way to work in the morning. Hold us back though, no way! Some of the thrill of riding comes from the danger, pushing your limits, cheating death, etc.

My question to you is, Why should you not have rode that trail? You obviously tore that s@%t up. Sounds like you’re ready to me.

"joetutt" wrote

My question to you is, Why should you not have rode that trail? You obviously tore that s@%t up. Sounds like you’re ready to me.

….and survived relatively in tact.

Unless you’re a "bike path junkie" that graduates to real mountain biking and you don’t know what you’re getting into, why not ride to your limits and beyond. Just don’t stray too far from those limits!

You know what Mom always said; It’s all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. I completely understand the rush from cheating death and have had many occasions where I barely escaped serious injury myself. It is so fun to tighten the sphincter and go for it! But, you know, I’ve talked to a few people over the years who are essentially cripples because they thought they could amp things up to the next level and it didn’t work out. They have this far-away look in their eyes as they describe the amazing feats they have accomplished, and then it fades away as they tell me how they can’t do it anymore because they would risk completely debilitating injury if they crashed again.

As any gambler knows, you need to understand the odds and walk away when the odds are not in your favor. By all means, have fun and push the limits, but know your limits. Push it too far and you may end up living in pain for the next half century. The whole "x-treme sports" attitude can be hazardous to your health if you aren’t realistic about your abilities and the risks of the challenge that is tempting you.

OK, that’s the end of my Dad spiel…

Ok, well ill start with the two broken pedals, easy enough- the stinkin rocks got in the way you know, the huge ones that dont move. 😀 Oh, and also found out that a "stretch resistant" chain stretches. Awesome.

As for as why should I not have rode that trail? Other than the fact that I havnt ever done a DH ride before this one, all i had was a helmet and gloves… No reason. thats why I did it, and LOVED IT!

My skill, ability and my bikes discipline … Well, I cant say that I really know any of it. I havnt been pushed hard enough, so I guess thats another reason whey I threw down on this trail. Im sure if I get another chance Id ride it again. My bike, dunno, its a race bike thats all I know really. Iv looked and looked and all I can find is its a "race bike" nothing says what type of racing so… I just ride and try and ride hard.

So, what Im learning from yous is, ride ride ride push push push. Until I "find" my limits. Thats awesome, Ill try and not stray to far from path tho. Its all noted. Thanks for the words of encuragement.

Should have you road the trail ?

Let’s see…
      You have a solid bike
      You have a helmet
      You’re riding with a friend

Sounds like the ideal time to try a new trail. Go find more

"kingerik" wrote

First and foremost, do you know your limits.

Very important, I always tell myself, if you’re not comfortable doing it, don’t do it.
      If you can be aware of and accept the dangers as well as know your limits and stick within those limits, you’ll do fine and you’ll get better with time.
      But if you are aware of the dangers and they make you nervous, and you continue anyway, that’s when you’re more likely to crash I think because your more worried about falling when you should be focusing on the trail itself, so if you’re nervous or worried, walk the bike, or slow down enough that a fall won’t be to bad.
      I have seen someone fall because they where more concerned with the small drop on the side of the trail, you’re body tends to go in the direction you’re head is facing, so keep your heard straight:)

I do have fear of the dangers, but at the same time I have confidence in and know my abilities, so I don’t let the dangers bother me, rather I put all my energy into navigating the trail to avoid mistakes, or if it’s beyond my limits, I walk it. Yes there are people who just do it for fun, they just go down the trail blindly basically, they may do fine, or they may make a small but costly mistake, I know someone like this and he’s fallen MANY times and broken many components, it goes a long long way to take care when riding and choosing your lines if you don’t want to break anything:)

Confidence will come with experience and practice. Over time you’ll figure out what you can and can’t do, just take your time and you’ll get better at your own pace.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.