McGyver type trail repair.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

During a recent ride one of our group broke a crankarm bolt. After searching all our packs someone had a spare skewer. Well, a little bit of effort and we got it to hold, for a 1/4 mile anyway.

After the skewer lever came loose we dug out the wire ties and duct tape and made sure it didn’t come loose again. Worked great for the rest of our 20 mile ride.

ODN

FTW!!! Now that is awesome!

dude that’s awesome! i like it.

I like it!

20 miles???!!! That is outstanding!!

Whoa, McGyverish indeed. He would be proud to see such a quick thinking solution. Great innovation

Thanks, though I cannot take all the credit. It was a team effort between my friend Chris and I that got our friend back on the trail. She was smiles close to the end of the ride when she was certain she could complete the ride. Here she leads the group about 2 miles from the end of our ride.

ODN

I read a book with all types of on the trail fixes in a pinch. I’ll have to go to the libary (yes I know mt bikers are supposed to be un-educated) to get the title and pass it on.

thats awsome

Hey ODN. Curious if you know what caused that bolt to fracture. Bad part, impact, or had something worked its way loose and got stripped? Thats pretty much a show stopper. Unigeezer rides good on 1 wheel, but I don’t think even he could ride on 1 pedal. 😆

Awesome improv!

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

Hey ODN. Curious if you know what caused that bolt to fracture. Bad part, impact, or had something worked its way loose and got stripped?

Hey CCR, sorry I missed your reply… We’re not sure why it broke, it was a long downhill just before, however we just told her she was too hard on the bike 😃 When actually it was one of those lightweight hollow alloy bolts and she had just had some work done on the bottom bracket. Likely just over tightened or was getting old. Good ole’ steel is hard to beat and not that much heavier. 😏

ODN

"If she doesn’t find you handsome, she should find you handy". Red Green

Hahaha awesome McGyver-ing.

"Bob_the_Builder" wrote

"If she doesn’t find you handsome, she should find you handy". Red Green

You realized Duct tape is like "THE FORCE". It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together.

Another quote from Red…. 😃

ODN

"Outdoornut" wrote

[quote="Bob_the_Builder":8zd31pkz]"If she doesn’t find you handsome, she should find you handy". Red Green

You realized Duct tape is like "THE FORCE". It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together.

Another quote from Red…. 😃

ODN[/quote:8zd31pkz]
      😆 😆 😆 ODN, wasn’t that your signature on MTBR for a while? Who is this Red Green with such words of wisdom? 😆 😆 😆

Just another awesome Canadian! [url:3k8lxxet]http://www.redgreen.com/[/url:3k8lxxet]

[quote="CraigCreekRider] ODN, wasn’t that your signature on MTBR for a while? Who is this Red Green with such words of wisdom? 😆 😆 😆[/quote]

Yes it was CCR. And I believe Bob-t-b answered the Red Green thing. I still get to watch the Red Green show reruns all the time on TV. I enjoy the laughs. You’ll have to check out an episode or two somehow. Duct tape is his tool of choice…. Pretty much his only tool…. 😆

ODN

I miss the Red Green Show, but I catch reruns when I can.

truely awesome… Im putting that one in the back of my mind for future use… Ill have to sight credit when I use this one ;)

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.