Maxxis Ardent bead type

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hey

I just got done reading the review for the Maxxis Ardents on this site, but wanted to know what type of bead was used in the review. It looked like a wire bead but I could be wrong. Also, if anyone could give the pros and cons of both folding and wire beads that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am currently in the market for some new tires that are for aggressive use. 😀

folding is a lighter kevlar/aramid bead that won’t take the same beating the wire bead will, but it will sure shed weight.

Actually, the Ardent has a single-ply foldable bead option (and a 2-ply wire bead option). I picked up a set of the single-ply Ardents last week and the weights were pretty spot on too (26×2.4)

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Ardent.aspx

"8valvegrowl" wrote

Actually, the Ardent has a single-ply foldable bead option (and a 2-ply wire bead option).

Thanks for the info! 😃 I was looking at the wire bead version only because I can get a good price on a set of them from Blue Sky Cycling, $25 per tire. The only thing I am a little worried about is the weight of the wire bead version which is about 1100 grams as opposed to the foldable which is about 800 grams. Although, I guess that’s not that much considering that my bike is pretty heavy for an all mountain bike, about 33lbs and adding another 1100 grams on both the front and rear probably won’t make a huge difference.

Just FYI, 1100 grams is 2.4 pounds (800 grams is 1.7 lbs) so going for the wire bead means 1.4 more pounds overall on your bike, plus it’s rotating mass, so it slows acceleration, etc.

Just food for thought. Lighter isn’t always better (could mean a weaker sidewall, etc). But for most trail riding, I prefer single-ply tires. DH and heavy FR, dual-ply is the way to go, no doubt.

^No worries!

I think Maxxis just came out with the folding version for 2010. I was confused about it too until my brother hooked me up through QBP and said they had single-ply/folding bead in stock. Up to that point I thought it was vaporware.

And I agree…I’ve had good luck with single-ply Maxxis tires on all but the most punishing stuff.

"8valvegrowl" wrote

Just FYI, 1100 grams is 2.4 pounds (800 grams is 1.7 lbs) so going for the wire bead means 1.4 more pounds overall on your bike, plus it’s rotating mass, so it slows acceleration, etc.

2.4 pounds is quite bit of weight to add. The riding I do is mostly aggressive trail riding but I also am starting to get into light freeride and downhill so I need something which can handle a little bit of everything. My brother has a 2.35 Maxxis High Roller that he runs on the front which he likes a lot, but from what I can see the High Rollers run a bit on the small side. I would like to keep the weight down if I can, but one of the main areas which I look at is the price since I still would like to buy a new set of wheels (azonic outlaw). If anyone has some other suggestions on a foldable set of tires that are relatively low price that would be great.

Kenda Nevegal 2.35 run pretty true to size. A lot of tire width has to do with rim width. So far my Ardent 2.4’s are a true 2.4 on my Supra DH rims (same basic rim as the Azonic Outlaw, IIRC). Maxxis Ignitors aren’t bad. I know a lot of guys run the WTB MutanoRaptors here in VT (despite the fact that WTB claims its a dry condition tire and VT is anything but a dry condition geography.)

A bargain, strong wheelset is the Forte Loco wheelset. Basically the same rim (Alex Supra series) as the Outlaw or Transition Revolution, but somewhat cheaper (no name hubs, but they are quiet and smooth).

I bought a front Loco last year, and a rear Loco this year. I’d like to move to something lighter (Easton Havocsm for instance) and put these Loco’s on my 6.5" Voodoo frame (somewhat more FR oriented than my Dawg). Maybe next season. Or if I strike it rich.

Well seeing that I wrote the article I would have to say that the Ardent mountains that I wrote about were all folding bead single ply. The DH Ardents have all wire beads with 2 plys.

The Ardents are still on my short list of favorite tires. Full volume with tonnes of traction in alot of varing terrain.

"element22" wrote

Well seeing that I wrote the article I would have to say that the Ardent mountains that I wrote about were all folding bead single ply. The DH Ardents have all wire beads with 2 plys.

Thanks element for the info on the bead type that was used in the review. 😃 I think that I will give the single ply ardents a try if I can find them for $40 or below. Thanks again to everyone who posted. 😃

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.