Max Heart Rate

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

MTI

Santa brought me a HRM for Christmas because I have been a dedicated rider this year. I am trying to figure out my Max Heart Rate. I hit the trainer and got it up to 165 doing a recommended 20 min all out, rest 5 minutes, 20 min all out, which should have been close to my max heart rate. I thought 165 was low. I took a familiar 11 mile ride on my MTB on pavement with low air pressure (on purpose to make it harder) and went all out and hit 167 max. I mean I really, really, really tried to go higher but that was it. That was the other recommended max heart rate test…go full hard for one hour. Here is my ride.

http://www.strava.com/activities/101867673

Does 167 sound right? The default for Strava because of my age shows it should be 178 but I suppose that is just a generalization. I guess the results are similar for both tests so 167 seems it should be right. I am probably in the best cardio shape of my life as I have been doing a modified training program for ultra endurance for the past two months and I and am about to go full throttle in the beginning of January. Just wanting to know if any of you Exercise and Sports Science people could help me out. Oh yea and if it matters my resting heart rate is 55 bpm. Thanks.

Max HRs are a very individual thing. Sounds like did some pretty strenuous tests and if you did more than one and are getting similar results, it’s probably correct.

I do know that your max HR will decrease as you get older.

I can find my max HR easier when I run. I don’t seem to get my HR up as high when cycling. When I run, I can get my HR up for a more extended period of time (easily into the 170s).

That standard 226-age formula for women doesn’t apply to me. I know my HR is higher than that simple formula suggests.

MTI

Hey thanks Lucinda I appreciate the info. I did not know max HR decreased with age. I knew 10 years ago it was 174 and at the old age of 42 (ARRGGHHH) it makes sense that it is about 167. I will also just try to do a run and see if that can increase it but I don’t think it will I really went all out on some parts of that ride. Thanks again. By the way that is a nice bike you posted the other day!

"MTI" wrote

Hey thanks Lucinda I appreciate the info. I did not know max HR decreased with age. I knew 10 years ago it was 174 and at the old age of 42 (ARRGGHHH) it makes sense that it is about 167. I will also just try to do a run and see if that can increase it but I don’t think it will I really went all out on some parts of that ride. Thanks again. By the way that is a nice bike you posted the other day!

A few years ago, when I was running, riding and in much better cardio shape, my heart rate was in the low 190s. That was verified by a track coach and my own observations. I think now it’s probably in the 180s, but I haven’t tested it recently. I do know that I can get into the 170s when I really push, so I’m sure it’s in the 180s as a max. My RHR is low 60s.

I’m now trying to get back into the shape I was in a few years ago. Cardio fitness is my biggest challenge right now for MTB.

Thanks for your comments on my new bike! I’ve been trying to get on it as much as I can (when it’s not raining). It’s my first nice bike; I’m still getting used to it.

Maximum heart rate will depend on a number of things, as people have mentioned. The best way to test and find yours is to find a nice gentle hill somewhere that is .5 miles long. Start at the bottom and sprint up the hill until you feel like your heart is going to explode. Then go a bit further.

Stop, slump to the ground, pant, moan, whine, walk down the hill, and do it again. Repeat it maybe 5 times or until you feel that you’ve definitely hit your peak. Doing this method yielded my maximum of 198BPM, which isn’t too bad for a 33 year old in okay shape. I think. I really don’t have much to compare it to.

You won’t find out your maximum heart rate doing a 20 minute endurance session. You need to be in anaerobic work, where your entire body is working towards propelling you forward at the FASTEST rate possible. And once you’ve figured out your workout zones by having a proper maximum heart rate, you’ll realize that 165BPM is more along the endurance zone, where you should be able to sustain that pace for extended periods of time.

The "equations" are not precise. Best thing to do is just go push things to the limit and see what your body tells you.

MTI

AJ711,
      Thanks for the info I will try it tomorrow when I get back on my bike after 9 days vacation! I went back and looked at my fitness book the two 20 minute runs and one hour test were for threshold heart rate. In those rides I really did some insane sprints till I felt like my heart was going to pop out but I will try the equation you suggested.

MTI

AJ711 and Lucinda,

Thanks for the advice. AJ711 (I feel like we are talking in code) I happen to live at the top of a gravel drive that is .6 miles uphill so i did what you suggested. MAX was 176 top no way it was going higher. Absolutely no way. All out out sprint five times as you suggested. I took a ride after that and only got it to 174 on an all out effort up a one mile hill that was not so gentle. I think on the next nice day I will try it again just to double check. Thanks for the advice.

Running does it for me. I can pass 180. On some climbs riding, I will occassionally get to the upper 170s but usually thats it. Usually my legs give out before my heart has to work that hard.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.