Man dies on the North Shore in a freak accident

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Pilley, by all accounts, was a very experienced mountain biker and familiar with the Cypress Mountain trails.

At the time of the accident he was wearing a full-faced helmet, goggles, body armour, and gloves.

The bike had front and rear suspension and there appears to have been no mechanical problems.

Pilley was attempting a jump, in steep terrain when the accident happened.

The jump is a wooden ladder bridge that sends the rider over a log with the landing approximately 1.8 metres down and 3 metres away from the takeoff point.

Upon landing, Pilley was thrown over the handle bars of the bike and then collided with a tree, resulting in blunt-force trauma.

North Shore Mountain Bike Association (NSMBA) program director Mark Wood said they believe this is the first death ever from a mountain bike injury on the North Shore. “Everybody is looking at this as a real freak incident,” he said.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Mountai … z1uwLjRwUD

This story has been blowing up the news feeds over the past week, so I thought I’d share a link with some real information. Just remember guys–stay safe out there.

We all take some risk. It’s part of the appeal. Most rides I see things that could kill me or someone. So please do be careful and watch out for others too. Could happen to anyone. 😢 Energy, more specifically high time-rate of energy has to be respected, geek speak for "It’s the sudden stop" 😢

R.I.P. fellow mountainbiker

RIP no doubt !!!! and like was said above- please be careful out there guys

That sucks, I bet there are new safety developments due to this. RIP buddy.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.