Making the move from Trials to Trails.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there,

My name is Josh and I come from southern England.

I’ve decided to make the move from Trials bike to Mountain bikes after 6 years of riding.

I’ve already settled on the Genesis Core 26.2, which will be arriving late march.

I’ve always ridden stock (26") trials bikes so I’m used to man sized wheels but my main question is this,

Is the switch to clipless (SPD) pedals really worth it? I can see the attraction of being bolted to your bike so you have a stiffer feel and thus, more control. I’m just curious as to whether it’s really that noticeable and how long it takes to get used to unclipping your shoes quickly.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give.

"Wildcat175" wrote

Is the switch to clipless (SPD) pedals really worth it?

yes

I’m just curious as to whether it’s really that noticeable

It’s a night and day difference

and how long it takes to get used to unclipping your shoes quickly.

After the first time you fall over still clipped in, you will then be used to unclipping in a hurry. 😆

"Wildcat175" wrote

Hi there,

I’ve decided to make the move from Trials bike to Mountain bikes after 6 years of riding.

I’ve already settled on the Genesis Core 26.2, which will be arriving late march.

I’ve always ridden stock (26") trials bikes so I’m used to man sized wheels but my main question is this,

Is the switch to clipless (SPD) pedals really worth it? I can see the attraction of being bolted to your bike so you have a stiffer feel and thus, more control. I’m just curious as to whether it’s really that noticeable and how long it takes to get used to unclipping your shoes quickly.

I’d say give it a try, you can always switch back (minus the investment in shoes and pedals). There is a noticeable improvement in climbing as you are getting power on the upstroke. It took me a while to get used to them and I still clip out and ride on top the pedals when things get a little hairy. Still, I couldn’t go back to flats.

"Wildcat175" wrote

Hi there,

My recommendation is forgo the clipless pedals for now. You already know how to keep your feet planted and you probably already have decent shoes for riding from your trials days.

Ride for a few months with flats, then if you want to make the switch, give the clipless a try.

I soul do the complete opposite of what Jared is saying. I would get them as soon as you can. The main attraction to clipless is the ability to put power to the pedals throughout the entire pedal stroke. The sooner you get them, the quicker you’ll learn, and the more efficient you will ride.

"dozzerboy" wrote

I soul do the complete opposite of what Jared is saying. I would get them as soon as you can. The main attraction to clipless is the ability to put power to the pedals throughout the entire pedal stroke. The sooner you get them, the quicker you’ll learn, and the more efficient you will ride.

Or he’ll hate them because he’s too concerned about not being able to unclip and in turn not enjoy himself.

He’s already skilled in the technical aspects due to his trials experience and he’s very used to the idea of being able take his feet off for balance.

Introduce him to mountain biking, get him hooked, then let him get clipless. ;)

This is mounting biking we are talking about here. Not inching your way across obstacles…
      Jared, you and I could go back and forth for days about this. Let’s agree to disagree. 😉

Personally, I would go ahead and buy them. But it is your decision.

"dozzerboy" wrote

This is mounting biking we are talking about here. Not inching your way across obstacles…
      Jared, you and I could go back and forth for days about this. Let’s agree to disagree. 😉

Personally, I would go ahead and buy them. But it is your decision.

He might be inching his way across obstacles, I don’t know what kind of trails they have in southern England. I bet he could blow people away with his skinny-riding skills 😃

He has four people saying to try them (and will probably hear it in every single bike shop he walks into.) I’m giving him a different opinion. ;)

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.