Making a cannondale F7 more AM/FR friendly

Mountain bike trails & Mountain bike reviews Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Making a cannondale F7 more AM/FR friendly

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

After reading **Technique/Tips/Skills for Aspiring Freeriders** I would like to make my F7 a little more FR friendly

Handlebar, stem, crankset, chainring/bash guard/tensioner

Also was thinking about going with Maxxis Minion DH 2.7in Tires with WTB Laserdisc DH Rims
      as well as a Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc Brakes Oe for the front.

So I am wondering, what parts fit my 09 F7?
      Frame CO2 Alloy 1 1/8"
      Fork– RST Gila Pro, 100 mm w/Lock out
      Rims– Jalco Disc X320, 32 hole (replaced the rear with a MACH1 MX)
      Hubs– Formula DC20/22
      Spokes– Stainless Steel
      Tires– Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1"
      Pedals– Wellgo alloy platform
      Crank– FSA CK-306TTT, 22/32/44
      Chain– KMC 8-speed
      Rear– Cogs Sunrace M66, 12-32
      Bottom Bracket– FSA TH-7420ST
      Front Derailleur– SRAM 3.0
      Rear Derailleur– SRAM X-4
      Shifters– SRAM X-4 Trigger
      Handlebars– HL,650 mm, 25 mm rise
      Stem– Cannondale XC3 1 1/8", 31.8 mm
      Headset– Slim Stack A-Head
      Brakeset– Avid BB-5 Mechanical Disc
      Brakelevers– Cannondale XC
      Saddle– Cannondale CO2
      Seat Post– Kalloy SP-359
      Sizes L
      Extras– Cannondale Morse Grip

yes ofcourse, I realize that it is not meant for FR, but was just looking to make it a bit more capable for the trails by my house. Thank you for your suggestions. at 6’1” and 215-225lbs, I am looking for some heavy duty equipment.

any suggestions on converting to a single chain ring setup?

To make that bike a little more burly (Heavy AM/Light FR), for not much coin, I would do the following:

Convert a Marzocchi Single Crown Air Fork (Drop Off Series, Dirt Jumper Series, 55 Series, etc) to lower travel, your bike had a 100mm fork, so you will want to stay in this travel range…you might be able to stretch up to 110mm up front. There are lots of places online that will tell you how to lower a Marz air fork…it’s easy.

Shorter AM stem: Truvativ AKA, Race Face Atlas, etc Try 65 or 75mm

Handlebar: Wide bar (700mm+), pick a good rise/sweep (I like 1.5" rise, 6deg sweep)

Go 2×9, install a bashguard (BBG makes a cheap one) in lieu of the big ring

Bottom Bracket/Cranks: Truvativ Husselfelt cranks with a matching BB are tough and cheap.

Forte Loco Rims – Same as Azonic Outlaws, little less coin.

2.5 Front, 2.35 Rear tires: Maxxis Ardent, Kenda Excavators, are good bets

Stans NoTubes Conversion

Get a Shimano "Shadow" rear derailleur…no tensioner is really needed on those with a 1×9 or 2×9 setup.

This should pretty much maximize the AM potential of that frame, but be aware that the construction and geometry of the Cannondale F-bikes is not really suited for this type of riding.

Thanks a lot, looking into the cranks since I had one of the arms fall off during a ride.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.