Major illness Major bummer

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hi folks…I am so mad. Damm I was suppose to be at a 24h race this weekend. But as luck will have it, I contracted some kind of nasty flu, with a twist. The typical nasty stuff…Shivvers, vomiting, nausia, diahrea. I feel so weak. This really sucks. I had a great bunch of guys to run with. Had everything packed and prepped. I really wanted to compete. But as of right now, I am maybe 10% of what I usually feel like.

Praying you’ll get better soon.

"Mongoose" wrote

Sorry to hear that brother, and I hope you feel much better very soon.

I had something similar happen today, but without the race scenario. This was my second time riding in three months today and was supposed to show a new friend around our local FR trail (a singletracks member). I was out on the trail about an hour and a half before he came up from down south, and at that time he did arrive, I was feeling the nasty humid heat today biting me pretty hard, I was already out of shape and now the heat beating me down. Anyways, making a long story short I stayed for another 2 hours until the heat did beat me down something bad. I could not even ride my bike more than one mile out of the trail before I collapsed with a major case of heat exhaustion. My wife had to call the rescue transport to my aide, so by the time they were done and transported me to the hospital, the doctors told me that I was extremely close to having a heat stroke. I hardly could even keep my eyes open, and had slurred speech, along with being in a lot of pain. I am home now, even though they wanted to keep me over night (no, no, I hate hospitals), but I am still a little weak and still have a bad headache. The doctors also said that if I would of stayed out their a little longer, that I may not have made it through in enough time. Now thats a true bummer along with my friend elements ailment’s. 😢 😢

holy crap dude that’s not good! i feel for ya element, but mongoose, stuff like that is straight up scary! seriously, be careful! (ps, how bad has your wife torn into you? or is it still coming?)

Feeling better thanks. The funny thing is that they cut the race short due to nasty weather. Basically you were walking the bike around the course it was that bad..

Mongoose, I don’t know how accurate it is but I have heard that once you have sufferred from heat illnesses you are more likely to have problems again. Be careful out there in our southern heat and humididty.

Glad to hear you are recovering, likewise for you element.

Feeling better thanks. The funny thing is that they cut the race short due to nasty weather. Basically you were walking the bike around the course it was that bad

Still sucks you werent out there GRINDING it out with em even though it rained and caused a premature end to the race.Glad to see your doing better.I dont race,but man I respect you guys that do race,those races are tough.

I’m very sorry to hear about both of your mishaps, and am glad that you’re both feeling better.
      Some good may have come from it, however.
      We were out today for a fathers day ride around the more mellow parts of mission trails. We rode a very short time and stopped to mess around on the bmx track portion. After spending probably 45 minutes there, we headed back towards the main trail, but my better half wasn’t feeling so hot, even though she rested and watched while we played around on the jumps. With Mongoose’s bout with heat stroke fresh on my mind, we scrapped the ride and shortcutted back to the car very slowly and via the flattest route, probably about half a mile. Good thing, as even with the gentle pace she was slightly flushed and starting to feel nauseous by the time we got back. A half-hour in the air conditioned visitors center fixed her right up and all is well now, but it could well have been different if we’d pushed even a bit longer.

Oh man, that sucks, I always feel the pain when I hear people are deathly ill like that, well maybe not deathly, but if you are at 10% of normal functionality then that has gotta suck. Also, partly because I haven’t been sick in over 7 years (with the exception of like a sore throat, or head aches). Nevertheless, glad to hear people are getting back to norm, I think that MTB is a great way to stay healthy, so I’m not surprised at all that people feel better so soon…….. Just wish we could heal wounds as fast as we can recover from illness!

Yesterday i rode at 6pm and it was 98, Have no idea what the heat index was. Camelbak was half filled with ice cubes and drank a bunch of very cold water before hitting the trail. Also I took three breaks of 5 min plus on a trail I usally don’t tkae any. Had fun, sweated my *beep* off.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.