Lunch Hour Trail Building

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Lunch Hour Trail Building

--
SHARES

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Greg Heil 8 years ago.

• Author

I just read a short article about a New Zealand man that goes out and builds trail during his lunch hour at least once a week.

A couple things struck me in this article:
    a) He has trails close enough that he can hop on his MTB at work, ride to the trails, build trail, and ride back during his lunch break.

b) this quotation:

He says WTA’s goal is to eventually connect the city to all suburbs and the suburbs to one another.

Man, how sweet would that be? You could commute by singletrack everywhere you go! Now if only we could start getting American cities and public lands on board to allow us to build trail networks like this… I would definitely donate my lunch hours, and plenty of my weekend time, to building a similar network in my home town!

I agree, wish we had some of those systems around here. I often find my self linking up towns using old dirt roads just for fun and its better than tar. Singletracks all around would be a dream come true.

Great story! One question. Where does the Big Mack fit in? Fat people want to know. Just saying. 😄 Later,

He has trails he can ride to from work because he built them,haha. 😎

I go on my days off and build trails but I’m not that hardcore to give up my lunch break.

I only get a half hour lunch,although we do have a open space/lake right next door that has a little bit of singletrack but it’s not big enough to really open up any singletrack,it is pretty small becasuse the lake takes up alot of the open space and it is small because it is surrounded by neighborhood and public roads.

I’m saying I’d totally be down for donating a couple of hours of trail building every week if we could build trails that close to home or work.

But steve, like you, it’s just like there’s not enough public land left to even think about doing something like this any more.

Where I live here in Florida,the neighborhoods are subdivisions with only one or two ways in or out and then there are little strips of powerline roads all over between them and mostly owned by the utility company.If we could get the power company on board with having access to them that would be the biggest opening of trails we could hope for.Lots of trails exist here in town already but they aren’t all connected yet.There is a neighborhood behind ours and I can hit the woods at the end of my street and be there in 60 seconds or if I take the car,it’s a 10 minute trip.For that short trail,not sure who owns the land but nobody would ever care that there was a trail there. I’ve groomed it and added a small loop but I put in more trail work on the trail that’s 5 miles away,it’s hard to get the motivation by yourself when you may be the only one riding the trail.

I am really starting to love trail work though,if there were a couple more motivated people around,a lot could happen.

"GALAXY" wrote

Where I live here in Florida,the neighborhoods are subdivisions with only one or two ways in or out and then there are little strips of powerline roads all over between them and mostly owned by the utility company.If we could get the power company on board with having access to them that would be the biggest opening of trails we could hope for.Lots of trails exist here in town already but they aren’t all connected yet.There is a neighborhood behind ours and I can hit the woods at the end of my street and be there in 60 seconds or if I take the car,it’s a 10 minute trip.For that short trail,not sure who owns the land but nobody would ever care that there was a trail there. I’ve groomed it and added a small loop but I put in more trail work on the trail that’s 5 miles away,it’s hard to get the motivation by yourself when you may be the only one riding the trail.

I am really starting to love trail work though,if there were a couple more motivated people around,a lot could happen.

That would be absolutely perfect! Man, I’d love to have that opportunity.

It’s definitely slow-going by yourself, though… and then when you get a big group of people together, it’s really amazing how much you can accomplish!