Losing Sedona Access

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Hello fellow mtbr members:

A precedent setting decision (Forest Order) is being considered by the Red Rock Ranger District of the Coconino National Forest (USFS). This decision is dangerous as it focuses exclusively on mountain bikers.

Please make the time to read this brief petition as this decision has the potential to effect all USFS lands. If you agree with the message, please sign the petition and share the link with everyone you know.

Sign the petition

Signed. There was something wrong with the link you posted (I think I fixed it) but here it is again in case it’s still broken:

https://www.change.org/petitions/u-s-fo … n-bikers-2

Signed as well. Also going to share this on Facebook.

Signed — and commented along with signature.

I’d hate to think this years Sedona trip could be my last–or, more imporantly, anybody elses.

Signed and passed along

Signed. I’ll pass this along as well. This is too important to ignore!

Signed and posted to Facebook, Twitter, and my local trail advocacy web site.

Signed. I just love how bikers are always made out to be the ones that destroy trails…

"gar29" wrote

bikers are always made out to be the ones…

We are having to tackle perceived MTB impacts by our local land managers lately. It sucks trying to educate someone that has false preconceptions that is in a position to say "No". It reminds me alot of being a teenager and asking my father for the keys to the car.

Here is some further reading and citations to scientific research in case anyone is curious.

Natural Resource Impacts of Mountain Biking from IMBA

There is some more recent research out there too.

Keep building bridges with people…someday they will cross.

"chukt" wrote

[quote="gar29":2n1gp7ib]bikers are always made out to be the ones…

We are having to tackle perceived MTB impacts by our local land managers lately. It sucks trying to educate someone that has false preconceptions that is in a position to say "No". It reminds me alot of being a teenager and asking my father for the keys to the car.

Here is some further reading and citations to scientific research in case anyone is curious.

Natural Resource Impacts of Mountain Biking from IMBA

There is some more recent research out there too.

Keep building bridges with people…someday they will cross.[/quote:2n1gp7ib]

Interesting research. I have always (unscientifically) felt that the hikers and equestrians have a better lobby than biking, which is more grass roots oriented, other than IMBA.

Release from the US Forest Service. Sounds very reasonable:

SEDONA, Ariz. – The Red Rock Ranger District of the Coconino National Forest has implemented new rules for mountain bikers in specific areas near Sedona in order to protect land and resources.

The new rules restrict mountain bikers from leaving official National Forest system trails and prohibit bikes from cross-country travel in several specific areas. More than 170 miles of official trails remain open to mountain biking.

Impacts from numerous unauthorized and unplanned trails used by mountain bikers have prompted the new restrictions, as unplanned trails have accelerated erosion and resulted in damage to fragile soil, archaeological and watershed resources near Oak Creek.

In order to mitigate the damage from these unplanned routes and properly plan for the future, mountain bikers must now remain on National Forest system trails and are prohibited from cross-country travel in the following areas:
      • Schnebly Hill;
      • Airport;
      • Carrol Canyon;
      • Schuerman Mountain;
      • Cathedral Rock.

The new restrictions will be in place for up to two years while the district and public work together to determine long-term aspects of sustainable mountain bike use, as well as equestrian and foot cross-country travel issues and effects.

All official Forest Service trails remain open to mountain bike use, except in a Wilderness Area. The district has added 45 miles of trails in the past three years to enhance opportunities for mountain biking, which brings the total miles of trails in and around Sedona to more than 170.

“Mountain biking is a legitimate and growing use of the National Forest and especially around Sedona,” said District Ranger Heather Provencio. “However, we encourage a ‘stay-on-trail’ ethic for all users in all areas, and over the past several years we’ve noticed an increase in off-trail damage due to mountain biking. This is why these restrictions are focused on keeping bikes on trails in the most sensitive areas. We need this use to be environmentally sustainable.”

The Red Rock Ranger District has been hosting a series of public meetings to plan and implement a long-term sustainable trail system and continues to conduct public meetings. The district considered a larger area for the restriction but narrowed the focus after discussion with the Verde Valley Cyclists Coalition and International Mountain Bike Association—which are helping to educate users, encourage responsible riding and monitor off-trail impacts.

The district is following the lead of places like Moab and Fruita in the requirement to keep bikes on designated trails to protect our fragile soils and watershed. This temporary restriction will be in place as the district and public collaborate and plan a long-term, sustainable trail system.

For more information about public meetings on the Red Rock trail planning process or how to volunteer on trail projects visit http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/ or call the Red Rock Ranger District at (928) 282-4119.

That does sound good. Seems like they don’t have a problem with bikes as long as they stay on the trails, which they should be doing anyways…

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Release from the US Forest Service. Sounds very reasonable:

It sounds reasonable, sure. But the main issue, as I understand it from afar, is that the MtnBikers lost access to trails that they built.

So now, Mtn Bike built trails can still be used by hikers and horsemen…but not the creators.

"chukt" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":i6pg50ia]Release from the US Forest Service. Sounds very reasonable:

It sounds reasonable, sure. But the main issue, as I understand it from afar, is that the MtnBikers lost access to trails that they built.

So now, Mtn Bike built trails can still be used by hikers and horsemen…but not the creators.[/quote:i6pg50ia]

Well, that definitely sucks… so are the hikers and horsebackriders using said unsanctioned trails, or have the trails been sanctioned and the bikers just left out?

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.