Looking to upgrade hardtail

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone,
      I’m new here, and trying to get back in to biking after a long layoff. I used to ride 6 days a week until kids, then took a long hiatus and now the kids are at an age and I am at a weight where it is time to get back on the bike. I’ve been riding a few times a week for the last few weeks and am quickly realizing a few things 1) I am out of shape (unless round is a shape) 2) the old saying "Its just like riding a bike, you never forget" is silly, because I forgot how to ride a bike (see the crutches next to my desk for referance) and 3) my old back needs a full suspension rig.
      So, Here I am , asking for some help with number 3-

I have a Trek 8900 SL now. Its a really nice bike IMO, with great components. The few components on it when I bought it that I didn’t like, I have replaced- handlebars, stem, seat, grips. I see no [i:3gvefrne]need[/i:3gvefrne] to replace components, but how much have frames changed in the last 6 years? Have bottom brackets changed? Aheadsets? The one problem that is pretty obvious to me is it seems that everything has gone longer travel, so my old SID probably will screw up the geometry of say a 4+ inch rear travel bike… is that right? What about my brakes? I was looking at frames and I saw that there is now a "International Disk Brake standard". I remember at the time, the two big brake manufacturers had different mounting options (Hayes and Maguara I believe), are my Hayes Brakes going to work on new bike X? Where should I start?
      With all that in mind (that I want to reuse as many components as possible) does anyone have any frame recommendations? I love my Trek, so I was looking at those. I also checked out the Santa Cruz’s, they seem nice too. I ride mainly singletrack stuff, nothing super technical, but I want to get back in to riding harder. Living in the northeast, most of the stuff here is pretty rock infested and bumpy. I am 6′ and 190 and lowering. I will most likely buy used, but I have plenty of time to wait for the right frame. I would like to keep it around $500-1000 if possible.
      Thanks anyone for the help.

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3532

Thanks Maddslacker for this, I checked it out. 😳

70 views, 0 replies. Wow. Nobody likes their bikes?

Not sure why you haven’t received any replies but my 2 cents: forget trying to re-use your old components. You probably won’t be able to find many *used* *frame only* FS bikes plus you’re cannibalizing one bike to build another (what will you do with the 8900 frame?). You’re also using parts that are up to 6 years old and there have been some pretty big advances since then in brakes, shifters, suspension, etc.

My advice? Sell the old to finance the new.

"trek7k" wrote

Not sure why you haven’t received any replies but my 2 cents: forget trying to re-use your old components. You probably won’t be able to find many *used* *frame only* FS bikes plus you’re cannibalizing one bike to build another (what will you do with the 8900 frame?). You’re also using parts that are up to 6 years old and there have been some pretty big advances since then in brakes, shifters, suspension, etc.

My advice? Sell the old to finance the new.

See that was my question. Have there been major advances? My current ride has full XTR, and Hayes Hydraulic disks.
      I did just replace last year my stem and bars to a Easton Carbon riser bar.
      But what has changed with the XTR derailers?

As far as not being able to find many frames, you are crazy. Go to Ebay, there are hundreds every day.

I stand corrected – there are a lot of FS frames for sale. I think you might get more replies if you were asking specifics: will 2005 Hayes Stroker brakes work on a 2007 Fuel EX 8 frame (for example). Or give us a full list of the components you plan on reusing (I didn’t realize you already had XTR derailleurs).

Buy a complete new bike. Keep the HT for crusing around on mild trails and buy a FS for bombing the big ones

My 2 Cents

PS: Page through the forums, There are a BUNCH of blogs with a tremendous amount of good advice and buying tips

My opinion is that if you want a frame only? Santa Cruz, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Kona etc. all make good frames. I am a big pusher for the idea that it is preference more than brand on most of the "good" companies. I agree that the technology has changed quite a bit just in few years, let alone longer. Are you bike savy enough that you are going to build the bike yourself? You could always bounce ideas and components off of your local bike shop too. The guys at my shop will always talk about ideas and what I want to do.
      Just remember also that if you buy off of Ebay, you will have no warranty. Don’t let anyone BS you otherwise. For example my Specialized has a lifetime warranty on the frame. Plus one year on all componets, I have had a few things replaced that I broke on the trail. All warranties I know of are void if you sell the bike to a new owner.
      If you plan on getting back into it for good I would personally go with a higher end bike. Like a Stumpjumper etc. but that’s just my opinion.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.