Looking for trail system to ride close to Knoxville, TN

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Looking for trail system to ride close to Knoxville, TN

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I need your help. I am going to to be on vacation for a couple days in May with the family in Knoxville, TN. I am looking to get out riding for a couple hours one day. Looking for a nice trail system that is within 45 min. or so to the Knoxville area. Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

i live in knoxville, so here goes. there are lots and lots of trails here that fit your description. my favorite is IC King, which is a can’t get lost series of loops that are pretty technical and some steeps too if you get up in the hills. you can show up alone here and ride.

the hottest thing going on in Knoxville are the trails opening up at IJAM’s also known unofficially as the "dirty south" or more politically correct "urban wilderness." anyway, 30+ miles of single track with literally new trails being added ever couple months. if you spend some time looking at the map and getting a feel for it you could do this solo, but you might want to hook up with someone only because its a huge area that meanders through neighborhoods, connecting the various areas. typically tuesday afternoons they have group rides. sometimes on thursdays. Tennessee Valley Bikes or TVB does some rides, ditto for Fountain City Peddlers. this place is minutes from downtown and you could probably ride it the whole time you are here and not hit all the trails.

in west knoxville, there is concord park which is (to me) more multi-track than single track but its a can’t get lost show up on your own kind of thing. IC King is better, btw.

Haw Ridge is the most established and most popular area and is 30 minutes outside of knoxville (easy drive). i don’t ride it a lot and when i showed up solo it wasn’t as good as following someone who knows it. very popular, you can hook up with someone in the parking lot.

if you are coming here and staying in Sevierville/pigeon forge/gatlinburg, look into riding in Morristown as there are some trails up there and about the same drive time to knoxville.

i just signed up for this website and am not sure if you can contact me but if you can please do so. i ride mostly during the week, sort of late afternoon.

Thank you very much for the info! My plans unfortunately fell through for this Spring… Hope to get down there soon though. I’ll keep you in mind when I eventually get down there. Thanks again!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.