Looking for New Hartail! Which Make?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,
      I’m thinking of buying a new hardtail bike, don’t have a price fixed in my mind (hoping for a bargain) but must be a real lightweight! Quite like the GT Zasker, or maybe one of the Scott range?

Your thoughts and opinions (sensible opinions) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Moss

Make isn’t so important, neither is weight. Fit, geometry, and fitting your budget are.

If you could describe the typical trail you ride on, and your rough skill level in a sentence, that will help narrow down geometry.

Height, inseam, torso length and arm length will help dial in your fit. (http://www.competitivecyclist.com has an excellent online fitting calculator.) http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC … ATOR_INTRO

Just remember, a stock bicycle may not fit you all that well and you may have to buy things like saddles, stems, handlebars, etc to make things fit correctly. A lot of times reptuable shops will work with you on trading out parts to get a good fit out of the box.

Lastly, what do you want to spend? The used market can be enticing, but you often end up having to spend a fair bit of money fixing issues/wear items, plus having to buy things to tailor the fit as well.

"8valvegrowl" wrote

Make isn’t so important, neither is weight. Fit, geometry, and fitting your budget are.

If you could describe the typical trail you ride on, and your rough skill level in a sentence, that will help narrow down geometry.

Height, inseam, torso length and arm length will help dial in your fit. (http://www.competitivecyclist.com has an excellent online fitting calculator.) http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC … ATOR_INTRO

Just remember, a stock bicycle may not fit you all that well and you may have to buy things like saddles, stems, handlebars, etc to make things fit correctly. A lot of times reptuable shops will work with you on trading out parts to get a good fit out of the box.

Lastly, what do you want to spend? The used market can be enticing, but you often end up having to spend a fair bit of money fixing issues/wear items, plus having to buy things to tailor the fit as well.

Hi,

Thanks for tthe reply! Rider skill level? a tricky one to answer; but, without wishing to blow my own trumpet! And as I’m now 63, years young, an ex Triathelete at top club level, a bit of Road Racing, and an average TT rider, Good Crit Rider, Hill Climber, also a wee bit of cyclo cross racing. Some Audax and a good deal of long cross country riding. But these days I just ride for fun! I’m getting old; and I’d put my fittness level at about the same as a 40, year old decent club rider!

I prefer a lightweight bike; and any suggestions would be welcomed! Obviously I will read all the pros and cons; and try to see the mount befor deciding! £price? Lets keep it under a Grand £1000.00

Well, lucky for you, your options are many. At that pricepoint (~1600USD) there are many quality hardtail options on the market.

I’m not as up on my current hardtails as I traded in for a 5.5" front and rear full suss trail bike 4 years ago and haven’t looked back, but I will say that ANY of the major and less major companies will build a good, competent hardtail, with good spec components in the GBP700-1000 range.

My recommendation is to find a shop that has three or four brands (Trek, Specialized, GT, Kona, Giant, Scott, etc) and try a couple of bikes out and see which one ‘works’ for you.

You might also consider throwing a leg over some 29’r hardtails like a Gary Fisher/Trek, depending on your size and riding style it might make a good fit.

Anyway, good luck and report back if you have specific questions or if you pull the trigger on a new ride!

Thanks for your help and advise! you were the only one to reply with a valid point!

Regards

M

t is a crucial thing to check what training the broker offers when you are choosing a platform for trading.

It is a crucial thing to check what training the broker offers when you are choosing a platform for trading. This approach will allow you to save a lot of time and avoid many mistakes. Recently, brokers offer video tutorials, and they greatly simplify the life of a beginner. I am from the USA, worldpostalcode.com/united-states/illinois/Chicago. It’s a pity we do not have access to many platforms.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.