looking for good tires

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking to buy some new tires for my bike. I’m heading out to the Poconos (Jim Thorpe area of PA) in a couple weeks to do some riding there & I’d like to upgrade my tires. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good all-around (and preferrably budget-friendly) tire that could handle some tougher conditions (rocks, etc)? Thanks for the help.

Thanks a lot for the help. I’ll have to check these out.

+1 on the Velociraptors.
      [i:1xorrz09]
      PROS
      [/i:1xorrz09]

They stick in almost all conditions. The rear tire is even reversible for mud.

They can be found for sale almost anywhere and normally for pretty cheaply as well. Normally you can find them in the $20 per tire range.

They don’t wear down quickly.

They don’t pinch flat very often.

The rolling resistance is not too bad even though they have an aggressive lug pattern.

[i:1xorrz09]Cons[/i:1xorrz09]

They are a bit on the heavy side compared to a more racing geared tire.

They can feel a litle squirmy on hardpack and concrete.[/u][/i][/b]

The Velociraptors sound like a great tire – I’ll have to give them a go.

I’m currently using the Panaracer XC fire pro’s and really like them for the riding I’m doing.

Just to back up up what everybody else has already said. You have made an excellent choice in tires if you have gone with WTB Velociraptors. All I have to say is that they are awesome. By far some of the best MTB tires that I have ever used. If you read the reviews in the gear section under tires for these you will see what we mean by that they grip almost anything. Just make sure that when you get them on; put them to the test and go around a sweeping turn as fast as you can (on the trail or something else that is not paved, road burn hurts). You can literally feel the grip.

Well,I gotta say these tire’s are the real deal.I’ve been using them this summer and do not have one complaint.I think even the rolling resistance is as good as it can be because the tread on these tire’s are rounded so the tire only roll’s on the center of the tire.And I would’nt complain about the noise on pavment these tire’s make because when I come rolling off the trail at 280 plbs. they sound like an 18 wheeler coming down the parking lot,hahahahaahaha and eveyone turn’s to see what it is.hahahahaa.

"Mongoose" wrote

I actually like the noise mine make when I ride on the rode (like a big mud truck), which I do often. They always let people hear me coming before I get right up on them. They just love to sing.

Sig worthy quote right there…

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.