Looking for Advice on my first full suspension bike…

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Looking for Advice on my first full suspension bike…

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking to purchase my first full suspension bike. I ride mostly XC, but am looking for something capable of doing some light DH. I’m 6′ and about 215, so I need something that can handle a bigger dude. My price range is about $2200-$2500. I’ve narrowed my choices down to the ’10 Specialized FSR COMP, Specialized Enduro SL COMP, Trek EX8, and Giant Reign X1. I was leaning toward the stumpy just because I do mostly XC and want to improve my climbing. I was concerned my bigger build with the other choices might make climbing tough though. The downside with the stumpy is I wasn’t sure if it could handle some decent DH (nothing crazy though). Durability a big issue for my as well. This will be my bike for awhile. Component wise, they all seem to be similar. Any info and opinions would be great.

"mattp113" wrote

I’m looking to purchase my first full suspension bike. I ride mostly XC, but am looking for something capable of doing some light DH. I’m 6′ and about 215, so I need something that can handle a bigger dude. My price range is about $2200-$2500. I’ve narrowed my choices down to the ’10 Specialized FSR COMP, Specialized Enduro SL COMP, Trek EX8, and Giant Reign X1. I was leaning toward the stumpy just because I do mostly XC and want to improve my climbing. I was concerned my bigger build with the other choices might make climbing tough though. The downside with the stumpy is I wasn’t sure if it could handle some decent DH (nothing crazy though). Durability a big issue for my as well. This will be my bike for awhile. Component wise, they all seem to be similar. Any info and opinions would be great.

Those are all awesome bikes, and 215 lbs is big but it isn’t THAT big. I wouldn’t think it would affect your bike choice that much.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you’re looking at. If you’re still worried about durability, buy a bike with a lifetime warranty on the frame. I know Trek’s have them, and if you search the forum I think we had a topic a while back about warranties and we ended up listing a whole bunch of brands and their different warranty policies. Go dredge that up, and you should be well on your way!

You know I’m in the same spot, looking for a FS with the same budget. I’ve been researching my butt off and for me, the Giant Reign 2 seems to be the best deal. My buddy is looking at the Specialized FSR Comp and it looks nice. The only draw-back I’ve found is that the rear shock ([i:2k7ipx2o]Fox Triad[/i:2k7ipx2o]) is evidently longer than most replacement versions. Giant has a great warranty or at least they did. Plus I like the SRAM component set they have over the Shimano ([i:2k7ipx2o]Trek[/i:2k7ipx2o]) and my LBS has Giant as their primier brand.[/i]

The 2010 models of Giant have gone through some weight reduction so that is a good thing considering this bike will be used for not only your hucking sessions but other rides. Good mix of components.

The specialized Enduro Comp is also a nice bike…It really boils down to how does each one feel to you..Ask to test ride each one.

How much DH do you plan on doing? If it’s not much, I’d look more at trail bikes instead of the AM rigs.

Check out the Giant Trance X. That thing is bad.

I think I’ve narrowed my choices down to the ’10 Trek EX8 and the Stumpy FSR comp. I test rode the reign and enduro and the geometry was more DH driven than what I’m looking for. I’m only loking to hit and true DH 4 to 5 times a year. Does anyone have any experience on the EX8 or Stumpy?

"mattp113" wrote

I think I’ve narrowed my choices down to the ’10 Trek EX8 and the Stumpy FSR comp. I test rode the reign and enduro and the geometry was more DH driven than what I’m looking for. I’m only loking to hit and true DH 4 to 5 times a year. Does anyone have any experience on the EX8 or Stumpy?

Hey Matt, I just recently upgraded to a full suspension also, I went with the trek top fuel 5.5. You have more of a price range so I would go with the Fuel 8 like you were thinking. The only concern I see is that when I was shopping around I went to two different bike shops in two different towns and they both said that every bike company this year (2010) has cut cost on their bikes, by making them cheaper. So I found a used bike that had been ridden about twice… Thought I would throw that out there…

Chris

Did you consider getting a Giant Trance X2, that is a XC bike that has 5 or 6 in. of travel on the front shock. Great for XC and Downhill. I have an Trance X3 and it has been awesome. Its held up great for the first year and its saved me from wrecking hard on some downhills. I believe the Giant you looked at before is designed more for downhill than XC.

C’mon Goo, let Matt be big at 215. I thought I was big at 225 then I saw some behemoths on here clearing 300+ 😮 Matt we may not be big but I guess we’re still above average… Other than that I can’t help ya since mine is a hardtail. Good luck! Bet you enjoy whichever you choose

I’ve been kicking both the Trance and Reign around. Only a $150 dollar difference so I’ve been thinking the Reign is the deal. Might have to look at the Trance again hearing how the Reign is setup more for DH. Do you think a little longer stem might get it back on track or is the geo that different from the Trance?

Along with more travel there is significant differences in geometry and adding a long stem won’t really fix it. In fact that may be the exact thing you don’t want to be doing on the Reign.

Like I am a few of the guys said. Think about really what kind of riding your doing most. And get the bike that fits that bill the best.

Oops sorry one to many beers tonite

the second paragraph should have said:

Like what most of the guys said….

Mainly singletrack although FR ladders and medium jumps are appealing. I don’t want to spend the $ and then wish I gone one better.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.