Looking for a bit of advice… or opinions

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Some of you may have read my introduction posting a few weeks ago. Since then, I have been out on a few short rides to try to get back in shape; mostly pavement stuff and I’m having fun and feel myself getting back into it, but I’m really disenchanted with my old Pro Flex. Part of it might be that I remember being in much better shape, but I really question what I was thinking back in the mid 90s when I got the Pro Flex to make my short-lived leap to full suspension. I just can’t get happy about it. Just for fun last weekend I aired up the Ricthie Duro Ks (not really in safe condition) on my ancient Nishiki Pinnacle and rode it and loved it. 😎 I started thinking, what if I sold the Pro Flex and put the money into the non-suspended Nishiki to ride until I got in better shape (might take a while… probably won’t be doing any serious terrain for a few months or more -we really are talking baby steps here). That would also give me time to try to get up to speed on what’s new and what to look for in a bike. When I got out of mtn biking, U-brakes were still common -lots of changes since then. I’ve got a steep learning curve ahead of me, not to mention I’m on a bit of tight budget for the time being.

Question #1: The Nishiki has all XT stuff, which was the best back then. I’m not sure what the dropout width is, but it has a 6-speed hub. Deraileur and probably the chain are worn, is there anything out there now that I can replace them with, or will the width be an issue? Maybe my cables are jut stretched and the deraileur is fine, how do I tell?

Question #2: What would you ask for the Pro Flex 555 from the mid 90s. with STX components? Whatever I would get for it, I’d put into the other bike.

Question #3: Is this a ridiculous idea?

Any input would be appreciated.
      -Mark

I guess I am way newer, since i’ve only been riding since like 05. and i havent hear of either of those bikes/brands… only thing that sounds familiar is XT. shimano is still around.

i’d say just ride the stinking bike and save up your $$ for something nice.

When I worked in a bike shop one summer in college (1990ish) Nishikis were a decent bike for the money.

As for the derailleur, it may be ok and just need a good clean/adjust and a new cable, like you theorized. Your dropouts would probably fit a 7 or 8-speed, keeping in mind that you would also need to replace the cassette and shifters. (I’m also not sure about the width of the hub, better check that too)

That being said, very few Shimano derailleurs wear out without the help of a crash, I’d clean it, lube it and check the cables/shifters first.

It’s not going to be easy to find 6 speed parts anymore so just clean the old stuff really well, relube it, and see if that works first. If that doesn’t work you will have a tough decision to make. I believe that many of the old 6/7 freehubs have a 126mm dropout width but rather than theorizing, just measure the space between the inside edges of your rear dropouts. The 8 and 9 speed cassettes use a larger size freehub body that won’t fit the 126mm frame without some modification. The process isn’t cheap or easy and I wouldn’t recommend it unless you didn’t care if you permanently damaged the frame (a serious risk in this situation). Unless you REALLY want to try everything to ride THIS bike, I would just save up for another if the cleaning and relubing didn’t work out.

7-speed stuff IS still available.

"maddslacker" wrote

7-speed stuff IS still available.

That’s true too. Going to need new shifters like you said earlier.

I’ll second the nishiki being a decent bike,I’ve rode one for a little while years back,about 20 of em,hahahaha,I think that was the bike I rode to work in high school.I think Goo is right,ride the nishiki and get what you can for the pro flex,and save,save,save.Maby do a lay-a-way,
      How much do you think you could get for the pro flex?

Dropout width is 126mm. Assuming the deraileur is still good, should I blast it out with carburetor cleaner and lube it with a spray type lubricant, or are there more specialized products now I should be using? It wouldn’t be worth it to me to do any major frame modification, but I would replace any worn out components if need be (and replacements are still available).

I wouldn’t "blast" it out with anything. Just take it off the bike and wash it it warm water. Make sure to slean the pulley wheels too. Dry it off completely and lube all the pivots really well and pulley wheel axles. I use Triflow on my derailleurs and I wipe off the excess afterwards. When you go to clean your cables, take them fully out of the housings and make sure to clean inside them as best you can (a little pressure would probably be a good thing in this case). Lots of gunk will get in there and destroy shifiting. Some people will put a thin lube in the cable housings as well. Triflow would work again in this case. Good luck.

"steve32300" wrote

I’ll second the nishiki being a decent bike,I’ve rode one for a little while years back,about 20 of em,hahahaha,I think that was the bike I rode to work in high school.I think Goo is right,ride the nishiki and get what you can for the pro flex,and save,save,save.Maby do a lay-a-way,
      How much do you think you could get for the pro flex?

I don’t really know how much the mid-90s Pro Flex is worth. I feel like I’m way behind the learning curve coming back in to this; been away too long. Technology and equipment have really changed. My guess is $100-150, it hasn’t been ridden much, but it’s probably pretty outdated. What do you all think?

[img][img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z227/coop923/IMG_0947.jpg[/img][/img]

That model of proflex had issues with the elastomer "suspension" unfortunately that model broke the bolt that holds the elastomers and seat stays together…Umm I couldn’t really say how much that is worth knowing that information…If you sell it for parts maybe the fork and other components could be worth a few dollars.

If you really need the money,do your best to try and find a buyer online over at craigslist or maby e-bay if your a e-bayer.I think thats where you comin from is’nt it?You might find SOMONE who is interested in buying this bike for sentimental or collector reasons.

To give you a comparison, I bought my Specialized Rockhopper, 1 year old & used, for $150.00

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.