Long Slump

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

It has been forever since i’ve ridden, at first it was because i was doing terrible in my last semester in high school, but then i started to make more and more excuses about why i didn’t ride. and honestly i hate that i haven’t ridden in so long, i miss my bike, i miss my trails, and i miss being in shape.

i’ve put on almost 80lbs in the last year, which is terrible, because this time last year i was riding every single day, and in the best shape of my life. I want more that anything to be able to ride the way i used to, and one of my goals is to be able to keep up with Goo. but to do so, i have to A.) get back into shape, and B.) get my bike(s) back into working order.

So have any of you found yourselves in similar situations? how did you get out of them? i’m lost on where to start.

The best place to start is on the trail. Do a quick once over of your rig and get out there. If something would happen to break then you will be surprised how having to fix your bike due to riding it will charge up those batteries and before you know it you will be out there every chance you get. Take advantage of it now, once the kids arrive your riding takes a back seat. Well one could argue that started when you say "I do…"

I was in exactly this condition a few years ago. I started commuting to work on my bike in order to build endurance and lose weight.

Hey man, I’d love to meet up and ride with you again!

In answer to your question, I’ll tell you what I tell lots of people wondering about commitments in their life such as physical exercise: you gotta WANT it. If you really want it, you’ll really do it. If you’re just doing it out of obligation or a half-hearted desire, it just ain’t gonna happen.

Some general advice on life! 😀 PM or text me if you ever want to ride. I really want to get back down to chicopee some time soon.

I’m with ya on that FB! I put on almost 100 lbs. before getting back on the bike! in the past 2 years I have been able to take and keep off 45 of them. When I sold my old GT years ago and decided that drinking was way more important that my physical condition, it just didnt seem to matter much! Now, 34, I have a renewed love of biking, and my wife is very cooperative of letting me out! Its harder to do now, with a baby at home, but, you just have to want it. My main reason, was watching "Biggest Loser" and seeing people with young children and doing nothing to interact with them! Soon as we found out that a baby was on the way, I told my wife, I’m getting a bike again. Best part is now she wants to start riding! She sees how amped I am after a good ride and want that for herself too! Lucky for her, she lost all the baby weight right away and doesnt have all extra weight to lug along on the trail that I do!

I think commuting is where i plan to start, my mountain bike needs new wheels, i have the wheels but i haven’t had them put on yet, and im terrible at bike maintenance so i need to get that done. i think the warm weather is going to be a big motivation as well. and Goo i can’t wait to ride together again but i have to get into better shape first so i can keep up with you. also i have a car now so i can come and ride in your neck of the woods.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.