Lexington KY MTBikers

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I am new to Mt Biking. I’ve been riding about 2 months, although I used to ride regularly – strictly street bikes many years ago. I live in Lexington, KY and mainly ride in Veteran’s park – most every night for around an hour – hour and a half – because it is convenient to my house. I am not technically savvy and don’t know anything about components, riding techniques, or anything else, but I am hooked! I haven’t had this much fun in years! I would like to meet other riders in my age group (yikes) I am 53 years old that could help me learn more, faster.

Welcome to the world of MTBing HB1024! 😃
      This is only a suggestion, but you could go to your local bike shops and see if they have any group rides going on. Around here we have group rides (both MTB and Road) that have all kinds of different ages and skill levels (plus female riders also). I enjoy riding by myself, but when I have friends along it`s even better.
      Take care.

One more thing HB1024, around here if a new rider wanted to start riding with the group, they would be welcomed with open arms. I would bet money that they are the same way in Lexington, KY too. You know, that southern hospitality thing.

Thanks Sweetlife! It helps to know that groups might be open to new riders. I picture them being frustrated with new rider who doesn’t know much and may not be able to "keep up" at first.

http://www.kymba.org is a good place to start.

Best trail near Lexington is Capital View Park in Frankfort.

Louisville has several good trails.

But the best I’ve ridden in Ky are down in Daniel Boone National Forest near Morehead.

Welcome Hollybelle. There are quite a few over 40 who post regularly on this forum; seems this bug has no age limit. I just turned 50 and started riding 3 years ago. It’s a great addiction; I mean activity isn’t it? My first year and a half I rode mostly solo, and then I hooked up with a riding partner who has schooled me in parts, bikes, and maintenance. Got lucky there I think. Sweetlife’s suggestion of getting into a group ride sounds good. I still ride solo probably 75% of the time. It is hard to find someone with compatible schedules and riding speed. Solo or group, either way just keep riding. If you don’t meet other riders through a group ride, you will meet them on the trail.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.