Leg cramps

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Leg cramps

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone have a silver bullet for leg cramps?
      I am in the best cycling condition of my life (winning sport class races) and riding 2-3 times a week but no matter what I do if I am riding hard I start getting cramps around 2 hours in to a race pace ride. I drink tons, I have tried sport legs, eating bannas, stretching and nothing seems to help.

What part of your legs is cramping???

Make sure your getting enough salt as well.On one of my yearly physicals,my doc told me that I wasnt getting enough salt and that I should start putting salt on my food.

[url:bvcdtn2z]http://www.erofit.com/documents/NancyClark_SaltandAthletes.pdf[/url:bvcdtn2z]

My first advice would be to go see your doctor and get an evaluation and ask some questions,especially since your racing and putting yourself through alot.

"Mongoose" wrote

Steve is very correct, you should consult your doctor & that salt (sodium) is a very valuable mineral for your body which does help in preventing cramps. Just be carefull, toooo much salt intake/consumption can be bad for you. I also suggest to substitute table salt with sea salt, a much healthier consumption than table salt and also highly recommended by doctors, sports trainers, and nutritionists. Seriously!

This is true. I have to do the same thing already for different reasons.

"spazjensen" wrote

What part of your legs is cramping???

First it is my quads, the lower part near the knee. Next the hamstrings will start. If I don’t stop and take a break it will get to the point that they will be both locked at the same time and I can’t even bend my legs – those are fun times!
      Once in a great while my calves or hip flexors cramp too but that is rare.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I will try these things out.

"rallyvette" wrote

[quote="spazjensen":1njbjdwf]What part of your legs is cramping???

First it is my quads, the lower part near the knee. Next the hamstrings will start. If I don’t stop and take a break it will get to the point that they will be both locked at the same time and I can’t even bend my legs – those are fun times!
      Once in a great while my calves or hip flexors cramp too but that is rare.[/quote:1njbjdwf]

Same exact thing happens to me to in regards to the cramping pattern you described. Only that for me it happens during a long epic ride that is strenuous uphill. Your’s is kicking in much faster though? I know that if I ever pull anything or if a muscle gets bruised it will start cramping up, but only in that one centralized spot of the muscle. When this happens, I just have to give it time and take to easy for a while. I would try some of the suggestions that have already been made.

If this only a recent development then I would give it time and closely monitor any amount of strain put on the muscle. At the same consider some of the nutritional information already given.

Hope they loosen up soon… 😀

Just to throw it out there. do you get "this" cramp anytime else, for example when you sit down in the same position for an extended period of time. It could be pinched nerve that is causing this. Doesn’t happen to me riding but if I sit prolonged I have this killer "cramp" in just one of my legs.

I only get the cramps after 1.5 to 2 hours of hard riding. On the road bike it will usually take 2.5 to 3 hours before I get any cramping.
      I don’t get them after sitting for extended periods or anything like that.
      I haven’t mentioned to my doctor because I expect his answer will be stop and rest if you get cramps.
      thanks again to everyone for their input.

Dr. Moongoose….Geesh good stuff…And i thought i knew a thing or two…

Well my two cents worth would have been to take a hot bath followed by a cooling of the legs.
      That if anything relieves lactic acid build up but. And getting a Massage to try and stretch out the quads.

Now if this is a chronic thing seeing a doctor is always a good idea..But try and find one who is into sports medicine. There is a big difference from seeing a M.D. to someone who specializes in a discipline…

"rallyvette" wrote

I am in the best cycling condition of my life (winning sport class races) and riding 2-3 times a week but no matter what I do if I am riding hard I start getting cramps around 2 hours in to a race pace ride. I drink tons, I have tried sport legs, eating bannas, stretching and nothing seems to help.

qwll you can avois this next time by eating a banana before ridding, it is by the lack of potassium that makes you have cramps

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="rallyvette":2ns1a9kk]Anyone have a silver bullet for leg cramps?

Well, first of all, defining a cramp is simple enough: It’s nothing more than the short, involuntary contraction of a muscle. One of your muscles literally decides to flex, and to briefly stay that way, without your permission. Certain drugs, such as diuretics (water pills) for the heart and for high blood pressure, have also been cited as a cause of leg cramps

Low levels of certain minerals known as electrolytes—magnesium, potassium, calcium and sodium—have long been linked to leg cramps. You also may be in short supply of vitamin E. It has been said by sports therapist & nutritionist that using a vitamin & mineral therapy will help tremendously with warding off these painful cramps.

These dietary tips can help you keep magnesium and vitamin E, the nutrients that help ward off leg cramps, where you need them in your body:

Cut the cocktails. Even a single drink containing alcohol may decrease the supply of magnesium in your body.

Trim the fat. Dietary fat makes magnesium harder to absorb, increasing the chances that it will be wasted.

Cap your sweet tooth. Eating sugary foods forces your body to use magnesium just to metabolize the sweet stuff.

Can the cola. Soft drinks contain phosphates, which experts say also deplete your body of magnesium and calcium.

Doctors recommend these nutrients to help end leg cramps.

Nutrient Daily Amount

Calcium: 800-1,200 milligrams

Magnesium: 800-1,200 milligrams, taken as 2 or 3 divided doses

Vitamin E: 400 international units

I hope that this helps, as this worked for me when i was getting a lot of leg cramps even though I am in good physical shape. Good luck brother![/quote:2ns1a9kk]
      Damn Goose. Why didn’t you go into sports medicine when you gave up being a paramedic??? 😃

I have had severe cramps while riding hard trails also, but it is usually my own dumb fault. I may have indulged in some beverages the night prior and did not drink enough water. Being dehydrated makes me cramp up on the tough trails. I cramped up in my first MTB race last weekend, cost me several minutes…but still placed 7th. STAY HYDRATED!

"rallyvette" wrote

i saw a post mention build up of latic acid or something like that which made me remember my ex wife she has a muscle disease that didnt kick in until her senior year of high school and up till then she played volleyball and ran with no problems until one day she started cramping mostly in her legs and it wouldnt stop and it came on quick like your talking about so you might want to ask a doctor to test you for forgive my spelling but if you say it like i’m pronouncing to spell it a doctor should know here goes Muscle disease called FY BRO MA ALGIA.
      I pray you dont have this God awful disease may the force be with you.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.