Leaf Shredz

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Had a really great ride this weekend! Meet my friends Nevin, Kyle, and Tom at the Key Bridge parking lot at 1pm Sunday afternoon – the parking lot was full (that’s rare for these old school trails)! Lotsa folks out enjoying the perfect day. Bluebird skies, mid 50’s, and the fall colors were going off. We rode Wine Creek first, then Nevin and Kyle headed home and Tom and I pedalled the pavement around to the Modoc trailhead where there was an SUV parked in the lot. After finishing Modoc we ran across a couple walking the gravel road with their dogs – that SUV was theirs back at the Modoc lot, and they had no idea where they were. We gave them directions back to 28 and continued on to finish our ride. We were both tired, but the miles went by quickly and relatively easily. Trying to keep up with Tom on the road connectors was a big waste of calories. I was on my SS, he was on a 1×10, and when we got off the singletrack he put it in the biggest gear he had and dropped the hammer. I could hang on for a few miles, spinning like crazy and staying close enough to draft, but eventually I had to sit up and let him ride away. I can only spin at 1,000rpm for so long!

It got chilly as the sun go low, temps dropped to about 43 by the time we got back to our cars. We brought lights, but just barely didn’t need to turn them on, finished up right at sunset, still with enough light even in the woods.

42 miles, 4.5hrs out there. No crashes, no mechanicals, no cramps (tho they were coming for sure haha). A perfect day. Here’s the proof it really happened.

Fall is my favorite time of the year for riding, and days like that are exactly why. Here’s a bunch of pics.

Love the black and gold look on that bike!

"gar29" wrote

Love the black and gold look on that bike!

Thanks, me too! It’s kind of polarizing, some folks don’t like it, but I do and that’s all that matters haha.

The chainring was the first gold bit, no rhyme or reason why I choose gold. Frame was white at the time. Then I got the stem top cap as a SWAG item at the Snake Creek Gap Time Trials one year, and I opt’d for gold to match the chainring. Sometime later I had the frame stripped and powder coated flat black. Then when I built the wheels up, gold hubs and nipples were the natural choice.

But – that’s as far as the color matchy matchy will go. Lots of folks over do it IMO.

I don’t know, I’m thinking a final touch would be matching riding gear 😆

That is an awesome day on the ol’ SS !!!! What gearing you running?? I hate the pavement rides between trailheads. Its easy to get dropped for sure.

"rsb201" wrote

That is an awesome day on the ol’ SS !!!! What gearing you running?? I hate the pavement rides between trailheads. Its easy to get dropped for sure.

I’m using a 32×19, on a 29er. It’s pretty much perfect for the trails around here, but a taller gear would certainly help on the pavement!

We did the same route in reverse this weekend, and it was also a great day in the saddle. The leaves are all off the trees now though, now they’re covering the trail. The crunch is deafening 😄

http://southernwheelworks.com/2014/12/13/leaf-season/

I’m running 32 x 20 for the hills here in WV. I wish I had a 22 for some of them but the 20 seems to be about right. I have managed a 24 mile ride on the SS earlier this year. Can’t imagine 42!! But I saw the mileage you throw down (1700) nice!!!!! I truly love my SS. Fall is the best time for sure, just doesn’t last long enough. Great pics!!!

Just keep riding, you’ll keep getting stronger and stronger!

And it’s hard to compare mileage in different areas, we don’t have big ups or downs, just rolling terrain, and trails aren’t technical so you can move at a pretty good clip.

Plus, I’ve been riding mostly SS in the woods for 5 or 6 years now. It certainly makes you a stronger rider!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.