Landing straight drop off/table top on MTB

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

We both just started riding more difficult trails ever since our first adventure race (Castlewood 8 hours, MO). I know this is a newbie question, but I want to save some money on dental bills….

Going off a straight drop off/table top, how do you NOT land on your front tire? I try to lean back and pull up on the handlebars, but to know avail. Do I need more speed or lean back more? My teeth and nose thank you in advance….
      -ck

Yea although all 3 come into play, speed and/or momentum has more to do with it than pulling up or how far you lean back. Whether you pull up/lean back or not, if your front tire is on its way down before your back tire leaves the edge of the drop you will inevitably land on your front tire- (does that make any sense?)
      Practice on something small, a curb will work fine, practice at all different speeds and note the different results, then step up to something bigger. Out on the trail high speed is not always an option so knowing how much lift to get on the front end at slower speeds only comes with experience and getting to know the balance of your bike.
      Practice man, practice.
      😃

AK Dan’s Avatar shows good form for doing exactly what you want to do. I could not have verbalized it as well as he or Mongoose have. I think about riding off curbs and stuff when I was 7 on my bmx bike – same technique.

Hmm well i seem to recall when i was starting off riding and building my skills i would practice doing bunny hops and trying to land on both tires at the same time…This could be done in a safe place like a parking lot…

But both Mongoose and Dan have very valid points. The seat height is critical specially when going off a drop and you go to slow….There will be that sick in the stomach feeling when your seat pushes you forward as the front wheels drop, and over the bars you go (which is bad)..With the seat lower it will allow you to (with momentum) clear the drop and move your weight behind the seat while maintaining the bike parallel with the drop off, don’t let the front end drop (your done for if you do that)..Basically you want to have the bike land nearly parallel with the slope.

Hope this helps and good luck. Don’t let an off discourage your enjoyment of the trails.

Man trying to do manuals was a pain. After high recommendations from many riders I picked up this book and learned A LOT.
      http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mountai … 943&sr=8-1

Jerkin on those handle bars is not going to get that front tire up. You need to shift your weight a little forward and then slam your weight rearwards and push your feet forward/straighten your legs. Do this too hard and you will loop the bike out from under you, tap the rear brake to stop it. Practice this in a safe spot until you are comfortable with this.
      Going off of a drop you will do this to a lesser extent but you get the idea.

Get the book! Its full of great little nuggets of wisdom. Off all of the equipment I have bought this book has improved my riding the most.

Yeah 12 ft no thanks i have a broken clavicle that is telling me NO!….the 7…..ummmmmmm maybe….But i need a better bike…I don’t think my rig can do it without killing something….But its great to see people building down there…Up here the closest thing we have is Blue Mountain and it has some progressive jumps up to about 8 foot..I plan on going with my armor this year and rent a bike…..They use Norco A-line’s

"Mongoose" wrote

Hey CR, you can always come on out to the Fruit Trail and try it out on the 7′ drop in the freeride area or the new 12′ drop they are building out on the west loop. 😄

I am always looking for a freeride partner to ride with! 😃

One day bro! One day! I have a problem though. I am going to have to learn the ancient bujinkan feather drop technique so the hifi would survive. OR figure out how to smuggle a mullet or Opie into the house ;)

Try to find a place that has two stairs that you can drop off. Ride towards them with a little bit of speed. Right before you go off, drop your body lower and back a little behind the seat and push the bike forward a bit at the same time. You don’t actually pull up when you do drops. If you do, you run the risk of landing on the rear wheel first, then slamming the front wheel down after. That results in a ton of weight being transferred from back to front and can result in a theatric "over the bars" experience.

this site answered a lot of my questions about technique. you might find it helpful.

[url:3edei4wg]http://mtnbiketips.blogspot.com[/url:3edei4wg]

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.