Kona Coiler drive train 1x hack

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Kona Coiler drive train 1x hack

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hey folks

I’m doing a refurb of an old Kona Coiler I have for a friends son to ride and I’m thinking about whether to / how to do a 1×10/11 set up on it. It has a shimano FH M475 hub so no problem there and getting a narrow wide chain ring won’t be an issue either although tempted not to bother as the old middle ring is 32t. Could just buy a chain guard or just use old front mech instead. Not got much budget on this project.

The problem I have is the hanger doesn’t seem to want to fit the more modern spare shimano xt deraillleur I have. Hangers seem to be a bit of a weird science to me. Anyone got any ideas what I need? the original derailleur is a shimano deore LX circa 2004.

Im toying with leaving the 9 speed cassette and original derailleur on but the biggest sprocket on the cassette is a 32t so would make climbing pretty impossible!

I have a Coilair myself from 2012. Since the bike does have some age to it, I believe you are stuck with the type of hanger you have and will need to find a derailleur that fits the hanger.

You can fit a 10 speed cassette on the bike.

I have used the front derailleur as a chain guard on other buke conversion and it worked out good for me. The narrow/wide will help bout you can still lose your chain if you get into some high speed rock gardens or jumps

Since you want to go 1×10 you may want to consider an oval narrow/wide chain ring Since your cassette can’t get much bigger the oval will help you a bit on power with your downward pedal cycle.

Edrhart,

RD hangers have changed very little over the years. Back out the “b” bolt and try again. As for chain retention, a clutched RD is the answer. They have far more spring tension than non clutched RD’s, in addition, the clutch tends to maintain chain tension and eliminate chain slap that we all know too well.

What range is the cassette? 36-11 for instance nets a below 1:1 ratio in the lowest end of range. Climbing is hardly impossible with the later wide range stuff. To the LBS and check their bins for used 10 speed stuff that can be had on the cheap! People think they have to buy into the latest to attain “Unicorn” status and discard the 10 speed stuff for 11 or 12 at an alarming rate!

Climbing with my one speed automatic works and usually a geared rider is what is being passed on the ascent. My one speed automatic has a ratio of 2.2:1 so, not extremely short gears but not excessively tall either. Since I spin a stupid high cadence on the open flats, I can easily taunt a roadie on a bike path! It ends to piss em off being passed by a singlespeed steel plusser!

Again, LBS’s takeoff bins are a treasure trove of 10 speed parts! At silly low prices, bonus!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.