KHS Bikes ?????????????

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

OK I just got picked up by my first MTB team, this is going to be my first year on one and my first year racing. I will be riding for a shop supported team. One of the bikes this place sell is KHS. I don’t really know much about this brand I read a bunch of reviews and found mostly Good ones. the ones that were bad were from guys who have ridden higher end bikes. What are you guys thoughts on that brand. I will be looking at Hardtails at this point and time.

I am looking the Alite Team and Alite 3000

If your just going to say they suck that does me no good. Tell me why they suck or why they are great.thanks

KHS is by no means a crappy brand…. It just depends a lot on which of their bikes you’re riding. For instance, the AM series has been discontinued for ’08, which was a full-susser 6" rig. It had complaints about flex in the rocker-linkage, and their component spec on their XC full-suspension bikes is on average sub-par when compared to other manufacturer’s bikes in the same price-bracket.
      Their DH bike and ‘cross bikes have been successful, however.

With the Alite series, I see no reason why you can’t win on an Alite Team or Alite 3000 as-is.
      But…. There’s definitely room for improvement with their components, and if you’re racing, don’t compromise on gear.
      For the sake of argument, I’ll say you’ve got an Alite Team.

Upgrade the rear derailleur and shifters to SRAM XO.

Upgrade the front derailleur to a Shimano XT at the least.

Get rid of the Truvativ Stylo and bottom-bracket. Upgrade to a RaceFace Deus crankset, and an RC X-type bottom-bracket. Seriously light and strong aluminum cranks, and smooth BB action.

Ditch the Avid brakes, and get some Magura Martas. They’re lighter, and have just as much stopping power.

The Sun Flea rims aren’t the lightest, but they’re not bad. For racing, an American Classic wheelset and matching seatpost would give you strength and reliability, all in a light package.

I’ve never been a big fan of the Sid fork…. I’ve always felt that if you’re riding with a Sid, you might as well be on a rigid fork. A Marzocchi Corsa or DTSwiss XRC fork would give you squish, but in an energy-efficient way…..

And WTB Weirwolf’s aren’t good XC race tires. Try some Bontrager JonesXC’s or Continental Vapor 2.1’s. The Conti Vapor’s roll extremely fast on groomed singletrack and loamy, moist dirt, plus they grab nicely on roots and rocks, and are durable. The Bontrager’s are the same way, but handle dry conditions better. Only if you’re going to be racing in the mud/wet, would I suggest the Weirwolf.

So….

There’s nothing wrong with the KHS Alite itself. I’ve never heard of a KHS frame failing or seen one that has been poorly welded. If you’ve got team support, get the best bits for your bike, and roll with it.

I saw you did a story on carbon in MTB, so what can you tell me about the Carbon Fusion frame VS there DB Alloy AN6 Super Lite Frame from them. I can buy the Frame set and piece them together from there has well. Which I have thought about doing.(Due to a good discount)

O and thanks for maybe the best answer I have ever got in the way of thought-outness. lol Is that a word lol. 😃

I got some info on this frame. I think I may be giving the Alite 3000 a try for the 2008 race season. Now just to come up with the money lol 😮

Good luck with that Alite, and make sure you get a couple component goodies for Christmas to go with the bike itself. 😼

Since you asked, DB Alloy AN6 means "Double-butted Aluminum alloy series AN6".

I found this on Bikeforums.net:

[i:21r5qif9]"AN6 is a 6000 series of alumium, most modern bike frame aluminium is 7000 series. A good webisite to check out for the history of this technology is Columbus in Italy. The main site is being updated right now, still you can download a ".pdf" on Aluminum tubes and components — while the site itself is mostly down. http://www.columbustubi.com/. Most of this is in Italian, but look on the left and you will see paragraphs in English.

In short, the original AL race frames of the 1970s were way too flexible. The first generation of truly rideable tubes was called Altec by Columbus. It was AL mixed with only magnesium. Next came Altec2, which is AL with magnesium and zinc. The state of the art today is called "starship" by Columbus and it’s AL mixed with magnisium and silicon. Each improvement added both tensile strength and greater elasticity (how far the tube will bend without recovering — returning to original shape). Starship can bend 14% before it permanently deforms, the original AL tubes only would bend 7%. Big improvement. Other tube companies have their own names for these. 7000 series and 6000 series generally refers to the grade of AL being used. These generally relate to the corrosion properties weight. But it is what the tube company does with the grade of AL that makes all the difference… what is added, how the tubes are designed and how the final product is cured and welded."[/i:21r5qif9]

That’s funny…. they don’t have a carbon MTB listed on their website for ’08.

Yes they do have a Carbon Fusion Frame in there MTB Frames it is new for 2008. The team I ride for, we get really good factory support from KHS so if there is any problem they will be taken care of it very quickly for me. Here is a link to there site.
      [url:28abs4d9]http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_3000_08.htm[/url:28abs4d9]

Gotcha. I was looking at the Alite Team. 😳

the alite Team frame weights about 3 lbs, and the Alite 3000 3.4, but is suppose to be a little stiffer because of the carbon being used.

I order the bike not that long ago just waiting for it to come off the boat. This is going to be a very nice rig for me and I can not wait to whip this thing around on some singletrack. I got really packed race season.Is anyone coming to any of these races???

[color=orange:3cn0gg09]Orange[/color:3cn0gg09]- is Maybe
      [color=blue:3cn0gg09]Blue[/color:3cn0gg09]- Doing
      [color=olive:3cn0gg09]Olive[/color:3cn0gg09]-Depends on Carpool and money and who is going

[color=blue:3cn0gg09]4/13/2008Tailwinds TIME TRIAL SERIES 1 PONTIAC LAKE
      4/20/2008 Yankee Springs Western Chapter Benefit – TT
      4/27/2008 Tailwinds XC MTB Race Bloomer
      5/4/2008 Fort Custer Southwest Chapter Benefit – XC
      5/17/2008 6/12 Hours of Addison Oaks( IM going SOLO)[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=olive:3cn0gg09]6/1/2008 Hanson Hills Challenge – XC[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=blue:3cn0gg09]6/28/2008 Tailwinds MARATHON XC – USAC SERIES 4 STONY CREEK metore park[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=olive:3cn0gg09]7/12/2008 Boyne Challenge – Marathon XC (DOUBLE POINTS)[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=orange:3cn0gg09]7/17/2008 Tailwinds TIME TRIAL SERIES 5 Ft Custer[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=blue:3cn0gg09]7/20/2008 Tailwinds XC MTB Race Ruby Campground
      7/27/2008 Stony Creek – TT[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=orange:3cn0gg09]8/16/2008 6/12 Hours of Pando[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=blue:3cn0gg09]8/23/2008 Maybury Metro South Chapter Benefit – XC
      9/21/2008 Addison Oaks Metro North Chapter Benefit – XC[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=olive:3cn0gg09]9/28/2008 Pando Challenge – XC [/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=orange:3cn0gg09]10/4/2008 Michigan Downhill MTB State Championship[/color:3cn0gg09]
      [color=blue:3cn0gg09]11/8/2008 Iceman Cometh[/color:3cn0gg09]

O yeah I got into Iceman 😛

my friend got a khs about a year and a hlf ago and it has yet to breake except for a few flat tires 😃

well I thought I would update a few things here. First is the bike. I am in love with this frame. I handles like dream and fits me so well. It can take a 3 foot drop every now and again, but is not made for that. I was forced to during a race long story. 😠 It hooks up so well in the corners and has given me even more confidence to hold more speed going into corners, which in turn does make you faster. 😃 Now I just got to find a tire that hooks up a little better. 😛 I think this is great buy for someone looking to get a race XC bike. When you get it out of the box tho is is set up pretty relax. But after some playing around with the set up I got it right now. I took off the spacers and had to cut the steer tube a little more. I just love this bike, and it loves me. 😛

Now for the other update. I listed the races I was going to do on this post so here is the update for that.

4/13/2008Tailwinds TIME TRIAL SERIES 1 PONTIAC LAKE
      I got Second place it was muddy mess

4/20/2008 Yankee Springs Western Chapter Benefit – TT
      I got 8th here I didn’t drink enough the days leading up

4/27/2008 Tailwinds XC MTB Race Bloomer

I got 1st here that is the hardest loop I have ever rode in that park, the guy that laid out the loop did a great job I love every min of the pain.

5/4/2008 Fort Custer Southwest Chapter Benefit – XC
      I love this trail wished I would have pre-rode I would have pushed hard in the flats very few hills.I got 3rd.

5/17/2008 6/12 Hours of Addison Oaks( IM going SOLO)
      This was my first endurance race, three hours in I wondered why the hell I signed up. lol But I ended up getting third.

6/1/2008 Hanson Hills Challenge – XC
      I got food poisoning three days before I had to leave to go to this race. 😠 That really hurt me in the standing I was in second but it droped me to third in CPS overall.

How I stand in the Series:

MMBA CPS:
      3rd overall but should make up some ground in my class due to my team mate who is in first is not going to the next race which is a double points race.

USAC Mtn XC Series:
      1st place next race is next Saturday should be a tough one.

MTB Time Trial Series:
      3rd I didn’t go to the two on the west side of the state I need to rest and not get burned out. I will more then likely be first at the end of the year tho.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.