Kalispell MTBer quickly rising to sport’s heights

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Rose Grant wasn’t sure what to expect last spring when she resumed mountain bike racing after a 10-year hiatus.

She fared well in junior races when she was in high school, but at age 28 and with no high-level experience, she tempered her expectations.

“I’d look at the competition and pick out a girl that looked really fit and fast and say, I’m just going to try to stay on her wheel,” Grant said. “Then the race would start and I’m like, where did she go?”

Grant surprised herself by often leading the pack during her first season as a competitive mountain bike racer. Competing in Category 1, the highest level of amateur cycling in the United States, Grant dominated her local races and took first place in her age group at the USA Cycling nationals in both the cross-country and marathon distances, despite lacking a structured training program.

Now 29, Grant upgraded to pro status this year and competed in three national races against the best mountain bike racers in the country. She placed sixth at professional races in Colorado Springs and Missoula, and took 13th at the national championships in early July.

Read more here: http://www.dailyinterlake.com/sports/lo … f887a.html

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.