just started riding

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Hey people. I just bought my first mountain bike. Its a really good bike to start off since i bought it from walmart for around $120 and im pretty much new to mountain biking. Its a NEXT brand. Within the next month or so im thinking of upgrading to a better bike even though i like the one i got now. And i use it almost daily on some rocky trails and moderate downhills. Im on a budget of around $450. any help on which bike i should get?

For someone in your shoes I’d suggest you ride what you’ve got until you either break it or figure out what [i:2np9r37i]more or different[/i:2np9r37i] you want out of your next ride. It may turn out that you love the style of bike you currently have and simply want one that will withstand the constant beating that mtb riding puts on it. You never know, you may be one of the lucky few that finds a cheap bike that they really like that actually holds up to some regular riding.

well. good point there. i might just ride it until it breaks.

I would take the advice the others are giving and ride until the bike breaks or you are ready to move up to something different. I purchased a Specialized Hardrock HT about 15 years ago (not knowing what I was getting into at the time) and just recently upgraded to another bike – Trek 4 Series. I rode the Specialized for a long time and it is still ride ready; however, I upgraded because of the age of my bike and some of the wear and tear on the bike. Stay safe riding and enjoy the trails.

Gentryd1111
      TREK 4 Series 2009
      Specialized Hardrock HT 1996

There are a few guys on the forum who started with Wal-Mart bikes and have upgraded the hell out of them. Replaced every component. It may be easier to find a used bike. Craigslist works, but you need patience (to wait for a deal to pop up) and then speed (to jump on a deal that pops up).

I agree, If you already have a walmart bike, ride it until it breaks… but be careful. When it DOES break, upgrade to a mountain bike from a reputable brand that is made to take a regular beating.

PS If you’re interested, more info on buying your first mountain bike here: http://www.gregridestrails.com/2010/03/ … heres.html

thanks for the replies guys. i am starting to hit some good trails in austin tx. theyre not as hardcore as the trails in utah or colorado. but so far mi bike has stood up to the challenge. i never knew mountain biking was this fun. and healthy.

"newmtbrider" wrote

thanks for the replies guys. i am starting to hit some good trails in austin tx. theyre not as hardcore as the trails in utah or colorado. but so far mi bike has stood up to the challenge. i never knew mountain biking was this fun. and healthy.

Yeah dude, it’s a blast, and a great way to stay in shape! 😃

hech yes. ive lost a bit of weight in these two months of riding

When I first read your post I said "WHAT!!"..a Wal-Mart bike? Well, if it’s doing what it needs to on the trails you’re riding it on then keep it until you really do want to upgrade. I purchased an 2009 Specialized Hardrock XC with discs and it works great for me. It all depends on what you do. I mostly ride single track, out and back, fire roads, etc…not really doing downhill since I would need to upgrade to a more sturdy full suspension. Craigslist has some really good deals on there but you gotta catch them. I’ve found amazing deals on really good bikes from all over my area. Good luck and keep on riding!!

I bought a $120 Target mountainbike 15 years ago, and rode it for years, until I got a FS Mongoose (Walmart bike)
      Then the old Target bike became my wife’s / loaner bike and it’s still being used today.
      I recently got an 98 Trek 7000 hardtail that I fixed up and upgraded, and I love it. Sold the Mongoose. I’ve switched off to the old Target bike occasionally, and that old thing still rides pretty good. My friends are always borrowing it, and it’s never given us problems.
      I will say that typical department store bikes today don’t seem to be made as tough as they were 10-15 years ago though.
      As others have said, ride it until it breaks, or a deal comes along that’s too good to pass up.
      You’re out there having fun and getting fit… That’s what it’s all about.

My friend. Let’s just think a minute: If you ride it until it breaks, what happens to you, the rider? Do you crash? End up in the hospital? Or, is there some magical way in which you know in advance the bike will break? Anyone who tells you to ride the bike until it breaks is inviting your disaster. Rule #1: Ride a bike appropriate to your level and the terrain. If a mass-mart bike works for you, great. But make sure you look it over carefully before each ride, or you may be in for an unforgettable experience. If you plan to replace your bike by buying online, sight unseen, then you need to know about sizing, another point which no other reponder seems to recognize. A wrong-size bike is THE WRONG BIKE. Period. Finally, when you buy a new bike-shop bike, you get a manufacturer’s warranty, which has a lot of value. When you buy a bike used, that warranty is void. Something to consider. Welcome to the sport, and best of luck in your future riding.

Hey, the important thing is it gets you on the trails. Not a bad investment to see if you like the sport.

Those Next FS bikes are HEAVY, I bought one as a hunting bike several years ago. Got into trail riding and was constantly fixing the thing. Start stashing some duckets away for your next bike and keep an eye on craigs list. If you see anything interesting post it up here, these guys love to talk bikes 😀.

Yea… I neglected to mention my concern about it breaking and sending me to the hospital…
      Hence, no major jumps or drops, and I kept the downhill speeds down…
      I was glad to get the Trek rideable, and it’s a night and day difference between the two. The Trek rode nicer the first time out without much twaeking… As I’ve ridden it and adjusted it, it’s only gotten better.
      So ride with some common sense, and take it easy on it. It should survive most newbie type riding.

WELL. SO FAR ITS BEEN RIDING GREAT. I TOOK IT TO A BIKE SHOP AND UPGRADED SOME OF THE COMPONENTS AND HAD EVERYTHING ADJUSTED RIGHT AND ITS BEEN RIDING WAY BETTER THAN WHEN IT WAS NEW. THEY SAID THE BIKE WAS OK FOR ME SINCE I JUST STARTED. ITS THE PEOPLE WHO PUT TOGETHER THE BIKES AT DEPARTMENT STORES THAT DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEYRE DOING. IM LOVING THIS SPORT MORE AND MORE AS I PROGRESS. BAD THING IS THAT HOUSTON DOES NOT REALLY HAVE THAT MUCH OF A CHALLENGE REGARDING TRAILS. THE TRAILS IN AUSTIN ARE GREAT.

thanks a lot bro. and youre right. people get hurt no matter the brand of the bike.

"newmtbrider" wrote

thanks a lot bro. and youre right. people get hurt no matter the brand of the bike.

ain’t that the truth

thats the truth. time to hit the trails again.

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.