Just picked up my first loaner bike

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

I picked up K2 Zed 3.2 for $200 from a buddy who needed some cash and he knew I was in the market for a loaner bike. I was wondering for those of you that have loaner bikes, do you upgrade them or do you not worry about it seeing as they are just loaner bikes.

Here are the specs for the K2:

TekTro Iox disc brakes
      Sram x-4 shifters
      Sram 3.0 rear derailleur
      Sram front derailleur (it just says SRAM on it, no numbers)
      26” Kenda Klaw XT tires
      SR SUNTOUR XCT V2 forks
      Cane Creek VP A42E headset
      Frame is 6061 heat treated aluminum

upgrade your main ride, then take the old parts from that and upgrade the loaner 😎

My loaner is an old Target mountainbike… Heavy as hell, but tough as nails.
      It survived 2-3 years of me riding it on hard trails, so I figure it’ll handle a newbie who’s carefull and rides slow. It’s been used a dozen times this summer already with no issues besides needing the shifters adjusted occasionally.
      I figure if my friends enjoy it enough, they’ll start looking to get their own bike soon.

my loaner bike is a "next" that was my g/f’s and Im gonna spray it matte black. its a sled. Im upgrading my Haro now so my g/f will a have a nice bike once I buy a newer bike in the next 5-6 months.

My father in-law already put it to good use today. We hit up the Rosaryville State Park today. Funny story, it was his first time ever on a singletrack. He is in his late 40’s and did very well. He kept up about 80% of the time (I lost him on some climbs). The last leg of the trail there is a downhill littered with loose gravel. As we were desesending I was telling to be carefull and splat…my front tire comes out from underneath me, I fly into the embankment and my bike goes off the side of the trail. I ended up bending my handle bars and putting some new scratches on her . So on the way home I stopped at my LBS and picked up a new handle bar.

"jkneivel" wrote

…As we were desesending I was telling to be carefull and splat…my front tire comes out from underneath me, I fly into the embankment and my bike goes off the side of the trail. I ended up bending my handle bars and putting some new scratches on her ….

Classic! That’s one of a few reasons I keep my mouth shut when riding with the wife:)

I have to make a conscious effort to not look behind me to check on the newbies… That’s usually when my barend smacks a tree, or when I almost go off the side of the trail…

"INDIANADAVE" wrote

I have to make a conscious effort to not look behind me to check on the newbies… That’s usually when my barend smacks a tree, or when I almost go off the side of the trail…

When my wife joins me on the trails I don’t look back to see if she is okay. I just listen for any screams 😆 . It is all good though, gave me a reason to upgrade my stem and handlebars.

it sucks to see your wife fall on a downhill. this happened to me last week.

"newmtbrider" wrote

it sucks to see your wife fall on a downhill. this happened to me last week.

Yea it does. My wife had a pretty good crash a few trips ago. I had to give credit though, she got right back on the saddle and finished the trail.

If you’re going to loan the bike out, the only thing I would suggest upgrading are those TekTros. Had a pair on my Iron Horse, which is my loaner now, and I could never get those damn things to work reliably. Considering some one is riding my equipment I feel they should be able to stop safely, especially if they are green to the sport. Some Avid BB7s and you’ll be in good shape for relatively low money.

"CodeRage" wrote

If you’re going to loan the bike out, the only thing I would suggest upgrading are those TekTros. Had a pair on my Iron Horse, which is my loaner now, and I could never get those damn things to work reliably. Considering some one is riding my equipment I feel they should be able to stop safely, especially if they are green to the sport. Some Avid BB7s and you’ll be in good shape for relatively low money.

Depending on the cost I might do that. However, I am currently saving money up to upgrade my front suspension on my Jamis. I golf as well and here I am thinking golf was an expensive sport. Thanks for the advice and I will check the brakes before each ride to ensure my loaner bike does not kill anybody.

I wasn’t trying to come off condescending, and I don’t think you took it that way either but just in case ;) I just remember hating those brakes with a passion. I have no doubts you maintain your equipment well.

I love to golf too, I have more fun shootin the shiz versus playing well but playing well makes it a bit better. I kind of look at mtb’ing as paying all your green fees for the next 2 years in one shot 😀

"CodeRage" wrote

I wasn’t trying to come off condescending, and I don’t think you took it that way either but just in case ;) I just remember hating those brakes with a passion. I have no doubts you maintain your equipment well.

I love to golf too, I have more fun shootin the shiz versus playing well but playing well makes it a bit better. I kind of look at mtb’ing as paying all your green fees for the next 2 years in one shot 😀

I still consider myself a noob and I will take any advice I can get. For example, there is skinny with a 3 foot drop off on a trail that I ride quite often. I normally take the path around it. I want to try it so bad, but every time I get ready to go I get the bubble guts and I chicken out .

I have not golfed in a few months cause of mtb’ing. Thinking postive, I have dropped weight since I started mtb’ing.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.