Just be nice…

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author

How come their are so many riders that act like they’re so much better than everyone else? It seams that their are less and less that are friendly and helpful.

I think this will come with any hobby/sport. When my friends and I ride, we try our best to be friendly with everyone, but I know what you mean – some people can be outright rude. It used to just be a lot of good people. I think now-a-days people are more and more afraid of strangers. Maybe its the image that we get from watching too much TV? You never know when you might try to help someone and they turn out to be there to harm you. But it seems like you would be one of those nice people, so please, don’t change – I know I will stay nice to everyone I meet.

"vKAOSv" wrote

How come their are so many riders that act like they’re so much better than everyone else? It seams that their are less and less that are friendly and helpful.

Hmmmm. . .
      Hasn’t been my experience at all.

Overall, I would expect mountain bikers, like any other subset of society, to exhibit a full bell curve of friendliness with some real jerks on one the left side and some real sweethearts on the right side and most falling somewhere in the middle. However, if I were to graph the folks I’ve met in the sport, the curve would be heavily skewed to the right 😃

I think it comes down to a sense of entitlement. The guys riding the $5000 bikes in $2000 outfits who think they have bought the right to ride right over anyone and anything that comes across their path as they suck down $10 gel packs thinking it makes them into superman. Meanwhile back at the trail head their stick figure family, my child is awesome, Obama/Romney, circle with some letters bumper stickered Range Rover is double parked with their dog locked up inside begging me to bust the window and let him out.

These people are just assholes no matter what they do, whether it be biking, driving, parking, dining, raising their children… They have been programmed to be total pricks and have no empathy for their fellow man. I own my own business (I am a luthier) and I refuse service to all these people and I love the look on their faces when they can’t just buy me, yet some lowly broke kid who has the PASSION comes in and gets treated like royalty right in front of their stuck up noses!

Whenever I meet them on the trail, I can’t help but shake my head. Always bitching and complaining, I NEVER see these people have any FUN! A couple weeks ago on a short loop track (less than 2 miles) I had a pair lap me twice as I played on the one technical-ish section of the trail over and over. On the third pass they actually told me they though it was time I moved along as they were trying to get in some "serious training" and I was impeding their pace out there "playing around", like me playing on the one fun section of trail and having a good time was a bad thing. I just smiled at them, told them , "No thanks!", hopped back on my bike and kept hitting the same 200 yard section for another hour or so. Why they weren’t on a larger network of trails if they wanted to get some serious endurance training is beyond me, and not my problem. I ride for two reasons, exercise and fun, and not necessarily in that order.

CP1

Not to offend anyone here, however, I can totally relate with you vKAOSv. A lot of riders (MTBR’s) have become that snooty or snobby attitude that most rode riders have. I have clearly noticed a up trend of this rude and obnoxious behavior displayed by more and more riders on the trails. It is by far old and annoying to deal with these people, but I just ignore them and move on, though i am still polite to them, I just move on and let it go… 😆 Not worth the time spent on these over egos. I have found a better dealings with freeriders than a good portion of MTBR’s in general. All in all, there are a bunch of great guys and gals out there on the trails, but there are these snooty snobs with serious ego issues. I love the ones who think they are far superior to you because their bike weighs less or a more expensive brand or components than yours. Those just make me laugh…. 😆

I am always very kind to people until they are a**holes, but even then I do my best to be polite to them as well, even when they try to or actually do run you off the trail because you may be going slower than them (and I am not speaking of while descending or ascending, just flat out trail).

However vKAOSv , this is the norm of the world in general these days, it is not just on a bike, it is everywhere. People have become so damned rude, obnoxious, and petty. All walks of life brother! 😉

CP1
      "musikron" wrote

I think it comes down to a sense of entitlement. The guys riding the $5000 bikes in $2000 outfits who think they have bought the right to ride right over anyone and anything that comes across their path as they suck down $10 gel packs thinking it makes them into superman. Meanwhile back at the trail head their stick figure family, my child is awesome, Obama/Romney, circle with some letters bumper stickered Range Rover is double parked with their dog locked up inside begging me to bust the window and let him out.

These people are just assholes no matter what they do, whether it be biking, driving, parking, dining, raising their children… They have been programmed to be total pricks and have no empathy for their fellow man. I own my own business (I am a luthier) and I refuse service to all these people and I love the look on their faces when they can’t just buy me, yet some lowly broke kid who has the PASSION comes in and gets treated like royalty right in front of their stuck up noses!

Whenever I meet them on the trail, I can’t help but shake my head. Always bitching and complaining, I NEVER see these people have any FUN! A couple weeks ago on a short loop track (less than 2 miles) I had a pair lap me twice as I played on the one technical-ish section of the trail over and over. On the third pass they actually told me they though it was time I moved along as they were trying to get in some "serious training" and I was impeding their pace out there "playing around", like me playing on the one fun section of trail and having a good time was a bad thing. I just smiled at them, told them , "No thanks!", hopped back on my bike and kept hitting the same 200 yard section for another hour or so. Why they weren’t on a larger network of trails if they wanted to get some serious endurance training is beyond me, and not my problem. I ride for two reasons, exercise and fun, and not necessarily in that order.

^^^ 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

So true, so very true!

Wow. I completely disagree with every post on this page except Skibums. I’ve been at this sport for a little over a year. I can tell you one of the most amazing things I have ever seen is how the fellow MTB’r. Will always stop when they see someone who looks in trouble or with mechanical issues. Every time without fail the peeps in my area will stop and offer help..and I do the same because of it. I don’t know where you guys ride one might be from from GA but I just don’t see anything like you describe. Ever.

For the record 99 cent gel packs absolutely make me into Superman. That is a fact.

Get over yourself ya bunch of whiners..

"Spartan" wrote

Wow. I completely disagree with every post on this page except Skibums. I’ve been at this sport for a little over a year. I can tell you one of the most amazing things I have ever seen is how the fellow MTB’r. Will always stop when they see someone who looks in trouble or with mechanical issues. Every time without fail the peeps in my area will stop and offer help..and I do the same because of it. I don’t know where you guys ride one might be from from GA but I just don’t see anything like you describe. Ever.

For the record 99 cent gel packs absolutely make me into Superman. That is a fact.

Get over yourself ya bunch of whiners..

It warms my soul that you are able to disagree with everyone, myself included. I hope that your encounters continue to go well and that the dak side of the world never shows itself to you in the form of a rude MTN bike rider. (no sarcasm intended)

Got to go with Skibum, have not even met one bad guy on the trails. I ride several times a week and have had riders give me good advice and encouragement, not one …hole. It was a rider who turned me on to this site, and have had a couple really good riders take the time to help me learn new skills. I ride a nice bike but not a real high end bike and have never owned a bike specific outfit- not sure how you could spend $2,000 on an outfit. Not to mention all the great help on this site! People seem to want to help other riders achieve their goals.

CP1
      "Spartan" wrote

1) Wow. I completely disagree with every post on this page except Skibums.

2) I’ve been at this sport for a little over a year.

3) Get over yourself ya bunch of whiners..

1) That is your prerogative just as our opinion is our prerogative as well.

2) I personally have been in this sport way way longer (many years) than you among others riders here with their own opinion.

3) Your attitude/demeanor with your closing comment reminds me of just the same sorts of riders/people we are speaking of. Get over it yourself Spartan… 😉 😆 😆 😆 I have seen your negative attitude here in the forums more than once.

Yes, there are some real cool riders out there, and I have met many more than you ever have, but that is changing, no matter where you ride (especially just GA), people are becoming more and more rude, obnoxious, and petty. Simply put!! 😉

Just as vKAOSv originally posted…."Just be nice!"……Cheers!

"Spartan" wrote

Hear hear. While there’s one or two rotten apples in any bushel, in my experience mountain bikers are, on average, much more laid back, caring, and welcoming to their fellow trail users than the average person in the world today. I do think there is a little bit of a difference depending on where you’re riding, though: the crowded suburban trails seem to have more jerks than the wilderness trails where you might only meet one person during your entire ride, but even on the crowded suburban singletrack I think that most mountain bikers are a good lot.

This is just one of the many reasons that I am happy to count myself a mountain biker.

Also, where are you getting gel packs for only 99 cents? must EAT MOR GU

Hear hear. While there’s one or two rotten apples in any bushel, in my experience mountain bikers are, on average, much more laid back, caring, and welcoming to their fellow trail users than the average person in the world today. I do think there is a little bit of a difference depending on where you’re riding, though: the crowded suburban trails seem to have more jerks than the wilderness trails where you might only meet one person during your entire ride, but even on the crowded suburban singletrack I think that most mountain bikers are a good lot. "Mtbgreg1 quote"

I guess that’s what I should have said… I didn’t mean for this to get heated… Wow..! Atleast you guys know what I’m talking about.

"CP1" wrote

but that is changing, no matter where you ride

So, you have ridden everywhere in the country?

Out here most riders are pretty cool, with the exception of the occasional Strava junkie.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Also, where are you getting gel packs for only 99 cents? must EAT MOR GU

If you buy 12 at a time from REI, they take off, I think, 25%. You can also score deals if you buy a whole box at Performance during their various sales.

But …

You have Tailwind, you don’t need Gu anymore. 😎

CP1
      "maddslacker" wrote

[quote="CP1":1jnupgvf]but that is changing, no matter where you ride

So, you have ridden everywhere in the country?[/quote:1jnupgvf]
      Yes, I have rode in many different places around this country and a few overseas, and nothing changes about people in general, being riders or not. However, I will say that people overseas tend to be much politer, friendlier, and much less abrasive as people hear in the States. 😉

Thank you and cheers!

I have been MTB’ing for a little more than 2 years, so I do not have a lifetime of experience. However, in the time I have been riding (mostly around the SE), I brag to my wife about how nice and helpful riders are. I come from other competive sports (football, soccer, tennis etc) and riders are a lot nicer, IMO.

It does not matter if I am riding by myself or with my family of 5, I have not experienced any negativity around the MTB’ing scene.

With that said, I do think that we as a society have gotten so narcissistic, that we quit caring about others in general.

I would challenge those of you that have the bad experiences, to go out of way and kill them with kindness. It could change that person interaction of others on the next ride. Be the EXAMPLE!

Man, I’m sorry for being so harsh with my final quip.. (calling you whiners) I guess if you don’t have thick skin you’ll prob think everyone is mean to you on the trail or in life.. or maybe you just have an axe to grind. Weather it be towards the older generation of MTbr’s or towards the US. or whatev your agenda may be… I guess I just deal with zombies a bit different. If someone is rude in my presence or I disagree with someone. I will call you out right there on the spot and we can hash it out.. I guess thats why I jumped in on this chat. I have ridden trails in Miss, Bama, FLa, GA, TN and Mass.(I am a native Masshole living in GA 5 yrs) I have ridden some of the busiest trails in the S.East- Oak Mountain, Coldwater Mt, Blankets Creek, Alafai.. I just don’t see it like you guys do. You can moan about it in a chat room or you can confront the people that have no situational awareness out on the trail. Let them know they are not following bikers rules and etiquette. Chances are, they just don’t have a clue because nobody told them..In my experience most of these people are just clueless and need to have things explained to them.
      Sorry again for my extremely rude and offensive remark..(no sarcasm)

Gel packs on sale SPorts Authority all the time up by the register.. Only the nasty flavors are that cheap though..

"UltimateTherapy" wrote

I would challenge those of you that have the bad experiences, to go out of way and kill them with kindness. It could change that person interaction of others on the next ride. Be the EXAMPLE!

+1. Wise words.

I guess I just deal with zombies a bit different.

For this reference, please see Dirt Rag issue #166. There was an article on this same topic, and if you pick up issue #167 there were several response letters to that article that were published.

lol. Greg I think I ordered Dirt Rag based on your recommendation..many moons ago..

nice catch though.

"Spartan" wrote

lol. Greg I think I ordered Dirt Rag based on your recommendation..many moons ago..

nice catch though.

Haha awesome! So I take it you’re enjoying your subscription?

[quote="Spartan"] Chances are, they just don’t have a clue because nobody told them..In my experience most of these people are just clueless and need to have things explained to them.
      =quote]
      …and they very well may think we are the elitist. I recall when I first started riding not knowing that earbuds were frowned upon in the community (and I only rode with one ear plugged up), but had people glare at me at times. I observed all other rules-uphill has the right of way, yield to hikers, etc and couldnt figure out why…only to find out at my first SORBA meeting during a discussion that its a bad idea. Apparently some people were bombing at Dupont yelling at people to get out of their way with buds plugged in. Some of the "glarers" were there at that meeting, their gas-faces forever etched in my memory…and yes i just used a 3rd Bass reference-boom…but overall i concur, its a very caring, responsible, and casual community with a few outliers that do things wrong either out of ignorance or rebellion…ignorance can be fixed, rebellion is ingrained.

I don’t think its that I am too soft, or my skin isn’t thick enough. When I am riding a trail and a rider comes up behind me and yells "get the f*** out of the way", I take that as rude. It isn’t going to keep me from doing something I love doing and have been doing for almost 7 years now. Although I haven’t ridden as many times or as far as probably 90% of you, I have seen both sides. So that is my [i:c8pw8xja]opinion[/i:c8pw8xja]. Not stating facts, not trying to force it down your throat. Just saying. Glad its blissful for most of you, we are not all as blessed.

"nickrm" wrote

When I am riding a trail and a rider comes up behind me and yells "get the f*** out of the way", I take that as rude.

In 8 years of riding I have never had that happen. Not even once. Hikers on the other hand …

I’m on both sides of the fence here.

I live/work/ride in Northern VA: white collar mecca. This area is filled with middle aged d-bags who show up at the trail fully kitted out with more carbon and lycra than you can shake a stick at. Some of these guys are fast, rude, and obnoxious. Some of these guys completely lack skill and just get in the way. Some of these guys spend more time in the parking lot making adjustments to their bike than they spend actually riding the trail. BUT they are all mountain bikers so I respect that we have something in common and I respect them until I’m given a reason not to and that has only happened once. On a ride a few months back one of these spandex junkies cursed at my 13 year old brother who was “slowing him down”…I heard it happening behind me, my kid brother yelling back at the guy (I guess I taught him well) and then I had to have a few words with the guy myself. The worst thing about the situation was that the man was obviously much older than me, probably in his 40s, and he’s getting a tongue lashing by a 25 year old about how he needs to have a little respect for other riders yet alone, children on the trail. But that was the only time I’ve ever experienced a level of d-baggery on the trail that required an altercation.

I’ve met some great people at the trail head and have made great friendships. I played professional paintball in my teen years and that entire experience just taught me how much people suck. The experience and friendships were never as good as what I’ve experienced with mountain biking.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="nickrm":1wrawr4j]When I am riding a trail and a rider comes up behind me and yells "get the f*** out of the way", I take that as rude.

In 8 years of riding I have never had that happen. Not even once. Hikers on the other hand …[/quote:1wrawr4j]

I won’t judge the sport by the 0.01% of the rude people. I’m glad this has never happened to you. I will mostly agree that 99.99% of the people that ride are great, laid back people.

I couldn’t even tell you which trail this was on (was somewhere in the south since thats all I have been exposed to) but I won’t forget it happening.

On a better note – it never happened before and I haven’t run into a rude person since; I guess I am basing my opinion on that one person which isn’t totally fair, but eh, life isn’t fair either, is it?

Not sure where you guys are riding but I haven’t had any of these issues riding in San Diego and OC. We go out every saturday and ride someplace different each week. We also take 2-3 trips a year…last year going to Fruita, Sedona and Hurricane/Zion. The only issue/attitude I’ve ever experienced was from a 65-70 year old female hiker who wasn’t going to yield the trail at any cost. We had 6-7 riders stacked up behind her. When the trail finally forked, we went around her as she made some snide comment as we went by. Even then, we just said "have a nice day" as we went pedaled away.

"k2rider1964" wrote

Not sure where you guys are riding but I haven’t had any of these issues riding in San Diego and OC. We go out every saturday and ride someplace different each week. We also take 2-3 trips a year…last year going to Fruita, Sedona and Hurricane/Zion. The only issue/attitude I’ve ever experienced was from a 65-70 year old female hiker who wasn’t going to yield the trail at any cost. We had 6-7 riders stacked up behind her. When the trail finally forked, we went around her as she made some snide comment as we went by. Even then, we just said "have a nice day" as we went pedaled away.

All i can focus on is how jealous I am that you can go somewhere different each week. In LA we don’t have that kind of option, but a few trips a year is not out of the question.

Never had any issues with other riders, nothing but good vibes. I try to live by the golden rule (no matter what my ex’s say).

Very few times did I come across rude riders. When I did I felt they thought the trail was there personal race trail.

During the years I have always gave plenty of room when I have come up to families on the trail. To the point that I will give way, even when I have the right of way. These past months I have been riding with my family more and more. Pulling a trail-a-bike with my five year old. I really wish more riders would be kind and give way to families. I have come around corners and have almost been hit a few times. Pisses me and my wife off.

While I am at it. When trail running I have encounter numerous riders not yielding. Trail ethics does no apply to runners. Granted when I see them I do get off but there have been a few close calls. My wife was half way across a bridge when two rides came flying the other way. Seriously.

"jtorlando25" wrote

I’m on both sides of the fence here.

I live/work/ride in Northern VA: white collar mecca. This area is filled with middle aged d-bags who show up at the trail fully kitted out with more carbon and lycra than you can shake a stick at. Some of these guys are fast, rude, and obnoxious. Some of these guys completely lack skill and just get in the way. Some of these guys spend more time in the parking lot making adjustments to their bike than they spend actually riding the trail. BUT they are all mountain bikers so I respect that we have something in common and I respect them until I’m given a reason not to and that has only happened once. On a ride a few months back one of these spandex junkies cursed at my 13 year old brother who was “slowing him down”…I heard it happening behind me, my kid brother yelling back at the guy (I guess I taught him well) and then I had to have a few words with the guy myself. The worst thing about the situation was that the man was obviously much older than me, probably in his 40s, and he’s getting a tongue lashing by a 25 year old about how he needs to have a little respect for other riders yet alone, children on the trail. But that was the only time I’ve ever experienced a level of d-baggery on the trail that required an altercation.

I’ve met some great people at the trail head and have made great friendships. I played professional paintball in my teen years and that entire experience just taught me how much people suck. The experience and friendships were never as good as what I’ve experienced with mountain biking.

Don’t care how old he was, yelling at a kid gets you an ass kicking by a 25yr old! I’m 50 and give you permission to kick my old ass if I am ever rude to a child. A 40 yr old is more than capable of defendinding himself and plenty old enough to accept the consiquences of such poor behavior. Like I said before, never had a bad experience with a MTBer, but agree with Madslacker about hikers with a little attitude, nothing serious, just own the trail crap. You’re a better man then me to show such patience. Rock climbing had the spandex crew with attitude also, guess its everywhere. We seem to hav a low % in MTBing. Did not know about earphones, guess that proves the point about ignorance. Love music while I ride, sorry to hear it’s not cool.

Did not know about earphones, guess that proves the point about ignorance. Love music while I ride, sorry to hear it’s not cool.

Like everything, I believe there are good times to wear headphones and bad times. I believe there are a couple of old debates here on the forums on the topic but I can’t seem to find one at the moment.

I’m sure maddslacker can locate an old "music on the trail" thread somewhere…

Edit: here’s one (I’m sure there are more on here): viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4154&p=20051

"mtbgreg1" wrote
      Did not know about earphones, guess that proves the point about ignorance. Love music while I ride, sorry to hear it’s not cool.

Like everything, I believe there are good times to wear headphones and bad times. I believe there are a couple of old debates here on the forums on the topic but I can’t seem to find one at the moment.

Edit: here’s one (I’m sure there are more on here): viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4154&p=20051

I tried to bring an Ipod on a ride a long time ago and one of the members on this board (was going ride with me) jokingly called me rude. 😆

the only time i ever came across some real pricks was at my first mountain bike race. i went down and moved quickly to get me and my bike out of their way and then the third guy in line ran up and stepped on my bike and his leg hit my helmet as i grabbed for the bike. he couldnt wait one second i said damn dude i was tryin to get it out of the way and you step all over me he said sorry but idk if he truly was or maybe it was because we were in a race..i went down one more time this guy was much faster than me he stopped asked if i was alright then said stay on my back wheel although this was an older gentlemen and that can be the difference between someone that loves the sport and a young ego headed punk similar to the ones you see when playing on a sports team

"nickrm" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":f6hz04l0]

I tried to bring an Ipod on a ride a long time ago and one of the members on this board (was going ride with me) jokingly called me rude. 😆[/quote:f6hz04l0]

IMO, if you’re riding alone and are doing long distance and there are very few people around, then rolling with an Ipod is cool. But if you’re riding with a group of friends (or even just one other) it’s kind of rude and eliminates the possibility of conversation.

But again, that’s just my opinion. 😀

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="nickrm":l4y7f7mx]

I tried to bring an Ipod on a ride a long time ago and one of the members on this board (was going ride with me) jokingly called me rude. 😆

IMO, if you’re riding alone and are doing long distance and there are very few people around, then rolling with an Ipod is cool. But if you’re riding with a group of friends (or even just one other) it’s kind of rude and eliminates the possibility of conversation.

[/quote:l4y7f7mx]

Odd, you said it just like he did, yet you are not him! I agree with what you said as well.

"nickrm" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":16bq78kq]

Odd, you said it just like he did, yet you are not him! I agree with what you said as well.[/quote:16bq78kq]

Haha that’s pretty awesome!

On headphones if you go at a pretty good pace and don’t get passed much. I would say its ok as long as you keep watch for riders gaining to pass.. I was behind a guy once and I was so close to him I coul hear his music.. He had no clue I was behind him.. I was yelling and whistling.. No switchbacks where he could see me in his periphery… It was a long time on prob 10 mins. On some long flat simgletrack tht I like to bomb through …until I finally squirted him with my water bottle.. It worked and and it was hilarious.. We chatted for a bit It was his first time riding.. Good times!

Interesting discussion here ranging from meeting asswipes on the trails to riding with headphones.
      Just to weigh in on the headphone thing: I don’t ride or run with headphones (I do run with scissors however) because nature is awesome to listen to and that is one reason I’m on the trails. Plus my opinion is that not being able to hear approaching riders is dangerous. My opinion, perhaps not yours. People hiking with headphones can be an issue for riders but if we all slow down and give each other some space things usually work out.
      Now for the issue of asswipes on the trails. I have met a great number of interesting and friendly riders and they are still far in the majority. I have had people stop and make sure I’m ok when they find me wrapped around a tree. I have had trail side repair help from riders. Most folks will at least slow down and make sure everything is ok when passing a stopped rider. I always ask a stopped rider if they are ok. Stopping to offer assistance seems like paying it forward so to speak. Someone has stopped to help me in the past so I will stop and help you.
      I have only met two people who pissed me off. One guy literally ran me off the trail in a straight flat area by ramming my rear tire when I was still a newbie. Guess I was really f’ing-up his ride. If I had found him at the trailhead someone would have toted an ass whipping home that day. Probably me, he was a big dude. This other A-hole was yelling at his wife/girlfriend for several miles one day because she wasn’t going fast enough or in the wrong gear. He was a real dick. That seemed like a great way to ensure someone would hate MTBing.
      Sometimes when I speak to other riders if they don’t respond I just figure that they are way in the zone so no big deal.
      In closing I would say just ride on! Oh and if I hurt your feelings or you think I was talking about you, I probably was.

Come to think of it, I did witness some similar d-baggery on my last ride. Dude was constantly lokking down, shaking his head, rolling his eyes and exclaiming heavy sighs every time he stopped to wait for his SO. This was on the tougher stretch of Matthews Winters–steep, extended climb, plenty of rocks, tough trail.

Dude was riding a new, lightweight fully, his SO was on an early 90’s vintage steel HT with maybe 80mm of for, crappy knobbies and probably weighing in excess of 35 lbs. What a toad.

She was giving it her all despite obviously not enjoying it. She deserved better . . . much better.

I live in Miami and I thought that being a prick came with riding.. You aren’t a real rider till you are cursing people slower than you out, running them off the trail, and running over their children. Then I started riding all over the eastern United States and found that the @$$holes are usually exclusive to the big city’s. I just let them pass and keep riding. Not going to let them rain in my parade.

CP1
      "PSIME84" wrote

I live in Miami and I thought that being a prick came with riding.. You aren’t a real rider till you are cursing people slower than you out, running them off the trail, and running over their children. Then I started riding all over the eastern United States and found that the @$$holes are usually exclusive to the big city’s. I just let them pass and keep riding. Not going to let them rain in my parade.

^^^ 😆 😆 😆 😆

Exactly, they are just not worth the time or effort. However, if it is my children they are doing this to, and it has happened before, I take action then. 😄 I try to be very peaceful person to all and only wish to resolve things in a peaceful manner, but when you stoop to a level as to do these things to kids that are just trying to have a bit of fun, then that crosses a very fine line and needs action immediately. On one of our local trails, a guy hit a kid in the face because he was in his way. I the long run, he went to jail, and never was seen again, as numerous local riders were looking for him. One rider around New Years purposely ran my son off the trail behind me (and we were going pretty fast), and he rolled up behind me and tried that BS with me, and I laid him and his bike flat on the side of the trail when he tried that same BS on me. I stayed their and gave him a peace of my mind as he was getting up, but he cursed at me mumbling under his breath and then took off. Did not see him again on the trails that day or the next.

If he would have not done what he had done, and would have gave me a chance to move over a few feet ahead (small singletrack), and would not have done that to my son as well, then he could have passed on by and nothing would have incurred. People like that are a**holes and give this sport a real bad name, just like some of the stories above I have read.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, there are good people out there on the trail, and I know and have met so many, but there is always those a**holes out there on every trail, being a populated trail or not.

Stunned by some of these stories, never imagined anything like this happened on the trails. Got to agree with you guys, if someone rode one of my kids of the trail it would bring out the worst in me. If they tried it on me I would throw an elbow as it was happening. Aren’t these public places you are riding? I pass people who are slower than me with a friendly hello. and people who pass me seem to do the same. Sometimes I get good advice from them as they ride bye. Very disapointing to hear such negative Sh.. about MTBers.

I guess "you can’t fix stupid?" 😀

Sad reality is that some people are just not nice, and even in a subset of society (such as mountain bikers), we’ll see it. Many of the people I see on trails are from Massachusetts, and we’re not called "Massholes" for nothing. I’d say about 10% of the guys I see on trails (including the NEMBA riders) just aren’t that nice.

– Entitlement: "I can afford a matching kit and $3,000 bike, so I rule."
      – Impatient: "Get out of my way/ don’t make me wait up"
      – Strava: [i:1q2z8p7k]Definitely [/i:1q2z8p7k]seen some Strava poisoning in New England
      – Society: People are more narcicistic than ever

I try to be the nicest biker on the trail every time, and I love introducing newbies to the sport. I’ve got nothing but love for bikes, exercise, nature, and this awesome sport, but like anything, you’ll get bad apples. It’s like camping; camping people are some of the nicest in the world, but every campground has that guy in a class-A who wants you to be quiet while he runs his generator all night and glares at you when you walk around.

Just be nice to everyone. 😀 Hopefully it spreads!

CP1
      "Fitch" wrote

I guess "you can’t fix stupid?" 😀

Sad reality is that some people are just not nice, and even in a subset of society (such as mountain bikers), we’ll see it. Many of the people I see on trails are from Massachusetts, and we’re not called "Massholes" for nothing. I’d say about 10% of the guys I see on trails (including the NEMBA riders) just aren’t that nice.

– Strava: [i:1mlmojmw]Definitely [/i:1mlmojmw]seen some Strava poisoning in New England

I try to be the nicest biker on the trail every time, and I love introducing newbies to the sport. I’ve got nothing but love for bikes, exercise, nature, and this awesome sport, but like anything, you’ll get bad apples. It’s like camping; camping people are some of the nicest in the world, but every campground has that guy in a class-A who wants you to be quiet while he runs his generator all night and glares at you when you walk around.

Very well spoken words, and very wise words as well we all need to adhere to as well. This sums it all up here in these words above, and I could not state it or word it any better. 😉

Thanks ‘Fitch’! 😃

"CP1" wrote

[quote="Fitch":vn63xlv5]I guess "you can’t fix stupid?" 😀

– Strava: [i:vn63xlv5]Definitely [/i:vn63xlv5]seen some Strava poisoning in New England

Very well spoken words, and very wise words as well we all need to adhere to as well. This sums it all up here in these words above, and I could not state it or word it any better. 😉

Thanks ‘Fitch’! 😃[/quote:vn63xlv5]

Yes. Niceness – pay it foward. 😀

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="CP1":1vqu4cpb][quote="Fitch":1vqu4cpb]I guess "you can’t fix stupid?" 😀

– Strava: [i:1vqu4cpb]Definitely [/i:1vqu4cpb]seen some Strava poisoning in New England

Thanks ‘Fitch’! 😃[/quote:1vqu4cpb]

Yes. Niceness – pay it foward. 😀[/quote:1vqu4cpb]

Very wise indeed

"jtorlando25" wrote

I could not agree more. I’ve met more Grade A a-holes in paintball than any other part of society. Most tend to be of the younger variety, but you’d find a few choice ones that are "seasoned."

That said, there have also been players that would give you the shirt off their back…and the beer out of their fridge. 😆

I have found the MTB community here in St. Louis to be quite the friendly bunch of people. We have a couple of different groups and organizations that get together for group rides, trial maintenance, and just a good ole fashioned BBQ from time to time. Heck one of the groups even have a yearly MTB vacation that everyone who wants to can join in on.

I have encountered a very occasional rude person out on the trail but has been a pretty low number compared to the extremely friendly people.

I have encountered a very occasional rude person out on the trail but has been a pretty low number compared to the extremely friendly people.

That’s the people I was talkin about. I know that most of the MTN biking peeps are awesome….

"vKAOSv" wrote

That’s the people I was talkin about. I know that most of the MTN biking peeps are awesome….

Well, you are going to run into that no matter what hobby you decide to participate in. Some people just think that they are better then everyone else. But just remember that they are almost alwasy the ones that are riding or doing what ever else they do. Truthfully I feel sorry for those people, I would not want to have no friends to enjoy my hobbies with!

Viewing 49 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.