just a quick question

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am relatively new to mountain biking, bought a cannondale f4 brand new from the local bike store a few weeks ago, and i have a few questions.

1) I am a pretty big guy, about 6 feet 215 lbs; I keep my seat low because it feels like i get more drive that way with my powerful legs, but i feel cramped at times, as well. The sales man at the bike store gave me a good bike for my frame but i am just wondering about seat height. How high should i put it…as in relation to the bend of my knee when i am pedaling.

2) I also have a problem with my pedals feeling a bit low. It feels like when i pedal my feet are within inches , hell an inch of hitting the ground. Is this normal? can i adjust the pedals or is it just something i need to get used to.

thanks for any assistance,

brian

Seat height is something the salesperson at the bike shop should have fit you for, but the leg that is at the bottom of the pedal stroke should have only a slight knee bend. This means that you most likely need to raise your seat. Your legs/knees should NEVER feel cramped when you ride. I am 6’1" and my seat is about 12-14 inches off the frame. As for your second question, you most likely need a higher tire pressure. At your weight, 40 pounds of pressure should work well.

Dude,deffinatly take you and your bike back to the bike store where you bought your bike because your feet are hanging off your pedals and you say your seat is adjusted too low.does’nt sound good.Like flamdrag said,your salesman should have made sure your seat was adjusted at the very least.Your not riding a free ride or down hill bike and you need that seat and the rest of your bike adjusted to your body because with the bike you have you will be doing some pedaling,as in alot of pedaling and your knee’s and hip’s will or may become damaged if you do alot of pedaling with a maladjusted bike.
      As far as your pedal’s feeling like they are coming too close to the ground,some bike’s(like my stumpjumper)have a low bottom bracket built into the bike to help with standover height.It all depend’s on exactly what kinda bike your dealing with and what the manufacturer decided what they wanted built into there bike’s.You may be thinking there’s alot of homework to do to shop for and buy a mountain bike and your right,there are alot of manufacturere’s out there and they all do there own thing that they think is what the public want’s and they do there best to try and satisfy at least the majority of the public.
      I am 6’2" and 280 plbs.,and have been through the ringer trying to make sure I got a bike that work’s for me.I am pretty satisfied with my specialized stumpjumper,although I am seriously thinking of getting a fully ridgid mountain bike and am in the process of picking a brand and builing it up from the ground up and I need to figure out thing’s like bottom bracket height’s,top tube length’s,stem length’s and height’s,etc…etc…
      I hope this help’s dude,when I bought my sj the salesman didnt help me either,although I know a professional mechanic and never asked them to help me so they didnt,you should ask for help from them because you just spent your hard earned money with them and you dont want hurting knee’s or hip’s.

alright, thanks for the input guys. I will take it back to my bike shop and see whatsup

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.