JUMPS

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

For some reason during a jump, mid air my bike likes to sway out from under me, and end up landing crooked, bailing, wipeout. Is there a tip to keep my bike from swaying out to either side mid-air?

Thanks D

Your being a dead duck,so to speak,in other words it means that you are mentally in suspended animation going through the air.Your body is acting like a stiff board,when you jump it’s not just going through the air,a jump starts and stops on the approach and after the landing.Try thinking more in terms of being "cat like",you know how a cat will always land on it’s feet even if you drop or throw him from a upside down position.Your momentum,balance and giroscopic turning of the wheels all play together when taking off of a jump and want to go their own directions,you gotta keep those little ducklings all in a row and in concert so that they are working for you and not against you like when the bike wants to lean one way or another without you.when you are getting airborn you are letting the bike do it’s own thing when you should be controlling it kinda like a skatboarder controls his skateboard,he stay’s in control of his board by staying ahead of the prediction of how it will spin and flip through the air,he doesnt let the board get ahead or behind him so that no matter how many spins or flips he makes the board do while he’s in the air it always lands so it’s under his feet wether on flat ground or angeled ground and what not.Dont be afraid to use your imagination and animate how you jump,again a jump starts and stops on the approach and after the landing.Let me know if this helps,I just winged it and didnt use any text book stuff……… 😎 💡

As above, stay loose on the bike. Sounds like you have the dead sailor Going on. Hate to sound like a broken record as I recommended it in another thread earlier this morning but the Fluidride Like a Pro DVD is an excellent resource for jumping techniques.

A link to a sample clip from the DVD….
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR89Umu6vt4

And a link to the site….
      http://fluidride.com/2008/06/25/fluidri … pro-video/

Did wonders for my jumping (It also covers many other aspects of riding…drops, cornering, braking, etc).

watched the youtube clip, looks great !

Thanks! I think I might have to invest in that dvd. I just switched to flats after 10 years or so of riding with cleats and now my jumping skills are shot! Not that they were spectacular to begin with. But I basically have to train myself to jump all over again. And at 38yo on a full suspension…not fun.

"jaybone" wrote

As above, stay loose on the bike. Sounds like you have the dead sailor Going on. Hate to sound like a broken record as I recommended it in another thread earlier this morning but the Fluidride Like a Pro DVD is an excellent resource for jumping techniques.

A link to a sample clip from the DVD….
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR89Umu6vt4

And a link to the site….
      http://fluidride.com/2008/06/25/fluidri … pro-video/

Did wonders for my jumping (It also covers many other aspects of riding…drops, cornering, braking, etc).

awsome vids….

Awesome youtube videos.

I had this issue for a while I almost gave up jumpin and I’m still weak at it but a friend was followin me when this happened and said ‘dude your pedals were uneven’ meaning one was up the other down. The downside was the direction I was crashin. ‘Keep ’em flat’ he said and that took care of that issue of jumpin, now I just gotta grow bigger berries 😆 😆 and watch the afore metion videos repeatedly. Have fun and…
      Ride-on

I jumped and became a stiff board in the air once, when I landed it was more like a heavy log. I still have the bump in my thigh to prove it. Over a year later 😆

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.