Juggling

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

I have been wondering this for a while now, how do the rest of the singletrackers go about juggling the "real world" (i.e wife, kids, job, etc) with moutain biking? I wish I could go out a lot more then I do, but it is hard with a wife that doesn’t ride and a newborn son. Also being in the military makes it hard due to manditory overtime and weekend work schedules.

I figured it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

Would the wife notice if you took your MTB on week end "drill"? Just checking. 😄 Later,

I’m self employed so I just take off whenever I feel like it. lol 😼

"fat_billy" wrote

Would the wife notice if you took your MTB on week end "drill"? Just checking. 😄 Later,

That has been done before, not saying it won’t be done in the future either… 😆

My wife and son like to sleep in on weekends, so I end up getting out on the trail first thing in the morning. It often makes for sorter rides than I would like but I try to get miles in when I can and daydream about riding when I can’t.

I’m single and work 12 hour shifts (every weekend is either 3 or 4 days long)…makes for A LOT of saddle time. 😄

"mlorenz242" wrote

My wife and son like to sleep in on weekends, so I end up getting out on the trail first thing in the morning. It often makes for sorter rides than I would like but I try to get miles in when I can and daydream about riding when I can’t.

this is what i do, try to get out early on the weekends. it’s getting harder though between grad school, wife, 2 year old son and now expecting another in september!

jtorlando25, Be very carefull. Having 3-4 days a week to ride and no one to ask(beg ect) could generate some varied responces from forum members that can’t. This could lead to your Karma backing over your Dogma if you persist. We are all envious so beware black helicopters. LOL 😄 Later,

I know about the mandantory overtime thing,not to mention the majority of it comes right on riding season.Been at this job for 5 years now and it’s really been cutting into my ride time and especially my figure,hahahahaha.Just got to keep an open eye and just maby somthing will change and my ride time will turn into jtorlando25 kinda ride time,hahahahahahahaha

He lives in a fantasy world…

I work rotating 12 hr shifts so I just try to ride every chance i get. Right now it is hard to ride on my 12 hr day shifts, but if I’m on nights I sacrafice sleep for longer rides. That being said my wife doesnt seem to mind if I’m not spending much time w/ her on the days I work and I don’t have any kids. So I guess this doesn’t help much.

This fantasy world is great. I have ~10 miles of singletrack about 5 minutes from my work (Laurel Hill in Lorton, VA) and another 10+ miles 5 minutes from my home (Rappahannock River trails near the quarry in Fredericksburg)

When the weather is nice, I ride both trails during the week and use the weekends to either drive up to Maryland or down to Richmond.

My riding typically gets in the way of my real world rather than the other way around. 😆

"jtorlando25" wrote

This fantasy world is great. I have ~10 miles of singletrack about 5 minutes from my work (Laurel Hill in Lorton, VA) and another 10+ miles 5 minutes from my home (Rappahannock River trails near the quarry in Fredericksburg)

When the weather is nice, I ride both trails during the week and use the weekends to either drive up to Maryland or down to Richmond.

[i:3b5ti48y]My riding typically gets in the way of my real world rather than the other way around.[/i:3b5ti48y] 😆

First off, where in MD do you ride, I live in the eastern panhandle of WV and pretty much all I ride is MD, VA, and PA…

That is a good, I like that. Sometimes I wish I could say that but when I see my little boy it makes missing a few rides worth it.

"kvnrbrts" wrote

[quote="jtorlando25":3gmbpisf]First off, where in MD do you ride, I live in the eastern panhandle of WV and pretty much all I ride is MD, VA, and PA….

[/quote:3gmbpisf]
      Last summer I rode at Rosaryville and Schaeffer Farm nearly every weekend. Looking forward to getting back up there soon.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.