I've been called a lot of things but…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Interesting, but I can’t say it’s a huge surprise.  Montana has been at the forefront of restricting mountain bike access for some time now.  It seems they’re willing to do just about anything to make bikers not want to ride there so there will be less objection to all their new Wilderness designations.

Maybe we should just boycott the state entirely?

Cyclists, including one of the folks quoted in the article, like to point out the (positive) economic impact cycling can have on local economies. If we truly believe this is the case, then a boycott would be an effective way of using our clout to affect change.

If this were a $25 out-of-state bike license that was necessary because cyclists put a strain on local infrastructure (say, additional trail maintenance was needed), I wouldn’t mind paying it. But if it’s just a punitive tax because some legislator doesn’t like being inconvenienced every once in a while while driving his car, that’s another story. I just don’t get why drivers get so worked up about having to share the road with cyclists. Methinks it’s jealousy.

Those damn cyclists, always causing traffic jams. They should be ashamed of themselves particularly in a state like Montana which is second only to Mexico City in terms of traffic congestion.

Self-centered indeed!

Boycotting the state is a good start. It’s not like Montana is the only place in the continental U.S. where one can ride a bicycle. Who knows, maybe when they miss the sales tax revenue generated by biking/bikers from- bike/part sales, gasoline, hotels/accommodations, car rentals, restaurants/bars, other cultural attractions- they’ll beg us to come back. Shit, many places have special taxes just for renting a car or staying in a hotel, aside from sales tax.

Montana has no state sales tax, but all the other elements are still in play

Maybe we should come in state for one massive event but boycott at the same time.  Buy all our necessities before we cross the border, camp dispersed (not in campgrounds but dispersed on national forest lands) and ride their trails in mass — all with no benefit to them.  We could make it like a one or two week come as you can national event. Cause a bit of raucous and go home.  That might get their goad a bit.  Not sure it would help the situation much. =)  It would be like picketing but without the signs.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.