its getting cold ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

I am from florida now live in wood stock ga what to wear while riding in the cold?

Check out my first article ever on Singletracks, it’s got the info you need: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … er-mtbing/

The biggest things you can get is good gloves and a pair of shoe covers. A lot of other clothing you already own will work for the rest of your body.

"treky92" wrote

The biggest things you can get is good gloves and a pair of shoe covers. A lot of other clothing you already own will work for the rest of your body.

Well, if he’s from Florida, he may not own any other cold-weather clothing.

(I’m secretly scoffing, GA, ya, way north LOL) But, Wool is the best, some might argue for synthetics, but pick up some wool socks at the LBS, I also go with neoprene shoe covers, and layers. Mostly I go with ski or hunting stuff. I’m going to take a good look at that blog post in a minute. Cheers 😃
      [url:3ug83eqi]http://www.singletracks.com/photo.php?c=1&p=50404[/url:3ug83eqi]

Also seems resonable to pack a space blanket, food, etc.

Coming from California 7 years ago I can relate to this question.
      I mountain bike all year. When it’s cold I wear some or all of the following depending on how cold it is:
      insulated tights, shoe covers, moisture wicking t-shirt, thermal long sleeve shirt, windproof cycling jersey, insulated gloves, and insulated head band.

Southern California should fix that.

Nice article Greg, lots of good info there. We ride year round here in Virginia too, except for the usually short periods of snow and ice. Usually a head band for my ears, although if it is not too cold I like the clip on ear muffs just as well (less sweat). Breathable jerseys are a must for me, usually I wear one and carry another, sometimes 2. I just started wearing tights last year and I must say they do work well – even if it does hurt my male pride. I like wool gloves but that is kind of a preference thing. The only thing I have trouble with is my feet. I have tried numerous types of socks and double layers of them but still by the end of the ride my feet are cold – usually from sweating. This year I bought some winter boots and will have to see how that works.

A larger pack is advisable so you can store more gear. If you do big rides in the national forest you will want to be prepared. I always throw in a light because you can run out of day a lot quicker than you think and the penalty for being stuck out in the woods is much more severe in the winter. Have fun and ride on 😃

On top of all the other suggestions, I like to add some face/neck protection when the temps start to dip here in Montana. I usually use a balaclava from Smartwool just to take the sting out of the wind. It’s lightweight, easy to pack, and keeps the chill from hitting my neck/rushing down my shirt.

After driving my daughter from SoCal to yellowstone last spring I’ve come to the conclusion that the further north you go the people are much tougher.

A larger pack is advisable so you can store more gear. If you do big rides in the national forest you will want to be prepared. I always throw in a light because you can run out of day a lot quicker than you think and the penalty for being stuck out in the woods is much more severe in the winter. Have fun and ride on 😃

+1 on being prepared! Tossed a light in my pack for my ride yesterday afternoon, and I’m glad I did because I definitely needed it before I was done!

MTI

+1 on the light! I went riding the other day in the forest it got dark fast. I did not have my bike light with my gear but before I took off I threw in my Surefire Flashlight. I ended up gorilla taping it to my bars. When in doubt always bring a light!

Good info in the article – I ride all year round in Colorado at 7,000 ft. Most important for me is keeping hands, head and feet warm. Microfiber skull cap and earmuffs for the head, toe covers or booties and smartwool socks for the feet, and good gloves. I use BarMitts to keep my hands toasty on the really cold days. Wicking layers with a light weight wind shell will keep you toasty. Enjoy the outdoors all year round!

Not trying to thread jack but what brand thermal tights and long sleeve would you all suggest for temps down into the 30’s?

"Calispec" wrote

Not trying to thread jack but what brand thermal tights and long sleeve would you all suggest for temps down into the 30’s?

I can vouch for these:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … ts-review/

I’m still working on what to wear up top. Currently I use a fleece with my gore tex shell jacket over it, same as I would for skiing.

"Calispec" wrote

My friends all wear Endura exterior clothing….however, all I ever wear is an Under Armour "Coldgear" mock turtleneck even when it’s snowing.

"Calispec" wrote

I like to ride with Smartwool long sleeve base layers and a Pearl Izumu PRO jacket. Keeps me toasty. I have the PRO pants to match, which also work well with Smartwool long underwear for really chilly days, or sometimes I just ride with regular lycra shorts underneath if it is not windy. Two words of caution though: those PI jackets can make you sweat (a lot) so that obviously can cause hypothermia if the temps drop or you are out a long time, but for 2hr rides at or above 30 degrees I am ok. Also, PI outers are expensive and not very abrasion resistant…so if you fall on technical terrain you will tear them. I have a fatbike and often ride in the deep powder…for that, I wear my snowboarding stuff. Hope this helps.

"Calispec" wrote

I would suggest something roomy with understated styling. Also, I’m a big fan of the EcoSmart Fleece System with the soft poly blend.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Boys-Ec … k/23497097

The temperature is getting to about 28F so I will need to break out the winter stuff too

Cannot wait for the snow to get here!

Thanks for the info guys!

As suggested, its best to make notes of what what works for you in what temperature.
      Above 40s, I can do PI skull cap, soft shell over long sleeve jersey, wool socks.
      Below 40s, PI cap, wind breaker over long sleeve jersey, knee warmer and wool socks.
      Below 30’s, balaclava, wind breaker over soft shell amd long sleeve, full tights under my regular mtb shorts, booties.
      Just too lazy to venture out when its in the teens 😃
      And I always bring my wind breaker, just in case. Might be in the 40s at the trailhead but wind chill downhill can get to teens.
      And mtb full finger winter gloves doesnt work for me when it hits below 45. so Im still in the hunt for that, used ski gloves when its really cold, maybe I’ll try bar mitt.

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.