Is Specialized evil?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Or are they just protecting what is theirs?
      http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2013 … -name.html

Kinda makes me glad I did’t buy a Specialized. The local Specialized shop around here is full of an uptight staff anyway. Idk if you can be sure on all the facts in that article, but I don’t have that hard of a time believing it either.

As the author, I can answer any questions you may have about what I wrote.

I used to be a big Specialized fanboy, I rode an old stumpy M2 Team edition, a big S helmet, shoes, gloves…yeah I was that guy. Then I got out of the sport for a few years (I could not afford it)…so whenI came back of course I went to what I knew worked for me and there were these new bikes with shocks in the back too…so I bought a Specialized FS from my LBS…well, I broke the frame…not once, but twice (all within the original warranty period of 2 years). When I called the Canadian distributor to get them to ship me a new frame I was told they would not give me a warranty, that I must have had it set up wrong to have their product fail the same way twice. Well, the shop I bought it from set me up (James of SuspensionWerx fame did it…this was before he started that company though). I was pretty adamant that they send me a new frame so I stayed on the line for over an hour trying to get them to honor their warranty. After much back and forth the guy in charge of warranty’s says…."I will send you a new frame…but I never want to see your name come across my desk again!".

With a few words my faith in the Specialized brand vanished.

Then I start hearing about the IP issues….and even found more when I did my research for this post. It’s really too bad these issues have come up….They do make some of the nicest bikes out on the trails…I mean the Enduro 29 is probably one of the best bikes ever, but who wants to deal with all that crap….not me.

Wow, that’s a lot to deal with. If I hear people talk about bad customer service I stay away from those brands. Anything can fail, but when it happens more than once and they’re not willing to help that’s unacceptable. What brand did you you end up switching to?

I bought a Surly Instigator and rocked it hard tail style for a while (had to get back…then I went to Transition and they were great when I broke a 1st gen covert. I am on Banshee now and they have had the best customer service ever! I love my Prime!

I have been sticking with the smaller brands, love being able to ask the designers and owners questions.

"Rivers Mitchell" wrote

I have been sticking with the smaller brands, love being able to ask the designers and owners questions.

That’s a good point I’ve never thought of. Most of the LBS don’t really carry small brands around here so I’m not that familiar with many.

Yeah, that’s the hard part. I have not ridden my past 5 bikes before I bought them….but I also do a ton of research first and have only been disappointed once (The 1st gen Transition covert was not good).

You are in Trek territory….the Remedy 29 looks awesome, and I don’t think I have ever said that about a Trek bike…haha.

Great article, and I agree with the sentiment. I also think Specialized needs to protect thier brands, so I am kinda torn here. Hearing the author of the article’s story about warranty issues from Specialized has me thinking twice about looking at anything from them, as I am currently bike hunting.

Scott

"Rivers Mitchell" wrote

You are in Trek territory….the Remedy 29 looks awesome, and I don’t think I have ever said that about a Trek bike…haha.

Lol, Yeah Trek is a big brand here in Wisconsin. I actually picked up my first Trek a few weeks ago, but It’s a road bike. I actually only went to look at it because it was a brand new 2013 still sitting on the sales floor even got $300 off the tag 😄 The local Trek store is really friendly as well.

I will steer clear on the trademark issue for now, but my buddy broke his Santa Cruz Blur frame and they sent him a new rear triangle under warranty. When he broke that they sent him a brand new Blur frame. Hard to beat a company that stands behind their product like that, and I can tell you they have a customer for life as result.

It’s really all about the service! If you take care of the people riding your product the word will spread….you can’t pay for that type of advertising!

Awesome to hear about your Santa Cruz experience, they seem to be a pretty good company!

"Rivers Mitchell" wrote

If you take care of the people riding your product the word will spread….you can’t pay for that type of advertising!

One of the first things you learn in Marketing!

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.