Is my Diamondback Topanga ok?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Is my Diamondback Topanga ok?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I am new to Mtn biking but I’m pretty good.(former road biker/runner, converting…) Bought this to try out the sport and now find myself on pretty technical stuff doing well.(keeping up w/ the advanced guys on the trail ahead) I bought this bike for about 350 bucks. Is this ok? Only issue I have so far are the shifting in certain gears. How much better are the more expensive then REALLY expensive bikes? How much more responsive? What’s a suggestion of the next bike that I’ll really notice a difference? Thanks!

cjm

It took a bit to find this bike on the diamond back web page. From what I saw it is a standard entry level bike. At $350 you got neither a screamin’ deal nor ripped off. If you have dialed your road bikes, then dialing shifters on a MTB is the same concept. SRAMs do use 1:1 attenuation (shimano uses 2:1) on the rear shifter, so like a front changer they can be a bit unforgiving of sloppy shifting. On the other hand SRAMs will preform when ridden hard a put away wet, they preform when mucked up and they preform when bent torqued and twisted.

Really expensive bikes do perform much better. Higher end shifters shift with much more consistency. Better brakes will perform better under grueling conditions. Better frames will have a more tightly tuned geometry to the discipline of riding. Not to mention cranks, wheelsets and even something as seeming simple as bars. However, upgrading requires more tightly defining your riding style.

Higher end bikes are built from the ground up for a specific discipline of riding. A DH/FR hardtail and race class XC hardtail aren’t very interchangeable. A DH hardtail will be extremely heavy and very prone to "wheelie out" on climbs. You would be prone to go over the bars taking an XC bike on steep and surly descent. XC bikes will forgo durability to save weight.

There are some upgrades in "General MTBs" but really not worth it since you won’t get much more performance for your money. They are basically the same bike you have now, with better components. You’d be better to upgrade components as they wear out, than going out and buying a new bike, unless you are going for something more discipline specific. At that point you would have to mention what type of riding you are doing. There is robust group of riders on this forum and someone here can point you in the right direction for your chosen discipline.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.