Is MTBing really all that "Green?"

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Is MTBing really all that "Green?"

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, I wrote a blog post today that I thought you all might find interesting. I was thinking about the sport of mountain biking, and despite the fact that cycling is generally considered pretty green, mountain biking isn’t all that eco-friendly.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on whether you think it is or isn’t, and if it matters or not.

Cheers!

(Link in case you didn’t notice it above: http://www.gregridestrails.com/2011/01/ … -that.html )

I was thinking the same thing for the last few weeks! Unless you have a trail behind your house, you have to load the bike on to a car and drive to a trail. My closest trail is 8 miles away, my favorite trail is 24 miles away. So to get my rides in, I have to burn fuel to do so. Most road riders need only roll out their front door and start riding. They have us beat handily as far as being green. But I think we have more fun!

And you have to not exhale while riding…

At the end of the day, people will drive where they can afford to drive. It’s all economics.

Most people don’t care about their CO2 emissions. They care about their finances.

"83stumpjumper" wrote

I was thinking the same thing for the last few weeks! Unless you have a trail behind your house, you have to load the bike on to a car and drive to a trail. My closest trail is 8 miles away, my favorite trail is 24 miles away. So to get my rides in, I have to burn fuel to do so. Most road riders need only roll out their front door and start riding. They have us beat handily as far as being green. But I think we have more fun!

So true!

"Bob_the_Builder" wrote

At the end of the day, people will drive where they can afford to drive. It’s all economics.

Most people don’t care about their CO2 emissions. They care about their finances.

Yeah in the end, I agree with you… mostly. I like to do what I can to be environmentally minded, but I’m no eco-freak.

Good stuff. We also wrote about this a couple years ago:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/uncate … in-biking/

Seems like IMBA is really latching on to #3 from our post, focusing on ways to get singletrack (and pump tracks) into urban areas.

I like Goo’s point that some of us (myself included) don’t drive much for work/school so it’s ok to road trip to sweet singletrack!

I like to split gas with buddies…I have a homemade rack in the back of my truck and I can get 5 bikes back there and 5 guys in the cab. The closest trail to the area were we all live is at least 20 miles, most more. We all load up together instead of driving separate and meeting at the trailhead. That may help a little. Although I do drive a V8… 😕

"kvnrbrts" wrote

I like to split gas with buddies…I have a homemade rack in the back of my truck and I can get 5 bikes back there and 5 guys in the cab. The closest trail to the area were we all live is at least 20 miles, most more. We all load up together instead of driving separate and meeting at the trailhead. That may help a little. Although I do drive a V8… 😕

I do the same, but with 4 bikes/people and a Volvo that gets over 30 MPG.

So I’m asphyxiating WAY more trees than you are. 😼

Well sometimes you have to do a little bad in this world to get some good… 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

So I’m asphyxiating WAY more trees than you are. 😼

actually you are providing one of the reactants for photosynthesis.

"The Skeptical Environmentalist, Measuring the Real State of the World" by Bjorn Lomborg gives a different view of our planet then the fear filled version we hear from Al Gore (he did invent the internet) and others.

In the early to mid 70’s my cousins and I played a game "What color will the river be today" red, blue, orange, black because of the dyes used to color the paper. Now the Nashua River is once again clear, once no life now the fish have returned. Air quality is the same.

Trees breathe CO2. So if I’m emmitting less of it, then the trees have less to breathe. 😉

It certainly is better than if you were gonna go ride atvs or a dirtbike. No exhaust fumes lol. but also it jsut puts you in a green, enviromental mindset (atleast for me)

"SpyderRider" wrote

It certainly is better than if you were gonna go ride atvs or a dirtbike. No exhaust fumes lol. but also it jsut puts you in a green, enviromental mindset (atleast for me)

True that!

Here’s something to consider.

I’ve heard that some people theorize (is that even a word?) that if everyone quit driving to work and started riding their bikes it would have a negative impact on the enviroment because of the additional food we would suddenly start consuming.

"dgaddis" wrote

Here’s something to consider.

I’ve heard that some people theorize (is that even a word?) that if everyone quit driving to work and started riding their bikes it would have a negative impact on the enviroment because of the additional food we would suddenly start consuming.

Not to mention the extra crapping… 😮

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":2glf3x7w]Here’s something to consider.

Not to mention the extra crapping… 😮[/quote:2glf3x7w]

I could see that because the planet would already be way over carrying capacity if everyone lived like Americans.

However, we can grow more food. We can’t create more oil.

It turns out we have a bunch of the oil, we’re just too stupid to go drill for it…

Did you know you could put the entire world’s population into Texas, and the population density would be the same or less than NYC?

"maddslacker" wrote

It turns out we have a bunch of the oil, we’re just too stupid to go drill for it…

Did you know you could put the entire world’s population into Texas, and the population density would be the same or less than NYC?

I believe it! The problem is, the way we live and consume food (mainly the types of food we consume) and other resources, it’s just not sustainable.

Sure it is…but not if we turn ourselves into a 100% consumer economy and trust other countries to supply us.

Drive all the way across the country, and you’l be amazed at how much land and resources we actually have.

18% of greenhouse gasses come from raising meat. I do not sea big push to change that.

Green? Mountain Biking is very green. My previous hobby was motocross after a previous stint at mountain bike addiction. Motorcross= large vehicle with crummy miledge numbers, motorcycle using leaded race fuel, gas powered pressure washer to clean said motorcycle, most motocross tracks consist of over 100 mile round trip in previous mentioned crummy economy vehicle. Mountain Biking= 4 cylinder economy vehicle to haul bike and self to riding area, nearest riding area is 5 miles round trip. Not much of a comparison on which is greener. Sorta tired of hearing about the oil shortage when we have enough but we aren’t allowed to get it. During WWII the Germans didn’t have any oil in the later parts of the war but they made Synthetic fuel and oil. Did they know more in 1945 than we do now? Think not. Mountain biking is as green as any sport than requires any transport. Gonna go lube my chain now! 😄 Later,

I don’t drive so i either use the train and/or cycle everywhere.

I still manage to cycle to work partly, 16Miles in 15Mins. Trying to beat the bus that takes people from the station to the industrial park, it does it in 12 but does an extra 2 miles.

Most people in the office don’t cycle because its too cold or its raining, i just accept it and do it (its Britain after all)

Dac

Don’t want to have to shower in the mens room! Riding to work in the Summer in Georgia is too much for even Mitchem, Right Guard, ect. Does green have to smell that way? Just asking. Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

Green? Mountain Biking is very green. My previous hobby was motocross after a previous stint at mountain bike addiction. Motorcross= large vehicle with crummy miledge numbers, motorcycle using leaded race fuel, gas powered pressure washer to clean said motorcycle, most motocross tracks consist of over 100 mile round trip in previous mentioned crummy economy vehicle. Mountain Biking= 4 cylinder economy vehicle to haul bike and self to riding area, nearest riding area is 5 miles round trip. Not much of a comparison on which is greener. Sorta tired of hearing about the oil shortage when we have enough but we aren’t allowed to get it. During WWII the Germans didn’t have any oil in the later parts of the war but they made Synthetic fuel and oil. Did they know more in 1945 than we do now? Think not. Mountain biking is as green as any sport than requires any transport. Gonna go lube my chain now! 😄 Later,

Great point on the moto comparison. Can I quote you on this? Thinking about doing a post in the future about the impact of moto vs mtb. Can you believe that one of the main reasons singletrack in Montana is getting shut down is because the wilderness people are putting mtbs on nearly the same level as motos? It’s ridiculous!

Easy Goo, Motorcycles and MTBs have the same number of wheels so they must both be dirty and damaging the eco-whatever. They aren’t responsible for anything but one similar trait to link two different things together. Once global warming causes their demise we can drill in Texas and convert oil shale into synthetic fuel and lube our chains to our own comfort levels. Better not use arisol lube do to the Yak fart transport system. Too bad it’ll never end. Huh? 😄 Later,

"Goo" wrote

[quote="fat_billy":btxvpsvb]Green? Mountain Biking is very green. My previous hobby was motocross after a previous stint at mountain bike addiction. Motorcross= large vehicle with crummy miledge numbers, motorcycle using leaded race fuel, gas powered pressure washer to clean said motorcycle, most motocross tracks consist of over 100 mile round trip in previous mentioned crummy economy vehicle. Mountain Biking= 4 cylinder economy vehicle to haul bike and self to riding area, nearest riding area is 5 miles round trip. Not much of a comparison on which is greener. Sorta tired of hearing about the oil shortage when we have enough but we aren’t allowed to get it. During WWII the Germans didn’t have any oil in the later parts of the war but they made Synthetic fuel and oil. Did they know more in 1945 than we do now? Think not. Mountain biking is as green as any sport than requires any transport. Gonna go lube my chain now! 😄 Later,

Great point on the moto comparison. Can I quote you on this? Thinking about doing a post in the future about the impact of moto vs mtb. Can you believe that one of the main reasons singletrack in Montana is getting shut down is because the wilderness people are putting mtbs on nearly the same level as motos? It’s ridiculous![/quote:btxvpsvb]

Goo – one thing you may research for that article: power. How much does a typical moto put down vs a mtn biker.

Back in the day there was a car magazine called Sport Compact Car. Best mag ever about modifying cars for performance and not looks. Anyways, they did a test on an AEM bypass valve for cold air intakes, using an Acura NSX. During the test, they noticed a beach cruiser in the shop, so they all took turns riding it on the dyno to see who could put down the most horsepower. I’m pretty sure the most anyone got was 1.3hp. 😆

That article may be out on the web somewhere still…but even if it’s not, I’m sure there’s other similar tests somewhere you could find.

dgaddis, Feel free to use the post as long as it’s not the mens room. I make stuff up all the time, you’ll see. Fat Billy is a wealth of knowledge no one requested anyway. LOL 😄 Later,

Part 3:

[size=150:xluv5nfc]MTB VS Moto: Which is Greener?[/size:xluv5nfc]

Viewing 28 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.