Is it safe to upgrade my 130mm fork to 150mm?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi, This is my 1st time posting and I would like to ask you guys for some professional advise. I own a marin rift zone 2 (29er) with a rockshox recon RL 130mm travel and rear is rockshox deluxe select R debonair. I’m planning on upgrading my fork travel to 150mm? Is it safe and will my frame be able to handle it? Thanks in advance for your answers.

There are two issues.

Is you bike strong enough to handle a 150mm fork? In general, increasing (or decreasing) fork travel by 10mm is fine. However, increasing by 20mm may make it more likely that you will break the frame. I would check with Marin to see what they think. They will likely say that using a 150mm fork will void your frame warranty.

What will a 150mm fork do to your frames geometry? It will slacken they headtube by about 1* which I would say is a good thing. However, it will also slacken the seattube by about 1* which is a bad thing. This will make the bike climb less well.

If it was me I would play it conservative and go for a 140mm fork like a Fox 36, Marzocchi 36 or Rock Shox 35, Pike, Lyric, or Yari. This won’t alter the geometry much while still giving you a bit more travel and will increasing the quality of the fork. The Recon is a pretty low quality fork. Choosing any of the above options should be a good improvement. Even a 140mm Fox 34 would provide a good improvement though not as stiff. If you’re a heavy person, I wouldn’t recommend the 140mm Fox 34.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.