IRA trail discussion

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

SORBA, myself, (others welcome)and the two neighborhood associations that oversee the park are meeting at the trailhead on Desmond at 3pm on sunday 2-27 to discuss trail issues ??? If you ride here, you might want to check it out. I am riding over that way about 2p for a few laps first. And after

I’ll be very interested to hear what is discussed. Everyone I’ve encountered out there seems to be very positive toward mountain bikers. In fact, mudhunny was out for a ride there last week and a hiker asked if she could go ride her bike on a trail that was starting to get overgrown to help establish it better!

Yeah,that all sounds very cool,people getting together at the trail head instead of an office to iron things out…..

But……..muddhoney only weighs a buck and has carbon wheels,it’ll take her a hundred years to run that trail in…………better get out there and help her…hahahahaha

It was a most excellent meeting on the trails at IRA. This park has some private property on it, but 90% of it is county land. The two neighborhood Associations nearest the park have "control" of the property. (Clairemont Heights / Medlock). Walkers are a little confused with the maze of back and forth the trails have become. The proposal is to add a "blazed" walking trail, pretty much straight back to the river, then continuing in a counter clockwise. There is a proposed bridge closed to the water works / new water tower that will connect MM & IRA. Does anyone have a GPS view of the trails that can be posted?? The "highground" section was discussed and all were very pleased what has been built there. Charles from SORBA was blown away by what we have out there. He had the handy IMBA trail solution book that he gave to the NA after referencing it at every concerned sectinon. After the meeting I took him through IRA/MM/POT. He suggests we open the dialog with Mason Mill again to get official status. Every trail was expertly built and very sustainable. We’all should be proud!!

Sounds like the meeting went well. Which section of "back and forth trails" were the walkers concerned about?

Getting the parks department to officially recognize the trails is a good idea – but only if we think they’ll say yes. Otherwise they may officially [i:blzit1xl]prohibit[/i:blzit1xl] bikes going forward. Thoughts? I guess my real question is, what is there to gain if the trails become official vs. the current status?

we discussed that. As long as they (the county) knows we are using it, and accept the fact that the NA condones it, its all good. This is not big enough of a park to "draw" mtb’ers from OTP. Even if Mason Mill is connected by bridge, it’s still not quite enough. Well maybe it is, but the IRA entrance doesn’t really have any good spots to park. We now park on the bottom of Park Drive, but if there are 10-15 cars/trucks parked there on weekends, then the non users might start complaining. And we do not want any complaining. So now it looks like its just gonna be locals and dirty mustachers. The NA was not aware of what SORBA did at Morningside. I suggested they go over and check it out. But they do not want any parking lots.

Yeah, Morningside is a good example. There’s no parking lot for bikers which keeps it off the radar a bit (the short length of the trail also deters people from driving to ride there). I live about 3 miles from Ira B. Melton and frankly I’d be embarrassed to drive over there. Heck, I’d even be embarrassed to drive to Morningside which is at least 7 miles away. 😀

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.