IPHONE 4S as a sports camera?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Evening guys/gals,

I was just curious to see if anyone has tried or is currently using their IPHONE as a sports camera? If so hows the quality and what mount are you using?

I use the GPS on my phone as a tracker for miles, hills, etc and it works really well! But that doesn’t really answer your question..

Yeah I currently shoot all of my photos with an iPhone 4S. I used to use a P&S, but when I bought my iPhone I realized it had much better quality. Is it comparable to a DSLR? No, but it’s pretty dang good for something that you’ll probably already be carrying in your pack. It can shoot pretty high resolution, and shoot at a fast pace.

If you really want to turn it into a decent camera, buy the Camera+ app. It’s a few bucks, but is so worth it! It adds numerous options, including focus options, white balance, etc… but what you might be most interested in for sports shots is the burst mode. It can shoot a ton of photos rapid fire while in burst mode if you just press and hold the button. The size of the images it shoots in burst mode are smaller, but they are still really crisp. Even when not in burst mode, you can set it up to shoot pretty quickly and catch full-res action shots.

One of the big benefits of Camera+ is the ability to edit your photos on the phone before you upload (or before you even save to your phone’s camera roll), including cropping, filters, and more.

Long story short: it can work well as a sports camera, if you buy the right app and use it right!

I assumed he meant video…

"maddslacker" wrote

I assumed he meant video…

Oh i missed the part about the "mount."

Yup sorry about the confusion =]. I suppose I should of said video recorder. Thank you though i will be sure to check that app out.

I would be curious to also know any good and value priced iPhone helmet mounts. The 4s and 5 have quite good on the fly video stabilization and take decent video. I have a countourHD but it lacks stabilization.

Any tips on this?

Mace

My buddy shot a video with his iphone 5 mounted to his handlebar and the video looked like crap. Poor quality and shakey. It’s not even worth the effort IMO.

"jtorlando25" wrote

My buddy shot a video with his iphone 5 mounted to his handlebar and the video looked like crap. Poor quality and shakey. It’s not even worth the effort IMO.

+1

me too, Yeah I currently shoot all of my photos with an iPhone 4S. I used to use a P&S. Image

I’d be really wary to use an Iphone as a sport video device. Iphones aren’t built for that kind of ruggedness, so I’d figure you’d probably wreck the internal components with the vibration alone.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.