Internal Geared Hub on a MTB?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

So quick question: Why is there no internally geared hub for MTBikes? I see the Shimano Alfine and Sram I-Motion hubs for commuters that accept disc brakes. I know that the spacing is for a road bike, but is there a reason we are not seeing more people put those on MTBikes? I really can’t see a good reason to not have one on a MTBike, mainly because of the sealed gearing, and shifting under load. Why is there no MTBike specific internally geared hub?

Why? Too heavy and don’t need it. 😄 Later,

You mean like this?
      http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content … ype-..html

The issue is not functionality, it’s weight. That hub weighs 1,600 grams. My entire wheelset on my 26" bike weighs 1,590 grams.

As saind before, the weight. Plus you can’t fix it on a trail, if something is wrong with it

I’ve got it! A different class of mountain bikes. How about the "English" mountain bike? Must have a basket on the front. The high dollar riders will have titainium baskets. Fender or no fenders classes. Toe clips or flats? Nevermind I’m going back to my room now. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

Nevermind I’m going back to my room now. 😄 Later,

Isn’t that the basement of your parents? 😆

Yes brianW, it was for years. Did your basement call my basement? Just asking. 😄 Later,

Thanks guys, that makes lots of sense. You would lose some weight from losing the cassette, shorter chain, front derailleur and rear derailleur. On the other hand, that really doesn’t get anywhere close to regaining that weight. It just seems to me that it would be fantastic to not have to worry about any mud or grime in the gearing and being able to shift under load.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that google chrome has a biker in their staff for spellcheck now? The know what the correct spelling for derailleur is now!

"jeremiahbwhite" wrote

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that google chrome has a biker in their staff for spellcheck now? The know what the correct spelling for derailleur is now!

Or a frenchman…

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.