Injuries

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys…. thought this would be an interesting topic.

What are the most common injuries you guys get when you’re riding?
      What is the worst injury you’ve obtained biking?
      Does it ever prevent you from biking and how long are you out for?
      (Pictures are worth 1000 words too)

Common is a chainring tattoo on my calf and/or shin. It’s annoying but not debilitating in any way.
      I also frequently bang parts of myself on rocks, but I’m too stubborn to wear body armor.
      All minor falls seem to land me on my left elbow. It’s scarred beyond belief.

Worst is a broken clavicle (<- x-ray pic) combined with a broken pinky and major trail rash. I was on a downhill fireroad and didn’t see a drop coming. I hit it going about 30 MPH and launched about 10-12 feet forward, dropping about 8-10 feet and landing on my head and left shoulder/arm/etc. I was out from April to Sept with that one, and it forever changed the way I ride. My left hand was on the brake lever and I hit so hard that the force pulled the v-brake noodle completely through the housing. I was also picking pieces of sand out of my shoulder for a year afterword, and it was two years before I could sleep comfortably in my left side.

On a related note…the ER doc said that given the damage to my Giro Xen helmet, it likely save my life.

Dang madslacker!!! That sounds rough!

99% of my falls are low speed, usually when I stall out coming out of a creek crossing or ditch or something along those lines. I’ll get bruised a little, maybe a little cut or two, but nothing major.

I’ve been lucky and haven’t had many high speed crashes. When they do happen I just stay on the bike and ride it to the ground…putting your hand out to catch yourself is how collar bones and arms get broken. Worst injury from a high speed crash so far has been trail rash and a bruised ribs. The ribs kept me off the bike for two weeks, and took over a month to heal completely.

Worst injury I’ve ever had on the bike, and the only one to send me to the ER, was when the front wheel came off my bike going 3mph in a parking lot. Instantaneously I was catapulted onto my face, two of my upper teeth went thru my lower lip, and then got chipped when they hit the asphalt. That SUCKED. Had to get a stitch in my lower lip, and once it healed up had to visit the dentist for x-rays of my teeth. Eventually they’ll die and I’ll need a root canal, but there’s no telling when that’ll happen. Could be this year, could be 30yrs from now.

Worst part of ^^^ that was I had just bought a ring to propose to my then girlfriend…so I had to wait till I was healed up before I could pop the question. 😆 And because of that accident I was banned from bike for the few weeks leading up to the wedding 😃

The most common is on my legs. I get little random cuts from all kinds of crap.

The worst was when I came around a corner going around 25mph and clipped a tree with my handlebars… Sent me flying and I landed on the corner of a skinny ladder. My left wrist slammed a rock and broke… I was off the trails for 4 weeks but I slapped on my platforms and was tearing up the neighborhoob! 😼

Typical injury for me, leaves me with a sprained wrist or a huge gash. Worst crash, fractured elbow, was out for 6 months. 😮

Regularly get scrapes and bruises. Have broken 3 ribs(at one time) and broken the L1 and compressed the T10. was off the bikes for 6 months. These were 2 separate crashes. 6 months was the back and 2 months was the ribs.

Worst: dislocated shoulder. Off the bike 6 weeks.

Most common: gashes requiring stitches.

Lots of minor cuts, abrasions, bashed elbows/knees, and a few shiners from going OTB, but I don’t actually call any of that "injuries." If it doesn’t require a trip to the ER, it’s not really an injury 😎

Luckily on a mountain bike I have been lucky enough to only get the usual bumps,scrapes, bruises, and cuts but nothing major.
      I did however just get back into mountain biking this January after about a 12 year hiatus. Prior to that I had sustained enough injuries while in the Marine Corps that through multiple reconstructive surgeries, lots of hardware, and years of rehab I had to seek out an activity for exercise that was lower impact than running and backpacking.
      So here I am hoping I take things a little slower and more cautiously than I used to, so I can refrain from the nasty injuries.

"UtPreacher" wrote

Luckily on a mountain bike I have been lucky enough to only get the usual bumps,scrapes, bruises, and cuts but nothing major.
      I did however just get back into mountain biking this January after about a 12 year hiatus. Prior to that I had sustained enough injuries while in the Marine Corps that through multiple reconstructive surgeries, lots of hardware, and years of rehab I had to seek out an activity for exercise that was lower impact than running and backpacking.
      So here I am hoping I take things a little slower and more cautiously than I used to, so I can refrain from the nasty injuries.

Yea, funny how the government beats you up, but has a fit if you’re injured off duty.

Oddly enough, all mine seem to be when after I return. Just last month I wiped out landing off a lunch over a creek and clipped a log, which sent me over the bars. Almost pulled it off on my front wheel, but too much forward pitch to make it, so down I go snapping my GoPro mount off the side of the helmet and all the while, my oldest is dying laughing on top of the hill behind me on the other side of the creek, "Daddy wrecked!!!!" Thanks son, thanks.

Just got bruised ribs, and one physically still doesn’t feel right. Of course, my doc says, "Ahhh you’re good, come back later if it still hurts after a month." I think I heard…lol Aside from that, usually cuts from the Straitlines to the legs, busted knuckles on trees…

Most common issue, Poison Ivy and Oak. 😆

thanks for sharing your great experiences. Glad to be here.
      There are many trips for learning. 😀

[color=#FAFAFA:2ewvwd84]Bear trapping most of the time. Random thorn going by a bush tree or cactus. Worst was a badly broken leg while road riding. Took me off the bike for six months. Road riding is far more dangerous than MTB. Cars are bad news.[/color:2ewvwd84]

Most common are cosmetic injuries — scratches to forearms, knuckles, and legs, especially from random prickers or branches. I’ll also throw in the occasional sore back from too many roots and rocks. Ooh, and my pride. I hurt my pride a lot.

Worst was landing on my head after a bad jump in 2008. I passed out twice with a [i:2oc2uo79]really [/i:2oc2uo79]bad concussion. I don’t know if I’d be here if I wasn’t wearing a helmet.

I went over the bars a week ago. Fractured some vertebrae, and lots of gravel rash on the back. First impact was on my head, but the LG Carve helmet did it’s job. I’m glad to be up and walking. Hoping for a quick recovery. I’m sure my race season is done for the summer, but I can’t wait to get the legs a spinning again. One day at a time.

Most common injury is bear trap and lacerations due to riding to close to hostile plant life. I’ve injured my SI joint riding an HT on rough singletrack. A few weeks ago a dog grabbed my leg and left a small laceration. Had to be treated for rabies. The worst injury was a rotational fracture of the leg which broke the head of the fibula off and broke the tibia at the knee as well as tore the ligaments between the tibia and fibula. This injury took me out of action for six months. Two surgeries and a few pins as well as three months no weight baring.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.