Incorrect use of Strava

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

So Strava is kind of a hot topic in biking, especially for those jerks who blow past people on a trail simply yelling "Strava!" on the way by, desperately searching for that KOH title to make their wee-wee feel better…. but I digress.

Am I the only one who is incorporate this into [i:242y8lks]daily life[/i:242y8lks]? A car cut my girlfriend and I off in traffic this morning on the highway and I just yelled out "Strava!" She had NO idea what happened as I went into a fit of laughter.

I tend to do this at very inopportune times, whenever someone cuts in front of someone in line at the coffee shop, traffic, when people rush before you to get through the revolving door at Macy’s…. "STRAVA!"

😃 😃 😃

LOL! I don’t normally incorporate it into my daily life but I probably will now. Thank you for the laugh.

"Fitch" wrote

So Strava is kind of a hot topic in biking, especially for those jerks who blow past people on a trail simply yelling "Strava!" on the way by, desperately searching for that KOH title to make their wee-wee feel better…. but I digress.

Am I the only one who is incorporate this into [i:3dsqup6k]daily life[/i:3dsqup6k]? A car cut my girlfriend and I off in traffic this morning on the highway and I just yelled out "Strava!" She had NO idea what happened as I went into a fit of laughter.

I tend to do this at very inopportune times, whenever someone cuts in front of someone in line at the coffee shop, traffic, when people rush before you to get through the revolving door at Macy’s…. "STRAVA!"

😃 😃 😃

Haha Too Funny. A one word excuse for rudeness and impatience by bike, car or foot. I’ll bet the inventor of Strava is proud of their prodigy. 😆

wth is "strava"?

ty, That’s what I found on google too, but I don’t know how it works.

[url:3k26ujlj]http://www.strava.com/how-it-works[/url:3k26ujlj]

I see, ty

Love it! Thanks for the best laugh of the week.

Really, people ride around yelling "STRAVA" to try and get open track? I do wonder how some of the KOM times are set around me, but I always assume they just got lucky and had open trail.

I may just respond with "THIS. IS. STRAVA!" if I’m ever given the opportunity.

I think some of my buds are using Strava to compete against each other on climbs also. Not quite as much potential for conflict there.

At my ride speed I am pretty indifferent to the whole concept, going up or down. 😆

Good stuff. I can’t wait to use this phrase now. You may have just started a movement.

I downloaded the app a while ago, but have yet to use it. I’m not that interested in competing for best times, but I was curious to see how it works from a tracking/gps perspective.

I’ve been using Strava for a little while now…anyone who’s really thinks they’re ‘racing’ with it is just flat out crazy. On my commute into work this morning I managed to get a King of the Mountain on a descent. Riding a heavy bike with rack and fenders, and a pannier hanging off the side. And I caught a red light. Every ride I’ve done so far has put me in the top ten, sometimes top 5, for at least one segment. Granted, there aren’t a ton of people using here like that in some other places, but still. When I’m top 5 out of 64 people….well, I’ve done enough real racing to know that’s bogus 😆

I got a Personal Best … by taking the stairs at the Wall of Shame on Deer Creek Canyon trail. 😆

If you ride out here, KOM has merit as a lot of pros train on the trails around here.

However it is never ok to use it as justification for being a turd. I just like using it to track my own progression, or regression in some cases. 😏

"maddslacker" wrote

I got a Personal Best … by taking the stairs at the Wall of Shame on Deer Creek Canyon trail. 😆

If you ride out here, KOM has merit as a lot of pros train on the trails around here.

However it is never ok to use it as justification for being a turd. I just like using it to track my own progression, or regression in some cases. 😏

Yeah I get that. It’s cool that it keeps track of you best, 2nd best, 3rd best, etc times on various segments. It’s a great tool, just don’t take it too seriously. I’ve ‘bested’ people on Strava who I know would kick my butt in a real race…some of them have done it before lol.

Personally, I use strava primarily to track and log my own statistics. Has great organizational tools for doing that.

Yes, it is a great tool to aggregate stats. I like being able to go out for run and see how my times stacked up against previous runs. And when I had a good run and get a number of PRs (400m, 1k, etc.), it just adds to the satisfaction.

On the trails, it is just another way to track my progress on getting into better shape and becoming a better biker. I tend to fall into the middle of the pack on most segments I do, so my only goal is to slowly climb up the ladder and post better times.

Sorry for the low-brow, but a buddy I ride with hooked up with a girl recently and apparently it "all ended too quickly."

He claims to have called "Strava" under his breath. Well played! 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃

Its fun to try and do better when riding. I try not to be stupid and push myself faster and beyond my abilities. If anything I try to climb a little faster falling at 3 to 6 MPH doesn’t hurt as bad. When I run into hikers when riding I usually slow down and acknowledge them and pass at a safe pace. Sometimes I will stop and just have a little small talk if they seem half interesting. You never know what kind of characters you might meet.

Just wait till someone yells back .. "and you are slowing me down.." HAHAHAHA

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.